Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20d..improved IQ.

I"m in Australia and the sun here doesn"t shine-it intrudes even in the middle of winter !! So I"ve been doing battle in the middle of the day with deep shadows and blown highlights. Tried several things to overcome this including the use of various filters (cir.PL and grad ND) They helped but lowering the contrast 3 stops did the job really well .
It improved the IQ no end but the saturation needs bumping up 1 stop to compensate.
The dynamic range adjustment seemed to do nothing. This was in bright mode.I"ve also settled on 400 as the base iso.
All is well

07-23-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Forum Member

Interesting, I might have a play. Having same issues here in Brisbane
07-23-2009, 04:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good way to avoid this issue is to shoot raw for starters and then rectify the problems in LR or PS. I use spot metering, so you can set the exposure on the bright part of the image (typically the sky or clouds) then while holding the shutter button half way recompose the shot and take the picture. The rest of the image may be under exposed but this can easily be recovered with some judicious PP while retaining the sky detail. I have had no issues with my K20 in this regard. Hope this helps. I am in WA so have the same issues but this camera seems to cope very well...good luck!
07-23-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
I"m in Australia and the sun here doesn"t shine-it intrudes even in the middle of winter !! So I"ve been doing battle in the middle of the day with deep shadows and blown highlights. Tried several things to overcome this including the use of various filters (cir.PL and grad ND) They helped but lowering the contrast 3 stops did the job really well .
It improved the IQ no end but the saturation needs bumping up 1 stop to compensate.
The dynamic range adjustment seemed to do nothing. This was in bright mode.I"ve also settled on 400 as the base iso.
All is well
Shooting RAW, would likely improve even more.
I didn't use it the first year of owning K10. But when I finally tried it, it wasn't hard.

07-23-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
A good way to avoid this issue is to shoot raw for starters and then rectify the problems in LR or PS. I use spot metering, so you can set the exposure on the bright part of the image (typically the sky or clouds) then while holding the shutter button half way recompose the shot and take the picture. The rest of the image may be under exposed but this can easily be recovered with some judicious PP while retaining the sky detail. I have had no issues with my K20 in this regard. Hope this helps. I am in WA so have the same issues but this camera seems to cope very well...good luck!
that's what the ae-l button is for.
07-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
that's what the ae-l button is for.
or the setting AE lock with AF lock.
07-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
i thought that was only for matrix metering?
07-24-2009, 04:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
All is well
Move to Tasmania

07-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by attack11 Quote
i thought that was only for matrix metering?
Not that I know: I don't find any reference in the manual of this being restricted to matrix?
Could be a 'hidden feature' though .
07-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #10

Original Poster
Move to Tasmania.....

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Move to Tasmania
Gday David...even the K20 earns its keep there......
07-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys,,,I would add that my preferred mode is AV with the rear wheel adj. aperture and the front iso...very,very adaptable to just about any conditions (even the night with 6400 )