Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 And Astrophotography

Has anyone had any luck with their K7 and astrophotography?

I've taken a couple of 30" exposures at 200 - 800 iso, seem to get decent results but im limited with my location been so close to Melbourne.

How have others gone?

07-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

yeah get in contact with Cyclone on this forum, he is vice president of the Newcastle Astronomical Society and he uses a K7 and should be able to help you out

here is there website home
07-24-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I don't know if it is considered astro photography but Pentaxpoke who is a member of this forum has some spectacular shots at the outer edge of the earth's atmosphere, I forgot the link.

cheers,

Rene
07-24-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Banned

Pentax K-7 1000mm Pentax lens of Twilight Moon

Last edited by jogiba; 07-24-2009 at 01:21 PM.
07-25-2009, 03:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Has anyone had any luck with their K7 and astrophotography?

I've taken a couple of 30" exposures at 200 - 800 iso, seem to get decent results but im limited with my location been so close to Melbourne.

How have others gone?
When the K7 was first announced, I was excited as a 10 year old on Christmas eve, but now that reality has sunk in, I am extremely disappointed and I have no plans to purchase the K7.

The K7 suffers from the same fatal flaw that ruined the K20D for astrophotography and that is the forced DFS.

The 2009 Perseids meteor shower is approaching and I borrowing a Canon to take out as my primary camera. Last year's I missed a very bright fireball (within the field of view of my K20D) because the K20D was doing a 10 minute DFS!! %^$@ was I pissed! I missed many other potentially great photos for the same reason.... but the fireball loss really annoyed me! I still get angry thinking about that!

Sorry to tell you but if you plan to do a lot of long exposures, don't bother with the K20D or the K7.
07-25-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
When the K7 was first announced, I was excited as a 10 year old on Christmas eve, but now that reality has sunk in, I am extremely disappointed and I have no plans to purchase the K7.
Because you'd have bought a K-7 soley for astrophoto?
Seems an expensive option to me ...

Sorry to tell you but if you plan to do a lot of long exposures, don't bother with the K20D or the K7.
Seems logical conclusion.
07-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
BTW, I took a 20 seconds Exposure today (granted, it was blank test picture) with the K-7 and there was no slow behaviour AT ALL after the exposure.

Of course I did deactivate the corresponding Custom Function.
Maybe, pentaxmz, you may want to try the body before juming to conclusions ?

07-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
BTW, I took a 20 seconds Exposure today (granted, it was blank test picture) with the K-7 and there was no slow behaviour AT ALL after the exposure.

Someone wrote that it kicks in after some tima anyway - no matter if it's on or off. Was it like 25s or mor?

QuoteQuote:
The 2009 Perseids meteor shower is approaching and I borrowing a Canon to take out as my primary camera. Last year's I missed a very bright fireball (within the field of view of my K20D) because the K20D was doing a 10 minute DFS!! %^$@ was I pissed! I missed many other potentially great photos for the same reason.... but the fireball loss really annoyed me! I still get angry thinking about that!
Talk about unfortune. Thats why i love my k200d but im already looking to the canon because of this and removed remote support, those are just a must in a DSLR grade camera. Anyway.. few days ago i was shooting Jupiter.. when i got bored, i pointed my 135/3.5 at some random portion of sky.. just before i was about to shoot, i decided to tune my shutter speed a bit (Jupiter allows for pretty low, compared to plain sky).. the very moment Whhooosh a yellow-red, broad fireband in a perfect composition flew trought my viewfinder (and the faster shutter speed would have been near perfect)...

I was standing for some 5 minutes, thinking how can you randomly point a 135 to the same exact location just before the meteor and acting so logically miss a shot. Decided i must go sleep.
07-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because you'd have bought a K-7 soley for astrophoto?
Seems an expensive option to me ...

Seems logical conclusion.
My work requires a camera to record low light objects (usually 30 min. exposures). I can't use my K20D for this so I had to get a Canon D50.

I also can't effectively use my K20D for fireworks, lightning, or any sort of long exposure photographer like astrophotography.

In August is the Perseid meteor shower.... I won't be using my K20D for that either... that would be plain silly!

So... that's why I had hoped that the K7 would solve my little ol'problem. I was very disappointed.
07-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

With all due respect, it is you that is jumping to conclusions.

We (or at least I) am talking about bulb mode exposures and I am talking about exposures significantly longer than 20 seconds. Try minutes... 5, 10, 15... whatever... each one is doubled, whether on the K20D or the K7.
07-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With all due respect, it is you that is jumping to conclusions.

We (or at least I) am talking about bulb mode exposures and I am talking about exposures significantly longer than 20 seconds. Try minutes... 5, 10, 15... whatever... each one is doubled, whether on the K20D or the K7.
Totally agreed.. I am very disappointed on that :ugh:I am not sure why Pentax want to do that to the CMOS sensor...
07-27-2009, 11:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

First of all, indeed, DFS is only activated in Bulb mode and if exposure is longer than 30 seconds. So, if you want to expose for several minutes, you have to deal with DFS.

One solution for astroshooters would be to use two bodies. If you set them to use the same exposure times, one of the two should always be available while the other is doing DFS. Of course setting them both up so that there are no parallax problems could be a problem in some cases, but I suspect with most astrophotography that is not a issue?

Wim
07-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the the only way around it is multexposure in body, but then you need to know how many exposure you need and you need to be there pressing shutter control :P
07-29-2009, 05:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
First of all, indeed, DFS is only activated in Bulb mode and if exposure is longer than 30 seconds. So, if you want to expose for several minutes, you have to deal with DFS.

One solution for astroshooters would be to use two bodies. If you set them to use the same exposure times, one of the two should always be available while the other is doing DFS. Of course setting them both up so that there are no parallax problems could be a problem in some cases, but I suspect with most astrophotography that is not a issue?

Wim
Good point, to simply set up two bodies.

I'm blown away by the work of Pentaxian Martin Zalba :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=29136989
07-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #15
Banned

evening moon with Celestron 9.25

2350mm F10:

YouTube - Pentax K-7 test of the evening moon with Celestron 9.25 ( 2350mm F10) in 1536x1024 *** mode

With F6.3 focal reducer:

YouTube - Pentax K-7 test of the evening moon with 1480mm F6.3