Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Couldn't resist the urge to buy a K-7!

So today (I'm still over in Europe) I couldn't resist the urge, and I went down to the store and decided to buy myself a K-7.

I played around with it a little and had a really hard time adjusting to the controls, since the K20D's button layout is completely different. In particular, I really miss the presence of the bracketing button (but now I've configured the USER mode to automatically bracket). After a good 20 minutes, I finally found out how to change the ISO setting to manual, and how to bracket. Up to that point, I was actually more disappointed than pleased with the camera...until

I actually took a photo. The speed at which the camera took the 3 bracketed images really shocked me, as well as the speed in continuous mode. The 5.2FPS sure makes a big difference! The AF accuracy and speed also seemed to be at least as good as that of the K20's.

The large screen resolution also makes photos appear crystal-clear, even if you don't zoom in. That's another bonus!

So, in conclusion, here's my short list of pro's and con's so far:

Pro's:
-Faster framerate
-Larger screen
-Quieter operation
-HDR
-Info button is very handy

Con's:
-Small size of the mode selector wheel
-The lock button on the selector wheel makes it really hard to switch modes- particularly from P to USER
-No FN button
-Harder to change ISO
-Fewer physical buttons

Also, I personally find LiveView to be a complete waste. I don't see why Pentax places so much emphasis on it, and insists on mimicing the other brands in that respect. It's only useful when you can't actually move your eye up to the viewfinder (i.e. when pointing the lens up at a really high angle on a tripod, for moon shots).

IMO, if Pentax had worked on coming out with 5.2FPS a year earlier, instead of focusing on silly features, they would have been in much better shape, and would have gained some popularity.

Attached are shots of the new camera, and a sample shot I took in continuous mode (100% crop includedas well). Quite sharp if you ask me! FA* 85mm at F2.4 and 1/250s.

I'll post more remarks later, probably as replies. I'll also be selling the 18-55mm WR lens, NIB, soon.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could've sworn that 100% crop wasn't a 100% crop. Such an amazing amount of detail. Killer lens & body combo.

PS: Congratulations on your new purchase, and enjoy!
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I never used liveview on the K20D, but with getting into wildlife/birding I find myself occasionally using it on the 50D when I stick a TC on the 400 and lose autofocus -- for static/slow moving subjects it's pretty damn neat actually! I am simply not capable of manual focusing with the precision needed for very long teles and their limited depth of field on a crop body with its smaller viewfinder...
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
-Harder to change ISO
Can you elaborate, Adam ?

There is a dedicated ISO button, and you can still assign ISO directly to an e-dial in Av and Tv mode. I don't find it harder than on the K10D.

Of course, one must "unlearn" the position of the ISO (Ok), EV comp and Green buttons from the KxxD, but that is, IMHO, just a matter of habit.

07-23-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It will definitely take a little bit of time to get used to. However, here's what bugged me as far as that goes-

To enable Auto ISO, you have to hit the green button while holding the ISO button. But if you want to go back and disable it, instead of using the green button, you have to use the scrollwheel. Wouldn't it be much better if hitting the green button would toggle it on and off?

The other thing that annoyed me is that the ONLY thing you can change on the info screen is the Auto ISO range. You can't toggle Auto on/off from there, nor can you manually select a desired ISO without also using the new ISO button.

All this seems like a bit of a mess to me. They should have made it so you can change everything on the screen like you could on the K10/K20, and then just used the new ISO button as a supplement.

The new location of the buttons is fine by me, and once I get used to it, I'm sure it won't be much of a problem. But the mode-selector wheel (with it's lock button) and the lack of a bracketing button will continue to be a burden for me, I think. Also, the removal of the SR button is also a little inconvenient- now I have to go into the menu every time I put my camera on a tripod, instead of just flicking the switch.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm trying really hard not to be jealous of all these "5.2fps and lightning AF" posts. My K20 is just now starting to feel like a natural extension of me...

I'll also be selling the 18-55mm WR lens, NIB, soon.
Hmmm... what's your marketplace feedback like?

(Consider a PM almost sent.)
07-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
If you want to reserve the lens, be my guest. I won't be able to ship it until August 20th, though, unfortunately.

Adam

07-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

To enable Auto ISO, you have to hit the green button while holding the ISO button. But if you want to go back and disable it, instead of using the green button, you have to use the scrollwheel. Wouldn't it be much better if hitting the green button would toggle it on and off?
IMO it's about consistency. You can always enable Auto ISO using the green button + ISO button. You don't have to remember what 'mode' you're in, you don't have to look after the small letters on the viewfinder/LCD; you can do it blindfolded, if you wish. I like it better this way
Not that I played much with the K-7.

07-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
To me, that's great, but the rest seems to display the exact opposite of consistency. I'll post more updates after I make my first photo gallery with the K-7; that'll likely be during the weekend.

Adam

07-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Also, the removal of the SR button is also a little inconvenient- now I have to go into the menu every time I put my camera on a tripod, instead of just flicking the switch.
I often use mirror lock up (delay timer on K100D) on a tripod which automatically disables the SR anyhow, but I agree that it is a nuisance to go through menus to disable SR on a K-7.
I would have kept the SR button if only to make customers in a shop ask where that button is on a Canikon body (starting a useful "value for money" discussion).

Congratulations on your new camera! I was surprised to see you buying it in a foreign country. Would it not be cheaper and easier to have it serviced at your home base?
07-25-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I guess that this may need a thread of it's own but it is in response to something you said Adam.

I wonder what features would be needed in a basic but performance camera? and anyone would ever make a camera like that.

Basically, a 'pro' camera with NO bells or whistles.
NO
hdr, filters, movie, level, horizon correction etc

YES
fps, af speed, bracketing, lots of buttons etc.

Get rid of the 3" screen and make the fastest STILL photographic tool possible with no frills. I think i would have bought that instead of the K7. Sure the frills are fun and we use em cause we paid for for em but did we really want em?

mike
07-26-2009, 01:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I also tried the K7 in a store, and found it very responsive, compared to my K10. And I agree, about time, Pentax upped the fps.
Looking forward to your future experiences with it.

I wonder how it is gonna be, to have K7 and coupled with back-up K10/K20 body. Going back and forth between the controls.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I never used liveview on the K20D, but with getting into wildlife/birding I find myself occasionally using it on the 50D when I stick a TC on the 400 and lose autofocus -- for static/slow moving subjects it's pretty damn neat actually! I am simply not capable of manual focusing with the precision needed for very long teles and their limited depth of field on a crop body with its smaller viewfinder...
Thanks for your info, good point
07-26-2009, 01:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
.....I agree that it is a nuisance to go through menus to disable SR on a K-7.
You don't need to wade through multiple levels of menus to disable SR.
Just press the INFO button, its on the 2nd page of the Control Panel.
07-26-2009, 03:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Congrats Adam, enjoy your new toy! You deserve it.

Ben
07-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #15
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done on your purchase Adam.
Well worth the money paid!
No go ahead and put it to good use!