Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #1

Help a Minneapolis Pentaxian

Hello, I'm having a serious problem with my K10D. It seems that I get a "Memory Card Error" when the camera is on, but only if the battery grip is connected! Pentax informs me that I will need to send in the camera and grip for diagnosis, but I want to do some investigating myself beforehand.

Is there anyone in Minneapolis who has a D-BG2 battery grip who is willing to meet me? I wish to connect your grip to my camera so test if the K10D is causing the problem or if it is my grip. I'm sure I can replace the grip for less than the cost of sending it to Pentax.

As a token of my appreciation I can supply coffee/beer/fixer to the first gentleman or lady who can assist me.

_Jim

07-23-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jim, as I do not have the grip in question I just wanted to say welcome to the forums. Also hopefully one of the numerous MNtaxians will be able to help. If worse comes to worse you could try meeting up with us at the K7 Road Tour next week. No details on the time yet but it will be on the 29th (Wednesday) of July (next week!). Good luck and welcome!
07-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Road Tour!

I had no idea there was going to be a meet next week, thanks for the heads up! I'm new to the Twin Cities so I can't think of any suggestions for John on the other thread. But I do know the convention center is only a block away

_Jim
07-23-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well then, welcome to the State! Where did you migrate from? I too am an implant that landed here via a job but I've been here for about seven years now and apparently have yet to experience a "real" Minnesota winter

07-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoJim Quote
Hello, I'm having a serious problem with my K10D. It seems that I get a "Memory Card Error" when the camera is on, but only if the battery grip is connected! Pentax informs me that I will need to send in the camera and grip for diagnosis, but I want to do some investigating myself beforehand.

Is there anyone in Minneapolis who has a D-BG2 battery grip who is willing to meet me? I wish to connect your grip to my camera so test if the K10D is causing the problem or if it is my grip. I'm sure I can replace the grip for less than the cost of sending it to Pentax.

As a token of my appreciation I can supply coffee/beer/fixer to the first gentleman or lady who can assist me.

_Jim
Take a very close look at the pins on the grip...I have read of these getting out of alignment and being pushed back into the grip. If so you might be able to fix it yourself and save some beer.
07-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
Bad News - And Good News

Thanks for the help. But yesterday after going out to shoot some local architecture, the "Memory Card Error" came up again, sans grip.

I'm afraid it is just an intermittent problem in the camera body. It happens at strange times, and with all my different memory cards.

So, because I can not function without a working camera, I next-day ordered a new K7, it should be here tomorrow. Perhaps in the future I will send my K10D to Pentax to be fixed, because it has done me well throughout my years. Then I'll convert it to IR, always wanted to do that.

I am originally from Rochester, NY. We get pretty good snow and ice out there, but everyone still tells me it's far worse in Minnesota. We'll have to see. The K7 works down to 14˚F right?

_Jim
07-24-2009, 11:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoJim Quote
The K7 works down to 14˚F right?

_Jim
That's what it claims, but I bet it would work much below that.
07-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the lowest we had last winter was somewhere around -25F... not including wind chill.

07-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a BG-2 grip for my K10. Will you be there Wed at the Hilton?