Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Straight conversion?

I possess a Pentax SLR (film) camera with several interchangeable lenses and filters. If I buy a digital SLR from Pentax, are the lenses useable? Must I start over and replace all these items, or what? Appreciate any help.

07-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Absolutely you can use them. I have a K20D and frequently use a 50mm 2.0 manual lens. That's the beauty of the Pentax, backward compatibility!! Remember though an auto camera cannot make a manual lens automatic!!
07-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just to reiterate, yes, absolutely you can use your lenses on a Pentax dslr.

Just so you're not bummed out though - if you have manual lenses that have an "A" setting you'll be good as gold. They'll work just like they do now, only you'll have leave it on the A setting and control the aperture with the dials instead of turning the aperture ring.

If you have older manual lenses with no "A" setting, you'll have to enable aperture ring use in a menu, (just one time only) and do a stopped-down meter and go all manual. (someone correct me if it's different with K20D, K2000, etc) - I'm only speaking of the K110,K100, K200D.

Also, while there's quite some argument over "field of view" vs. "35mm equivalent" - it boils down to the sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame, so you get a cropped view from your lenses... thus a 28-105 isn't the all-purpose wide-to-tele zoom on a Pentax DSLR that it was on a 35mm camera. Essentially your tele lenses get a boost, which is generally a good thing, but your wide angles won't feel so wide. (which is why they package the things with the 18-55 kit lens and so on - that's more like a 28-80 type lens on 35mm)