Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: melb, au
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
First Thoughts K7

got my hands on a k7 today - finally, and the sad thing is i work at camera house, anyhow....
well it surprised me a little, it is little but fits just right somehow. the buttons dials knobs etc are all as they should be with but a few quirks-they all have them even the D3(bloody thing). the feel and look is great-need a vert' grip though. flash pop up is nice and the height is welcomed. all the buttons and knobs have a good feel although the focus select dial didn't snap and required me to visually check and then adjust to the 'locked' position. rubber covers work well but i worry on them lasting. the sync cap is a friggen bastard to get off and sure to hit the shag black carpet never to be seen again, and even worse if you dont loose it try puttin it back on -have fun with that!
this concludes our tour as i only got a few minutes to check it out but i 'll go deeper over the next few days and put it through its paces.

07-24-2009, 05:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member
kent's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lithuania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 344
Thanks, I'll be waiting for further impressions
07-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: melb, au
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
Original Poster
ok took some pics at different iso's mmm tis quiet to use, and as far as noise goes i'd use this at 800 no probs 1600 with some artistic license but 32's a bit of a stretch, having said that i'm over the noise war - i mean come on ppl stop seeing it as a flaw and use it for flavor same as it was for film - yeh sure its a little ugly but it can be camouflaged using grain textures and so on.
any how even with out a grip this thing is easy to hold and although i've become accustomed to the k10 layout the controls were in the right spot for the best part i'll get used to the rest later. it's easy to shoot and the quality is fine for impressive enlargements 20x24+. colour's nice as is the tonal range-dng is what it should be but misses the lens correction in lightroom-better left off anyhow takes too long to draw (just to push stupidity pantax's way, the lenses in which the lens correction was designed for, perhaps are the group of lenses that need this the least, better to use for filum ones me thinks but virtually impossible to achieve. the auto focus has more conviction even in-doors more torque on both sdm and gear drive af tracking on hi fps slowed it down a bit but at least the bloody thing gave it a good go at keepin the frame rate hi and af tracking halfway accurate.
as a bonus we get video, oooh aaah big deal. its a little short as a video cam replacement -ok i admit my first clip was a disaster-it was in shop and it strobed a little and the ca's showed nicely albeit a 10-17 on the front. i'll give video a closer look soon, and i'll post some pics soon
07-27-2009, 03:54 AM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: melb, au
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
Original Poster
k7 50-135 and apart from some photoshop this has had no pp, hehe.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-27-2009, 04:15 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,681
Well, you've done well with this little car portrait.
But funny how you say 'apart from PS, no PP applied'
07-27-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Forum Member
flash1100's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Perth West Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 97
QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
got my hands on a k7 today - finally, and the sad thing is i work at camera house, anyhow....
well it surprised me a little, it is little but fits just right somehow. the buttons dials knobs etc are all as they should be with but a few quirks-they all have them even the D3(bloody thing). the feel and look is great-need a vert' grip though. flash pop up is nice and the height is welcomed. all the buttons and knobs have a good feel although the focus select dial didn't snap and required me to visually check and then adjust to the 'locked' position. rubber covers work well but i worry on them lasting. the sync cap is a friggen bastard to get off and sure to hit the shag black carpet never to be seen again, and even worse if you dont loose it try puttin it back on -have fun with that!
this concludes our tour as i only got a few minutes to check it out but i 'll go deeper over the next few days and put it through its paces.
Thanks for the initial impressions. Given you work in a camera shop and may have had the opportunity to try a few DSLR, I think Pentax are aiming at the higher end of amateur users, how does it stack up against the D300 for example?

I have to be honest I am trying to decide if I go D300 and sell all my Pentax gear, or go K7. I shoot motorcycle racing in a sort of semi pro capacity and feel limited by K10 AF and speed.

Currently use Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM on the K10D.
07-27-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member
GLXLR's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by flash1100 Quote
Thanks for the initial impressions. Given you work in a camera shop and may have had the opportunity to try a few DSLR, I think Pentax are aiming at the higher end of amateur users, how does it stack up against the D300 for example?

I have to be honest I am trying to decide if I go D300 and sell all my Pentax gear, or go K7. I shoot motorcycle racing in a sort of semi pro capacity and feel limited by K10 AF and speed.

Currently use Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM on the K10D.
If you shoot motorcycle racing, I think you first need a faster focusing lens, such as the similar Sigma 100-300mm HSM.

Also, b/c you shoot motorcycle racing, you don't really need 51 AF points, which is only useful for tracking unpredictable subjects (unless your motorcycles can fly then you might need it ). Apparently from some German magazine (quoted from falconeye), the K-7 is on par in AF speed with the D300.
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: melb, au
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
Original Poster
yo ash i'm taking the pi55.
and as for a direct compare to the d300 i'll check it out but i think the k7 would do well for motor sport. i too have k10 and it sux for hi-speed af, the k7 is much better.

07-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
Forum Member
flash1100's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Perth West Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 97
QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
yo ash i'm taking the pi55.
and as for a direct compare to the d300 i'll check it out but i think the k7 would do well for motor sport. i too have k10 and it sux for hi-speed af, the k7 is much better.
Thanks for that. About to pull the trigger on a K7 just keen to know the AF will be up to the task.
07-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: melb, au
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 100
Original Poster
Well i'm disappointed with my second run on the k7 with 50-135. every shot is soft and noisy albeit shot at 800. here's some pics. will check settings and so on tomorrow, raw file type cause file is smaller mostly than from a k10, also ca's rear they're ugly head shot from the k10 are better- sum ting wong me thinks maybe me?
pics to come i'm too depressed
07-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,660
QuoteOriginally posted by forestG Quote
k7 50-135 and apart from some photoshop this has had no pp, hehe.
That's a very soft image. Was it by design? Or is it just motion blur?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
buttons, camera, check, dslr, k7, knobs, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Thoughts audio.mann Post Your Photos! 1 06-28-2010 08:09 AM
Thoughts on the NEW K-X MattBrennan Pentax DSLR Discussion 249 09-21-2009 11:00 AM
Having second thoughts on K-7. barondla Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 07-27-2009 09:35 PM
First thoughts... jct us101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 02-10-2009 06:59 PM
thoughts of beyond. distorted_vision Post Your Photos! 16 05-29-2008 03:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top