Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unbiased K-7 report with images

I've played with K-7 in the shop for about 15-20minutes, here's my report:

on the shelf it looks too small for a company's flagship body, you can barely distinguish it from the k-m, however when you get hold of it, everything changes.

the size and weight is perfect for me.

build quality is superb, however some levers like afs;afc;mf and center AF, selectable AF and auto, do not feel very convenient to switch and it's not clear in which position they are..

AF speed was a thing that dissappointed me a little, maybe because the day before I've handheld C4non 50d, maybe i was expecting too much, but, I was dissappointed by the speed of the AF. i went into dimly lit place where the correct handheld exposure required 1600ISO, 1/20s f/4 and tried to focus on some subject..
the camera's AF went one coarse step and then followed 3-4 small steps.. similarly like in k20d.. so i repeated the action for 3-4 times and it was similar.. with 1 or 2 coarse steps, then 3-4 fine steps.. then I loudly said, that i was expecting more in AF department. the additional lamp did not helped in that situation to focus..
well maybe it's subjective, and maybe in practice the AF would prove to be much better than k20d's but during my inspection I was expecting more.

the shutter sound was also surprising, however this time pleasantly.. it's really much softer and quieter than k20d.

also I liked that flash is raised higher.
liveview seemed really more refined and CDAF was not that hopeless as i expected. of course you couldn't rely on it in dynamic photography, yet on static photography it's ok.

also when i covered the lens so that the light won't enter, and tried to focus I've witnessed the additional AF green lamp in action.

one thing I did not like in camera's ergonomics is ISO button. I really had to crack my index finger to reach it.. i would suggest to leave it the way it's on k-m..

I liked that changing AF points is visible on rear LCD you can instantly know which point is chosen, while i struggle on my k20d, especially in bright light to know where i've left the focus point..

also i've heard about SD card problem so I inspected it also.. and found out, that to insert a card there are no difficulties, however to pull it out.. it feels like the card is surrounded by the camera very tight and it's a little challenging to remove it.. however I do not see it as a major problem.

what about image quality I was quite surprised that it was at least on par with K20d, the noise was visible but it's more pleasant to the eye than k20d.. ISO 1600 is clearly usable. however I do not know which NR settings were on the camera when I used it.

I also put my 50-135 lens to check the focus with it, and without scientific arguments, i would say it's more confident, than on k20d. i mean it's a little better.

so the main points that I liked: (they did impress me pleasantly)
size/weight;
liveview;
shutter sound;
lcd screen;
height of the flash and the shadows that it cast on the subject; see the last image.
metering;
colors;
manual focusing;

things that i'm neutral to: (they did not impress me)
AF speed;
CDAF;
ergonomics;
viewfinder;
IQ;

things that I did not like: (they left a bad impression on me)
ISO button placement;
AF levers (switches);
SD card removal;

things I did not inspect:
video;
main menu;
and much much more..

of course i did not inspected most part of the camera, I mainly tried to adress it's weaknesses, that I've read before seeing it, but my final verdict is:

I will buy it after some firmware update and first price drop.

in general i'm very positive about it.
but right away there is a lot of space for improvement.
pictures taken with kit lens.

i'm attaching a pic straight out of camera, only resize ISO 1600 kit lens, 1/20 F/4

1600ISO 1/1000 F/4

100ISO 1/80 f/4

I shot on P and did not applied any positicve or negative compensation
well, so far that's what it is..

Last edited by Mystic; 07-24-2009 at 10:01 AM.
07-24-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool!

I can't believe that the last photo was the pop up flash without a diffuser! Thank you for the hands on review... and the picture of the girl in the last shot