Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

My thoughts on the K-7

Today I finally received my K-7! I just had to share it with you.

I started my photography with a Minolta Dynax 700si. When i went digital i bought a Nikon D70. Then my company changed to Canon, so i bought a Canon 40D. So why did I sell it and buy into Pentax when the K-7 arrived?

It produces high quality RAW images, it fits my shooting style, it fulfills my needs in a camera.

Thats it. Ive tried many cameras, and they all make great pictures, but the K-7 was perfect for me. It was love at first test. Besides Pentax makes great lenses at an affordable price. Im so tired over the fighting between fanboys. Find the camera that fits your needs, and you should be happy. I often meet other photographers. And its easy to tell the difference between those who love to take photographs, and those who just love to have the latest and "best" equipment.

This is what i bought:
K-7 Body
Vertical grip
FA 77mm ltd
FA 31 mm ltd
DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
DA 21mm ltd
FA 100mm macro
Cable remote
AF-540 flash

The limiteds are a blast, and so is the 12-24 and *16-50. But I was disappointed in the 100mm macro and the flash. They perform great, but the build quality is bad, especially the flash compared to the other brands.

But finally i found a camera that works for me, and Im very happy for it. I hope to post some images soon, and Im proud to have become a Pentaxian!

07-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
congrats with your purchase!
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You made good choices on your lens selection too.
07-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Thats it. Ive tried many cameras, and they all make great pictures, but the K-7 was perfect for me. It was love at first test. Besides Pentax makes great lenses at an affordable price. Im so tired over the fighting between fanboys. Find the camera that fits your needs, and you should be happy. I often meet other photographers. And its easy to tell the difference between those who love to take photographs, and those who just love to have the latest and "best" equipment.
Wise words

you have made some fine choices and I am sure you will enjoy taking photos and the challenge ahead of improving ones photography with this new gear rather than being an equipment freak and or fanboy.

Enjoy those FA* limiteds.. a class of their own

cheers

.... footnote, what no DA*50-135

Neil

07-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
.... footnote, what no DA*50-135
Hehe. It was out of stock. As soon as its back, itll find its way to me!
07-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Banned

The K-7 is the most fun I ever had with a camera and I have had many cameras since my first SLR in 1966.
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
edl
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase, welcome to Pentax and Pentaxforums!

I must say though, that while you make a distinction "between those who love to take photographs, and those who just love to have the latest and "best" equipment," didn't you just buy the latest and best equipment?

I'm not accusing you of being in the latter group (even if you were I wouldn't care) but once you buy the 50-135 I don't think Pentax makes anything better and newer than what you've got. I can think of better (67II) but not better and newer.

Anyways, enjoy!
07-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikke Quote
Today I finally received my K-7! I just had to share it with you.

I started my photography with a Minolta Dynax 700si. When i went digital i bought a Nikon D70. Then my company changed to Canon, so i bought a Canon 40D. So why did I sell it and buy into Pentax when the K-7 arrived?

It produces high quality RAW images, it fits my shooting style, it fulfills my needs in a camera.

This is what i bought:
K-7 Body
Vertical grip
FA 77mm ltd
FA 31 mm ltd
DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
DA 21mm ltd
FA 100mm macro
Cable remote
AF-540 flash

The limiteds are a blast, and so is the 12-24 and *16-50. But I was disappointed in the 100mm macro and the flash. They perform great, but the build quality is bad, especially the flash compared to the other brands.

But finally i found a camera that works for me, and Im very happy for it. I hope to post some images soon, and Im proud to have become a Pentaxian!
Nice, I too am an FNG here...and sold off my 40D and other lenses and such to make 'the switch'. I also did it for what seem to be the same reasons as you, the K7 fits what I want in a camera body. I, however, was not as patient so I opted for a K20D to start with and can now wait a while and same some cash on the K7. I ended up with

K20D
DA* 50-135
FA 77ltd Silver
FA 43ltd Silver
DA 35mm macro Limited
Battery grip, though I actually have not been using it once I got used to the K20D body. We'll see when I want to spend a whole day shooting somewhere.

I did not buy a flash and I have to say, I was disappointed when I was able to see the flash in person. Pentax can do better for sure. Since I do mostly strobist off camera stuff in manual mode I do not need to use Pentax brand flashes. I think the only mistake I made was selling my Canon 430EX II flash thinking the Pentax equivalent would be fine...d'oh...nope. But I can always pick up another brand flash until maybe Pentax offers a new unit. In fact I might just end up with another 430EX II since they are not too expensive and I am already familiar with using it in manual.

Have fun with the new 'toys'...I agree that it is a smart decision and given you a lot more. If you are looking for a longer zoom, take a peek at the Sigma 100-300mm. I wish there was a head to head between it and the 60-250mm to see how they compare. I had access to the 100-300 for a while...killer lens and a nice price too. I like the WR of the 60-250 but loved the IQ of the 100-300 a lot. Plus the overlap with the 50-135 is more reasonable to be than the 60-250. Would love a 120-300 f2.8 but Sigma does not make that in a Pentax mount...which is evil in itself!!

Congrats on the nice new kit!!

07-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This is what i bought:
K-7 Body
Vertical grip
FA 77mm ltd
FA 31 mm ltd
DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
DA 21mm ltd
FA 100mm macro
Cable remote
AF-540 flash
That's quite a "starter" kit. I have the 77, 31 and 16-50, and I am very pleased with all of them. I think that were I starting from scratch, I would get a Metz flash, but since I rarely use flash, it's not a priority to me.

Best of luck with your new gear.

Rob
07-24-2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This is what i bought:
K-7 Body
Vertical grip
FA 77mm ltd
FA 31 mm ltd
DA 12-24
DA* 16-50
DA 21mm ltd
FA 100mm macro
Cable remote
AF-540 flash
My god... I envy you!!!
Hope you have fun with your Pentax like we all had~!
07-25-2009, 12:13 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
Congratulations on your purchase, welcome to Pentax and Pentaxforums!

I must say though, that while you make a distinction "between those who love to take photographs, and those who just love to have the latest and "best" equipment," didn't you just buy the latest and best equipment?

Thanks for the welcome!

Of course. I do want the best I can afford, but I dont go telling everyone else that what I have is best, and that you cant get good pictures if you have a different model or brand. Thats what i meant. I believe that all the brands can make good pictures. And I believe that whatever camera that makes you happy, buy it, and enjoy it for whatever reason! Enjoy taking photos, no matter what brand!

Last edited by Mikke; 07-25-2009 at 12:29 AM.
07-25-2009, 12:24 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Nice, I too am an FNG here...and sold off my 40D and other lenses and such to make 'the switch'. I also did it for what seem to be the same reasons as you, the K7 fits what I want in a camera body. I, however, was not as patient so I opted for a K20D to start with and can now wait a while and same some cash on the K7. I ended up with

K20D
DA* 50-135
FA 77ltd Silver
FA 43ltd Silver
DA 35mm macro Limited
Battery grip, though I actually have not been using it once I got used to the K20D body. We'll see when I want to spend a whole day shooting somewhere.

I did not buy a flash and I have to say, I was disappointed when I was able to see the flash in person. Pentax can do better for sure. Since I do mostly strobist off camera stuff in manual mode I do not need to use Pentax brand flashes. I think the only mistake I made was selling my Canon 430EX II flash thinking the Pentax equivalent would be fine...d'oh...nope. But I can always pick up another brand flash until maybe Pentax offers a new unit. In fact I might just end up with another 430EX II since they are not too expensive and I am already familiar with using it in manual.

Have fun with the new 'toys'...I agree that it is a smart decision and given you a lot more. If you are looking for a longer zoom, take a peek at the Sigma 100-300mm. I wish there was a head to head between it and the 60-250mm to see how they compare. I had access to the 100-300 for a while...killer lens and a nice price too. I like the WR of the 60-250 but loved the IQ of the 100-300 a lot. Plus the overlap with the 50-135 is more reasonable to be than the 60-250. Would love a 120-300 f2.8 but Sigma does not make that in a Pentax mount...which is evil in itself!!

Congrats on the nice new kit!!

Thanks!

I agree with you. The flash, compared to Canons top model was a disappointment. It gives good results tho. But it feels kinda fragile and cheap. Ill probably buy some other brand next time, unless Pentax who, as you said can do better, comes out with a better model. 100-300 looks interesting. But no Pentax mount? Thats horrible! Guess Ill have to stick to Pentax lenses then, which is great!
07-25-2009, 02:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks!

I agree with you. The flash, compared to Canons top model was a disappointment. It gives good results tho. But it feels kinda fragile and cheap. Ill probably buy some other brand next time, unless Pentax who, as you said can do better, comes out with a better model. 100-300 looks interesting. But no Pentax mount? Thats horrible! Guess Ill have to stick to Pentax lenses then, which is great!
I think I might have garbed my babbling but the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 is the Simga model not made in a Pentax mount. The Sigma 100-300 f/4 is made in a Pentax mount and has HSM and also is an EX build which in the US means a 4yr warranty...so far anyway.

Still on my flash hunt...just need cheap with manual power settings, and at least tilt, swivel a bonus...short term need. Good luck on your flash quest!!