Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 05:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
reason for me being so critical on the ISO thing is that I have a camera system doing better there, as to ISO 800 it is not the noise itself that is the issue, but the lack of dynamic range at that ISO.
I don't think you'll see that kind of performance w/ APS-C's smaller photosites. The D3's larger photosites will always give you more dynamic range (you could argue Sony's A900 is as good w/ smaller sites but I still don't think it's as good :-)

p.s., if you fired off a bunch of shots while the rock was coming at you, it would have been a good test of AF-C performance of the K7 ;-)

07-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Thanks very much for review, quite appreciated as I'm asking myself whether to buy the K-7 after making a hole in my K-20

If I may ask, one comment surprised me:
> The easy way out for me would have been to pick up a D300 that can share lenses with the D3, the fact that I have not is probably the finest compliment I can give the K-7.

As I'm new to photography and work a lot with a friend who's got a D300, what are the reasons why you didn't pick the D300 then?
07-25-2009, 01:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
Great hearing your take on the K7, thanks.
And good that it could offer you protection too

As I would like Pentax to built as advanced a DSLR as possible, I do appreciate your comparison to the D3.

Funny, I have really liked the K10 the way it is. And only recently got the grip.
I just tried the K7 once, but didn't feel perfect to begin with. Maybe I've just gotten used to the K10. But I really like the idea of a compact and sealed DSLR
07-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kaunas
Posts: 1,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nice review - taking the K-7 to where it can really be tested - in sub-zero temperatures!
and your above photos are some of the best I've seen The K-7 and lts lenses make *fine* subjects!
Well, icebergs in the sea doesn't mean subzero temperatures I bet that it was well above zero in such nice summer sunshine.

And review itself is excellent. Not pixel peeping, but camera usage report. This is the way how reviews should be done.


Last edited by Edvinas; 07-25-2009 at 11:39 PM.
07-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,309
Thanks for the wonderfully balanced and objective expose. I to rarely shoot over 200 iso and find the base iso to be incredibly fine and on par with the best of the big boys.

Last edited by benjikan; 07-27-2009 at 06:54 AM.
07-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #21
Forum Member
alessandro63's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 57
Shake Reduction dealy

QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
Shake Reduction:
Well, this is really a mixed bag and perhaps the one place where Pentax has a bug to fix, the SR simply is too slow to kick in, that we now notice is something that speaks as a compliment to the improvement to the AF system, but that really is no excuse.
The solution so far, is to disengage the AF from the shutter and use the AF button for that instead. That allows me to warm up or keep the SR spooled and have it ready when I hit the AF button and press the shutter all the way.
Hello,
thanks again for the review "on the field". I think the K-7 is a great "little" camera, I see no equivalent offers of that quality in such a compact package. And I'll buy it.
Nonetheless I'm here to ask if anyone wants to elaborate on the quoted text.
I use that workaround too, but I am also insistently asking around if there could be any better solution for coping with the delay of the SR. I mean, to kindly ask Pentax for...
Not a show stopper at all, and you need an instant SR in a very small percentage of occasions. But they happen.
I am not obsessive about that (hope so!), and will accept a "no you can't have", but not before having digged seriously...

Alessandro
07-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by Duplo Quote
The Build:
Finally A Pentax body that is build and feels like a pro body, now you may argue that so is the K10/20D, but while sturdy bodies, the K-7 takes the construction quality to a for pentax new level. While it does not entirely match the solid feel of the D3, then I do think that has more to do with weight than actual build. The K-7 feels extremely solid. I would not hesitate bringing it anywhere and that says a lot.

And I have tested it. I shot a heli take off from the moraine next to the huge Icefiord glacier. The helicopter sent a piece of rock flying, that rock took the DA21 right through the lens hood, and literally shattered the protective filter and knocked me off my feet.

The DA21, K-7 and a fairly black and blue me, came out just fine. I am just glad that I had a camera in front of my face when that rock struck me It sure is a very tough little camera and no do not ask why I chose to shoot a heli take off with a wide angle lens


{...snip...}
A shame really, you are deserving of a Darwin Award nomination for doing something that silly...hehehehe...glad it was there for ya though...but your shot at becomming a part of history was completely thwarted by the camera...

Nice review and observations!! Did you get a chance to try and induce "green line syndrome" using video for an extended period? It would be interesting to read you can under normal/warmer conditions but not when it's in the sort of temps you were working under.
07-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,599
Thanks Thomas for an excellent report. Your well considered points do you credit.

NaCl(now I want a K-7 more than ever)H2O

07-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,937
QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
I use that workaround too, but I am also insistently asking around if there could be any better solution for coping with the delay of the SR. I mean, to kindly ask Pentax for...
IIRC Arpe once asked JCPentax about this problem. For some applications it would be nice if you could keep SR activated all the time.
Perhaps there is some other trick, e.g., using Live View? I don't have a K-7 to try...
07-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Wow. That must have hurt.
But the important question is: did you get a picture of the rock? That must have been a sight :-)
Great review. Looking forward to the photos...remember to use a good NR program on the ISO800 images before passing judgement. I find it does well and retains a lot of detail...
ya know...what a chance to really test AF-C mode!! a shame, just a darn shame....hehehehe
07-26-2009, 05:39 PM   #26
Pentaxian
Arpe's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,331
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
IIRC Arpe once asked JCPentax about this problem. For some applications it would be nice if you could keep SR activated all the time.
Perhaps there is some other trick, e.g., using Live View? I don't have a K-7 to try...
Indeed I did. I'd like the chance to turn it on permanently. But I do as suggested above - turn AF off on the shutter button, and use the AF button, trying to keep the shutter button half way so SR is always on, and accidentally pressing it too far sometimes!
07-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #27
Forum Member
alessandro63's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Italy
Posts: 57
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Indeed I did. I'd like the chance to turn it on permanently. But I do as suggested above - turn AF off on the shutter button, and use the AF button, trying to keep the shutter button half way so SR is always on, and accidentally pressing it too far sometimes!
Yep, that's what happens to me too. In "agitated" moments, when you know you'll have to shoot instantly, it's not easy to keep the forefinger fixed half pressing...
In fact, one of the proposals resulted in my research asks to swap functions between shutter and AF button. AF button to initialize SR, shutter to focus as usual.
This would make our "trick" easier.
If they can't make SR active in other ways, that's it.

Alessandro
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #28
Pentaxian
Duplo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 916
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I don't think you'll see that kind of performance w/ APS-C's smaller photosites. The D3's larger photosites will always give you more dynamic range (you could argue Sony's A900 is as good w/ smaller sites but I still don't think it's as good :-)

p.s., if you fired off a bunch of shots while the rock was coming at you, it would have been a good test of AF-C performance of the K7 ;-)
Nor did I expect it from the K-7 or judge it negatively because of it
I am a rather happy K-7 user in fact.

Should have thought of that... guess that rock took me a little by surprise ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by madbar Quote
Thanks very much for review, quite appreciated as I'm asking myself whether to buy the K-7 after making a hole in my K-20

If I may ask, one comment surprised me:
> The easy way out for me would have been to pick up a D300 that can share lenses with the D3, the fact that I have not is probably the finest compliment I can give the K-7.

As I'm new to photography and work a lot with a friend who's got a D300, what are the reasons why you didn't pick the D300 then?
Thanks for reading it and finding it useful.
Well only you can answer that, but still sad to hear that you have knocked your K20D.

I can try to elaborate a little on it, but truth is that you will likely see as many different and correct answers or choices when facing such a decision as you will se photographers facing it.

For me it came down to what I need/want from my APS-C system.
I need compact and I need rugged above all, but compact is really the key.

If compactis not important or if Speed/responsiveness rules the day or say DR performance are critical, then I will bring a D3 in stead or along side.

A D300 while working side by side with a D3 would be very convenient from a lens sharing point of view, it would be quite a sacrifice in terms of compactness compared to the K-7, that was a trade off I was unwilling to make.

Secondly there is the lens issue, Pentax are specialised in primes and the limiteds are outstanding regardless of brand, very high build and Image quality in a compact package. the Nikkor lineup while excellent does not really have anything to offer like that.

So it really came down to finding the perfect balance of pros and cons, the K-7 was the choice for me.

Do you evaluations very thoroughly against your needs and if possible test out the options thoroughly in a for you regular shooting scenario that is the only way to get the right answer for you.

Not sure if above is any help, but i hope so.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Great hearing your take on the K7, thanks.
And good that it could offer you protection too

As I would like Pentax to built as advanced a DSLR as possible, I do appreciate your comparison to the D3.

Funny, I have really liked the K10 the way it is. And only recently got the grip.
I just tried the K7 once, but didn't feel perfect to begin with. Maybe I've just gotten used to the K10. But I really like the idea of a compact and sealed DSLR
Thank you Sune.
Firsty DSLR to do that for me

Well I am not sure i want pentax to build a D3, I would not mind them building a larger format, but I would likely prefer it to be a 645D or a 35mm digital down the lines of the K-7.

Well, that just goes to show how different we all are, does it not.
Luckily the K-7 fits me like a glove from first touch.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Well, icebergs in the sea doesn't mean subzero temperatures I bet that it was well above zero in such nice summer sunshine.

And review itself is excellent. Not pixel peeping, but camera usage report. This is the way how reviews should be done.
Well nice and warm is many things, water temperature was around -1C in the icefiord, but air temperature in the range between 3 - 20C depending on time a day.
We do not reach sub zero temperatures, before mid august

Glad you liked the field report.

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Thanks for the wonderfully balanced and objective expose. I to rarely shoot over 200 iso and find the base iso to be incredibly fine and on par with the best of the big boys.
Thank you Ben, most appreciated.
I am glad you find it both balanced and positive,

Your outstanding work and achievements clearly underline your statement.
Base ISO is excellent.
07-27-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Duplo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 916
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alessandro63 Quote
Hello,
thanks again for the review "on the field". I think the K-7 is a great "little" camera, I see no equivalent offers of that quality in such a compact package. And I'll buy it.
Nonetheless I'm here to ask if anyone wants to elaborate on the quoted text.
I use that workaround too, but I am also insistently asking around if there could be any better solution for coping with the delay of the SR. I mean, to kindly ask Pentax for...
Not a show stopper at all, and you need an instant SR in a very small percentage of occasions. But they happen.
I am not obsessive about that (hope so!), and will accept a "no you can't have", but not before having digged seriously...

Alessandro
Again thanks for reading Alessandro.

I am not aware of any other workarounds available, but as others having suggested, having the option to program the Af button to be a SR activation/spool button would be another great option I think, I actually quite like the sound of it.

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
A shame really, you are deserving of a Darwin Award nomination for doing something that silly...hehehehe...glad it was there for ya though...but your shot at becomming a part of history was completely thwarted by the camera...

Nice review and observations!! Did you get a chance to try and induce "green line syndrome" using video for an extended period? It would be interesting to read you can under normal/warmer conditions but not when it's in the sort of temps you were working under.

Too true, it was actually not distance to the chopper (OK maybe I was a "little" close ), but more of a misjudgement of where it was taking off from, had it been a regular Airport i would not have had the same problems, or risk would have been minimal.

Glad you liked the field report.
I have not had time to play with either video or live view yet and to be fairly honest I do expect to use these features either, but have not notised any "green line syndrome" as of yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Thanks Thomas for an excellent report. Your well considered points do you credit.

NaCl(now I want a K-7 more than ever)H2O
Thank you NaCl(I hope you get your hands on one soon)H2O, appreciate your kind words on the field report and I am glad you found it a useful read.
07-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Helsinki
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,407
Thomas I really appreciate your review. seems so objective an fair to me. And I think it was a good thing to compare it to the D3! Comparisons do not have to be always among exact equals, this comparison gives much more, imo!

Did you try it with cloves on, btw? I have been a bit concerned the small size...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, body, camera, d3, dslr, iq, iso, issue, k-7, pentax, photography, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lens evaluation houstonmacgregor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 08-11-2010 03:08 PM
Can you guess what lens this DOF belongs too? JohnBee Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 5 07-27-2010 10:26 AM
Not sure where this thread belongs... Duch Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 02-01-2010 10:43 AM
New lenses - pickup evaluation tips JVM Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 11-26-2009 06:36 PM
TEST SHOTS for LENS EVALUATION gkopeliadis Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 10-16-2008 08:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top