Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you think your K10D has autofocus issues?
No, and I haven't bothered doing any kind of testing. 2731.03%
No, and I have tested for it in one form or another. 2933.33%
Yes, but I think that just from eyeballing my images. 1213.79%
Yes, and I have tried to do some sort of formal testing. 89.20%
Who cares? My camera takes great pictures as is. 1112.64%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2007, 01:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Yup. I just made miniscule adjustments until the resulting image was square - or as close to appearing as square as possible in the resulting image. If you look at them, they're pretty close.
Well, in the picture with the original firmware the right scale is much better then the left.

05-13-2007, 07:17 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Well, in the picture with the original firmware the right scale is much better then the left.
Well, that depends on whether you're talking about the top or bottom, as well as left or right, doesn't it? Take another look...

As I said in the title, it was unscientific. I aligned the target as best I could for the central axis of the lens, and adjusted the target for skew as best I could. And it probably isn't even exactly 45 degrees. But I didn't fiddle around for hours getting it just right, it is clear there is some skew in the photo.

However, choosing either side you want, there is no doubt the point of sharpest focus is most definitely NOT the "focus here" line, but somewhat behind it. And in the second photo after the firmware update, that has definitely improved.

The trials may have been somewhat inexact in how they were set up, but the gross changes in focus do show a significant improvement with autofocus with that lense.
05-13-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Well, that depends on whether you're talking about the top or bottom, as well as left or right, doesn't it? Take another look...
It doesn’t matter now, but I was referring to the “This text should be perfectly in focus” line on the left and right side of the scale. The right side is more in focus then the left.