Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Will: When I wrote "what Will finds safe" I meant the same thing as you did when you substituted the word "prudent". To me in the context above they are the identical. I have used my DS in fairly misty conditions with no ill effects and that camera is not sealed. I'd probably be a lot less "prudent" than you are with a K10D, and probably a lot more "prudent" than the guy with the faucet. That's all I was trying to convey. It also conveys the sense I got from talking to John C last fall. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot with a K10D on a "wet" boat as long as it was moderate to heavy spray, especially if I had one of the new sealed lenses.

NaCl(btw, lenses are easier to protect from water than a body is)H2O

05-09-2007, 07:25 AM   #17

Pentax says :

On Pentax Canada's web site they have this :

Pentax Canada - JIS Classifications for Pentax Products

that outlines the different levels of water protection they specify on their products. I don't have the time right now to find where the K10D fits on this list, but it probably specifies somewhere in the K10D manual what level the camera body is at, if empirical evidence (though anecdotal) isn't enough...

As for me, I'll not immerse it, and I'll dry it off as soon as I can when it's raining.
05-09-2007, 08:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All I know is that last month, walking from the far end of Venice back to the bus depot, it rained (light to moderate) and my K10D suffered no ill effects. I tried to 'shield' the camera best I could, but it still got pretty wet. My greatest concern was for the lens. At the time, I had the DA21/3.2 mounted. It survived fine also.

I'm not going to be 'stupid', and will take due precautions; but am also assured that I need not have to put the camera away when the weather turns 'ugly'.
05-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Classvino Quote
On Pentax Canada's web site they have this :
Pentax Canada - JIS Classifications for Pentax Products
that outlines the different levels of water protection they specify on their products. I don't have the time right now to find where the K10D fits on this list, but it probably specifies somewhere in the K10D manual what level the camera body is at, if empirical evidence (though anecdotal) isn't enough...
Please read my earlier post. It is not possible for DSLR to go for JIS testing because of the lens opening. That information is for the WR P&S cameras.

05-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
the test the guy did proves Pentax was serious about sealing the body because it survived...
That test proved nothing. Because he could not verify whether any water got into the body or not. The only way to "prove" it is to disassemble the body. Merely showing that the camera turned on and the SD compartment was dry was not good enough. Even if small amount of water got in, the camera may be doomed for premature failure due to corrosion or potential short circuit down the road.

And as I mentioned before, the running water from the faucet is WAY higher in terms of volume and speed than typical or even torrential rainfall that the camera was designed to withstand.
05-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, I didn't even think twice about bringing out my K10D on outing last weekend that was held in light rain.

But then, I've been known to use my other DSLRs (D and DS) in conditions that would send some people inside.

Weather sealing (whatever that means) and SR were two of the big reasons for getting the K10D.

Not to say I don't take precautions, but I don't let weather bother me that much.
05-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Even if small amount of water got in, the camera may be doomed for premature failure due to corrosion or potential short circuit down the road.
True, but he did fire it up immediately. I suspect a small amount of water did get in, especially w/ his taping of the lens opening, but not enough to short circuit it since he fired off pics immediately afterwards.

BTW, I was curious enough to look at the Canon 1D DPR forum. Someone mentioned he dropped his camera/lens into a forest *stream* and it survived. I'd expect the K10D w/ DA* lens to do as well; we just need a guinea pig to try it... :-)

05-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lots of anecdotes and personal opinion here. In my first post, I tried to respond to the poster's questions AND to offer responsible advice both to the poster and to anybody who's lurking and wondering the same thing.

I respect the right of folks here to do anything at all they want to do with their cameras. It appears that the weather-sealing of the K10D is pretty effective and the odds of your wrecking your camera are small.

But they not zero. As I said earlier, the camera is not marketed as weather PROOF or waterproof. And there's the problem of lenses and how well they're sealed. Pentax does not specify what you can and can't do. An interview with an exec at Pentax/Japan that includes the word "typhoon" does not constitute a warranty or a promise to replace your camera if you pick a type of typhoon that they didn't actually test for. So the bottom line is, if you decide to subject your camera to meteorological stresses like rain (light or heavy), dust storms, etc., you do so at your own risk. If unknown to you, a drop of water gets into your camera somehow and a month later your camera shorts out unexpectedly, well, I assume you'll be prepared to say, "Oh, well!" and buy yourself a new camera.

For what it's worth: I'm willing to take greater risks with my own equipment than I think it is responsible to recommend to others.

Will