Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K100D upgrade advice!

I have had my K100d for a year now and love it, but am ready to upgrade. I don't want to spend a fortune as my skill level does not justify it, but don't know which model - any advice would be very welcome indeed!

07-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It partly depends on why you want to upgrade and what features you need. The K20 would make an excellent upgrade and is really inexpensive as everyone sells the last of their stock. It would be my first suggestion if you don't need/want the extra fps or other features that the K-7 has (or don't like the K20's larger size and weight), and is an excellent buy.
07-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks - a lot of detail is lost in cropping, which I'd like to improve upon - I'll check out the 20!
07-26-2009, 06:23 AM   #4

When you mean you don't have a fortune, what kind of budget are you looking at?

If you can afford the K20D then buy that. The additional dedicated controls alone would make it worth it - I have never stopped kicking myself over buying a K100D rather than saving for a K10 when I bought my first DSLR. Didn't take long before I started really pining for the pentaprism viewfinder, the front clickwheel, the AF mode switch, the green button. More recently, I realised I cannot control off-camera flashes.

If you are happy with the K100's control layout then maybe a K-200 or K-2000 (K-m) might be a better choice, but I think the K10/K20 have more potential to help you grow as a photographer - the better control layout means using manual mode (which I heartily recommend) is much more pleasant, and some important options are better accessible, which means you are less likely to lose shots while digging through menus and more likely to actually use the more advanced options.

07-26-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I think you've sold it!! I can't find one for less than £500, which I can just about stretch to if I sell something else! (I won't get anything for the K100d - too dated, and too manhandled by me!)

Thanks for the advice
07-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
When you mean you don't have a fortune, what kind of budget are you looking at?

If you can afford the K20D then buy that. The additional dedicated controls alone would make it worth it - I have never stopped kicking myself over buying a K100D rather than saving for a K10 when I bought my first DSLR. Didn't take long before I started really pining for the pentaprism viewfinder, the front clickwheel, the AF mode switch, the green button. More recently, I realised I cannot control off-camera flashes.

If you are happy with the K100's control layout then maybe a K-200 or K-2000 (K-m) might be a better choice, but I think the K10/K20 have more potential to help you grow as a photographer - the better control layout means using manual mode (which I heartily recommend) is much more pleasant, and some important options are better accessible, which means you are less likely to lose shots while digging through menus and more likely to actually use the more advanced options.
i second this.

I started with a k100d and just upgraded to a k20d. Its like night and day as far as control.
07-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great!

I've just advertised in the Wanted section!

07-26-2009, 07:19 AM   #8

Oh, a while ago I saw the Samsung GX-20 (exactly the same as the K20D for all intents and purposes, but with a Samsung badge) plus the 2 lenses (18-55 plus 50-200) for something like £520 at Currys. They were clearing it out, and it's now sold out(this is in Leeds), but maybe try calling some local stores. You could then sell off the lenses (or keep the 50-200 zoom if you don't have it yet).

Also, check the classifieds section of pentaxuser.co.uk forums, a lot of people are switching to K7s, so there may be some deals to be had. E-bay is also an option.
07-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #9

My vote: K200D

I upgraded from my K100D to the K200D (while they are still around). Love my K100D - size, functions, top lcd etc. But I wanted a weather sealed body and the ability to fully use SDM lenses. The K7 is WAY out of my price range (nor does my skill range warrant it either)

K200D turned out, for me, to be far more of an upgrade than I anticipated. I just cropped the heck out of a shot and was stunned at how well it still looked.

If you love the K100, you won't be disappointed with the K200D either!
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rhonalou Quote
(I won't get anything for the K100d - too dated, and too manhandled by me!)
Actually the K100D is still worth a lot and would still chip off even a small chunk out of the K20D price..but my advice is to still keep the K100D as a back-up body.
Decide on selling it later on if ever you discover that you are not really using it anymore or you don't really need a second body.
At least selling it later, you would have no regrets rather than selling it before you get the K20D and finding out that you still actually need the K100D.
07-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #11

I was in the same situation as you, seeking an upgrade after having lovingly used my K100D for 2 years.

I ended up buying a secondhand K20D and grip. The additional controls present quite a learning curve, but ergonomically it's great. I have yet to take it on a serious shoot, and shall do so this coming weekend, but what I have experienced so far, I like. Perhaps the K20D is meant for a much more skilled photographer than I am, so I need to step up and get lots of practice!
07-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgraded from the K100 to the K20 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Great IQ, great camera...you will never look back!
07-27-2009, 12:51 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the best in your search for the K20D - if you at all find it beyond your budget, don't overlook the K10D - it's a very decent 10Mp camera with as much control as you'll need on the go, for an even more reasonable price.
07-27-2009, 02:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If I might add my two cents -

the K10 is an absolutely wonderful camera. It has replaced my Super Program as my favorite body, which is something I swore would never happen. On the other hand, the K10 and K20 are notorious for exposure errors with manual lenses, and due to the coating on the focus screens can be dificult to manually focus. Despite these two considerable issues, I wouldn't trade my K10 for any other brand of dslr. Well, maybe a GX-20.
08-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all of this advice, I will also now look at the K10 and K200D!