Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax AF360FGZ Flash - anyone use flashes?

Has anyone used the AF360FGZ Flash? Any good things or limitations? Anyone really like to use flashes for a certain purpose? I was thinking about doing some more portraits inside and outside.

05-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I've owned...

QuoteOriginally posted by Kemal Quote
Has anyone used the AF360FGZ Flash? Any good things or limitations? Anyone really like to use flashes for a certain purpose? I was thinking about doing some more portraits inside and outside.
Both the 360FGZ and now the 540FGZ.

The 360's limitations are a lower guide number (although for portraiture, you won't find it to be too bad), and the lack of a swivel head. This *will* be a a nuisance for portraiture. I always had a cheaper Vivitar swivel head flash for use when the 360FGZ couldn't be used as a ceiling or floor bouncer in portrait orientation.

Other than that, the 360FGZ is a pretty decent flash, and I found it to cover me most of the time in most situations.
05-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ever try the SIGMA EF500DG?
05-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #4

I LOVE my sigma ef500 Super DG... bloody fantastic with my K110D, easy to work with if you read the instructions thoroughly...

05-08-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have the 360, and its proved to be powerful enough for everything I've used it for so far... but the lack of a swivel head is a real pain when it comes to portraiture. Luckily, I don't do alot of portraiture and a simple tilt for bouncing is good enough for 99% of my needs.
05-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
Both the 360FGZ and now the 540FGZ.

The 360's limitations are a lower guide number (although for portraiture, you won't find it to be too bad), and the lack of a swivel head. This *will* be a a nuisance for portraiture. I always had a cheaper Vivitar swivel head flash for use when the 360FGZ couldn't be used as a ceiling or floor bouncer in portrait orientation.

Other than that, the 360FGZ is a pretty decent flash, and I found it to cover me most of the time in most situations.
I second your views.

I think the flash power of the 360 is adequate for small room and normal shooting distances. The only major shortcoming is simply the lack of a swivel head so bounce flash for vertical shots is impossible, except we bounce to the walls.

Anyway, the 360 is not expensive for an original brand flash. Actually, it's the best buy.

But for other non-original Pentax branded flash units used on Pentax DSLR bodies, please beware that our DSLR bodies might be damaged, especially over time for pro-longed use. For details, see:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Which Flash Units are Safe for Pentax DSLRs?
05-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the 360 until it had a brief (sudden) meeting with the garage floor during a photo shoot. Now I have the 540. The extra power and swivel head are fantastic and do make a big difference. I was able to do some great work with my 360. I do almost all my portrait work with the flash off camera so there is no need for swivel. It is a little weak for full body shots if you use diffussion, but fine for head shots.