Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
k-7: does resave with new image tone work for you?

In the K-7 manual on page 206, I see:

AE-L button Saves the background image. Select [Save as]
and press the 4 button. (Not available during
Live View.)

This doesn't actually seem to work, however. I was messing around with the B&W mode and left it there. When I picked up the camera and took a shot, I realized my mistake and then went to resave as Natural. Pushing the AE-L button appears to work, but the resulting image is still black and white. There are minor differences -- it appears the distortion correction isn't applied -- so it's doing something. Just not what it's supposed to do.

Does this work for anyone?

07-26-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I don't believe I've experienced this problem. I just tried shooting with a B&W preset, changing the colour tone to landscape and saving (AE-L) with no issues which is exactly what the manual reads. I'm not exactly sure what to suggest from this point. The only thing I could think of is if you're shooting in Green Mode in which case colour tone options become restricted? Sorry I can't be of much help.
07-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm not using green mode. I don't think that should actually matter anyways -- the resave should work no matter what. (Or if it wasn't available, the option shouldn't be there but silently fail.) I am using jpeg-only, of course -- the feature doesn't have much point if you're shooting raw.
07-26-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
In the K-7 manual on page 206, I see:

AE-L button Saves the background image. Select [Save as]
and press the 4 button. (Not available during
Live View.)

This doesn't actually seem to work, however. I was messing around with the B&W mode and left it there. When I picked up the camera and took a shot, I realized my mistake and then went to resave as Natural. Pushing the AE-L button appears to work, but the resulting image is still black and white. There are minor differences -- it appears the distortion correction isn't applied -- so it's doing something. Just not what it's supposed to do.

Does this work for anyone?
It worked the last time I tried, but only if editing immediately after taking the shot.
Did you switch off the camera (or left it on auto-power-off) or change anything else in between ?
I think the camera keeps an unprocessed image (RAW ?) of the latest shot in the buffer which can be used for AWB, Custom Image tweaking, but its cleared as soon as you power down or do anything else.

07-30-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Figured it out. The bug occurs if you have either the distortion or Lat. CA correction features enabled. If they're off, resave works. Will try with the new firmware soon and see if it's fixed.
07-31-2009, 08:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I couldn't reproduce the problem after updating to FW 1.01.
Pentax never admitted to this particular issue, but looks like its solved....
08-02-2009, 10:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I couldn't reproduce the problem after updating to FW 1.01.
Pentax never admitted to this particular issue, but looks like its solved....
Yeah, confirmed -- looks to be fixed in the update.