Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2009, 11:40 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Do you think that some code in the firmware will be written in BASIC? Seems overkill to include a BASIC interpreter just for files on the card, i.e., for service. Although, coming to think of it, there are CPUs with an on-chip BASIC interpreter. Which would make it all the more likely that some code (e.g., GUI stuff) might be written in BASIC.

How did you find the ones you've got?
No, firmware is written in C and compiled to FR assembler. :-)
BASIC script is just programmers quirk.
I believe that they had more commands on debug builds.

How I find them?

Download good HEX viewer (look at first post in this thread).
Point at 0x6AFA40, and you'll see commands table :-)

08-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Well, for all the happy and expectant (but otherwise rather useless) viewers here (I'm in this category myself!), maybe we could participate by donating money to tr13 for camera purchases???

I mean, I'd be glad to donate 10 or 20$ (or even 50$!) if this can lead to a cool firmware for my K20 solving the 2 or 3 annoying quirks (namely: crippled P mode, handling of non-A lenses, RAW histogram, RAW button customization, etc).

If we spread the word about, I'm sure that some serious money can be raised...
I am not against donations, as they help keep motivation :-)

Here is my view on donations:

1) Donations are donations, no promises of specific features. I'll have wishlist and priority list, but no guarantee.
2) We need to find someone trusted with full paypal account (as Russian ones don't have ability to recieve any funds :-)
3) Money will go to software licenses mostly, so onyone will know how they are spent.
3.1) If you want to help in little - buy either Hex Editor Neo Ultimate Home license ($30),
or Hiew homepage ($64) (we'll need both)
3.2) If you want to help big -
Hex-Rays IDA Pro Disassembler : Order Page
we need license for IDA Pro Standard
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hummm, no need for camera?
08-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #139
Veteran Member

I think there are ton of cameras out there he can just ask to test something.
And if most are unable to actually disassemble something, many are smart enough to test some prepared information/code/etc.

At this moment i could donate spare 10$. Maybe later i'll have more free money.

P.S. I believe tr13 needs to set up some sort of blog like post/blog, where only his newly provided usefull information is seen with separated comments from users.
Edit: Sorry, did not notice there already is one:
QuoteQuote:
I also added special blog page to my site -
Blog

Last edited by ytterbium; 08-07-2009 at 12:48 AM.
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hummm, no need for camera?
We don't need new and fully functional camera. It is waste of money.
But partly functional camera is quite suitable. Like one with faulty sensor (stripes, etc).
And, of course, we need to work low level first.
testing on actual camera is quite handy, yes. And in most cases it is quite hard to brick something (but I managed to brick quite costly thing playing with extremely low level firmware flash commands, few years ago :-))
08-07-2009, 12:18 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay...
Now, going back to the wish list... Where is it???
I got a whole bucket of them...
08-07-2009, 12:22 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay...
Now, going back to the wish list... Where is it???
I got a whole bucket of them...
:-)

I don't have it yet in ready to view form. It is just too early. And peoply frequently misunderstand wishlist with features of next version :-)
You could read my previos posts to understand my point of view and my priorities.

P.S. Do you know that Nikon D70 hack efforts ended with big wishlist and completely no result?

Owners of K-7 and K-m:

Try the [LENSROM_STORE] in MODSET.xxx file.

Last edited by tr13; 08-07-2009 at 02:31 AM.
08-07-2009, 03:51 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree that everyone should refrain from posting wishlists ...

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
We need to find someone trusted with full paypal account (as Russian ones don't have ability to recieve any funds :-)
We have to be careful not to cross a fine line here.
For instance, reverse engineering encrypted code is illegal in Germany w/o the requirement for license files to state so. Just like a knocked door doesn't need a post sign saying "breaking prohibited"

So, I suggest that you rename your site into

pentax-research.info

and add or highlight activities which are undoubtly legal everywhere in the world. Like the K10D memory layout table.

It may then be possible for EU-Europeans or US-Americans to collect donations for a better Pentax world

If you want to help big -
Hex-Rays IDA Pro Disassembler : Order Page
we need license for IDA Pro Standard
Do you have any requirements for the name in a named license version?

08-07-2009, 04:01 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
For instance, reverse engineering encrypted code is illegal in Germany w/o the requirement for license files to state so. Just like a knocked door doesn't need a post sign saying "breaking prohibited"
Are you really sure that reversing of something that had beed legally bough and didn't have any license agreement is illegal?
And I don't live according to Germany laws anyway :-)

QuoteQuote:
So, I suggest that you rename your site into
pentax-research.info
and add or highlight activities which are undoubtly legal everywhere in the world. Like the K10D memory layout table.
As soon as site is mine I don't have plans to do so.
Hack is not a bad word, if you need linguistic expertice, it is easy to get :-)
One of the reasons of current crysis is too much lawyers around :-)

QuoteQuote:
It may then be possible for EU-Europeans or US-Americans to collect donations for a better Pentax world
As soon as people really wish to help they'll help.
And as long as they'll be aftaid and wanting to hide this behind legal words, they won't.

QuoteQuote:
Do you have any requirements for the name in a named license version?
I think this is not an another wagon and horse dilemma.
It is just illegal to use IDA with another name license, as far as I remember it.

Last edited by tr13; 08-07-2009 at 04:07 AM.
08-07-2009, 04:05 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I'd extend this to lawyers, economists, insurance companies, banks, greedy marketing and real estate business that focus only on bare money generation without any intent of creating new actual values, manufacturing quality products and having a more practical and humane goals.

Well on the legal note, if you look at it from a more practical stand point.

Maybe the manufacturer dosn't want the firmware to be reverse engineered by some of its competitors, and in most cases i think thats why there is such licenses, but we are real owners of Pentax cameras. And as tr13 had previously told it would be an additional feature for the brand, that it has extended customization features, not some evil benefit to other manufacturers.

I can break my door if i need to make a window or a door knob in it. If my current door maker dosn't like it, it means he wants me to buy door from another maker who makes doors with holes for knobs. It's not the same as breaking in, taking all valuables and fleeing.

I think i shall write that bitmap search utility you told now. Cant think of anything else to do. Only it would be in Matlab, so i don't know how useful it would be to others. I believe i don't have a toolbox to generate exe file.

Last edited by ytterbium; 08-07-2009 at 04:19 AM.
08-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #146
Pentaxian

tr13, I am sorry that you got a wrong idea about what I was going to say.

Actually, I wanted to get you going and remove some of the obstacles.
Are you really sure that reversing of something that had beed legally bough and didn't have any license agreement is illegal?
And I don't live according to Germany laws anyway :-)
In Germany, yes. Unfortunately. They recently changed the law and now it is so Many people protested.
It won't be illegal for you, though
Hack is not a bad word, if you need linguistic expertice, it is easy to get :-)
I certainly agree.
As soon as people really wish to help they'll help.
And as long as they'll be aftaid and wanting to hide this behind legal words, they won't.
Not true.
E.g., I've no problems to donate or help you in other ways. But collecting money and sending to Russia is monitored activity (because of the many phishing sites). My comments were targeted to help you and solve a problem which does exist. I am your friend, not your enemy. If all were so easy, why cannot you simply set up a Paypal account
I think this is not an another wagon and horse dilemma.
It is just illegal to use IDA with another name license, as far as I remember it.
Haven't you just said "too many lawyers around"?
08-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #147
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
tr13, I am sorry that you got a wrong idea about what I was going to say.
Actually, I wanted to get you going and remove some of the obstacles.
No, I got it quite right. I just have nasty sense of humor :-)
I really think that it is wrong way to go. I could show you legal discussions about hacking with hundreds of posts without any meaningful results.
We just want to solve non-existing problems. As soon as Pentax authorities contact me we could solve it pretty fast, as I have experience.
And as for "monitored activity" this is bullshit, I have PayPal account for years, it just don't allow to recieve funds. Many programmers setup foreigh PayPal account and transfer money the other thay, like WU.
I hope we could stop our time wasting here.
08-07-2009, 05:08 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another possible testing thing:

Make SYSPARAM.TXT on root

Try FORCENR and DISABLENR commands. As I understand they are relaated to noise reduction.

Last edited by tr13; 08-07-2009 at 05:26 AM.
08-07-2009, 05:10 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
I think i shall write that bitmap search utility you told now. Cant think of anything else to do. Only it would be in Matlab, so i don't know how useful it would be to others. I believe i don't have a toolbox to generate exe file.
I'll better try either free Visual Studio Express or Turbo Delphi (or C++ Builder). Both are free and absolutely enough (all you need is one label, one edit control, keyboard events and one graphic control with canvas, no need for MatLab).
08-07-2009, 05:18 AM   #150
Pentaxian

I just have nasty sense of humor :-)

I hope we could stop our time wasting here.
I was thinking the same. That I made the discussion head into the wrong direction. Sorry about this I really only wanted to help you receive funds.

As soon as you or somebody else figures out how to receive donations, I'll be glad to donate