Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Hey guys this all sounds wonderful, I didn't understand a word of it.

What does it all mean for photographers.

07-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Great project!

Hope it goes a long way
07-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It'd be nice to latch into the camera without a firmware flash. If you haven't seen or heard of CHDK for Canon P&S cameras check it out here. They've taken some P&S cameras and add some great features for them. Some of them I am envious of (DOF calculator, live three color histogram with highlight/dark warning areas flashing again while live, raw in a pocket camera supporting DNG, bracketing by Tv or Av only, scripting, games, text reader, etc). The best part is that it didn't require a firmware flash - it's loaded off the SD card when it's turned on. I'm sure it's got to be possible.

Last edited by Das Boot; 07-27-2009 at 02:48 PM.
07-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
It'd be nice to latch into the camera without a firmware flash. If you haven't seen or heard of CHDK for Canon P&S cameras check it out here. They've taken some P&S cameras and add some great features for them. Some of them I am envious of. The best part is that it didn't require a firmware flash - it's loaded off the SD card when it's turned on. I'm sure it's possible.
I don't like their approach. As I know this project from their start. It took them amazing amount of time even to do something very simple. Another thing is that most of the features of CHDK are useless for most people.
Canon P&S things are very similar and you know that they failed to work in DSLR field. They are very smart and good guys, yes. But I prefer simple ways first.

07-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

tr13, have you had a look at how the Pentax Remote Assistant software for the K10/K20 works?

Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

It could provide some useful clues about interfacing with the camera and its firmware.
07-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have link (in Links page) to linux open source software that do similar thing.
It easear to understand.
But it is not related to firmware, it is just USB protocol with special commands.
DLL provided on my site is much more intersting (it is used in service adjustment software).
07-27-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Here's something that was started with the K10d a while back K10d Firmware Fun. I know it's not the K20d, but it is a head start with the hardware and a little memory mapping. It kind of fizzled out when the K20d rumors started.

07-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's something that was started with the K10d a while back K10d Firmware Fun. I know it's not the K20d, but it is a head start with the hardware and a little memory mapping. It kind of fizzled out when the K20d rumors started.

:-)
Memory map and many other information came from this pages (see my site, it have source information below some pages).
But they are not maintained anymore, last update in 2007.
MAP file is lost, and it is most valuable thing.
Rule 24 went from DPReview forum to some private forum that is not available anymore and this is pity as it could save us some time.
07-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If I remember right, the MAP file was just in it's infancy. All I remember ever seeing on it were the strings found in the code. Something that could be done with a hex editor. Other than that, no real code disassembly or commented blocks. I'm not sure if you could consider it a loss or not. I might have a copy sitting on a backup somewhere in my house (God help me find it though :-))
07-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I remember right, the MAP file was just in it's infancy. All I remember ever seeing on it were the strings found in the code. Something that could be done with a hex editor. Other than that, no real code disassembly or commented blocks. I'm not sure if you could consider it a loss or not. I might have a copy sitting on a backup somewhere in my house (God help me find it though :-))
It could useful anyway. Even few found routlines could be a good start.
Fortunately we have addresses of some from old thread at DPReview forum. See Quotes page on my site.

Good new is that Pentax Km firmware uses exactly same encryption as K20D/GX20, so it'll be decrypted as soon as we manage to break this encryption. And it is not too advanced. For example, for some blocks all differencies have fixed last three bits, and ALWAYS last bit is fixed for rach block (and changes from 0 to 1 for each consecutive pair). This and DLL is reason that I am pretty sure that soon we'll have decrypted firmware for all this DSLRs.
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I don't think Pentax was really looking for security when it concerns firmware. Honestly, it's probably for some sort-of checksum / error check.
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Do you know if anyone has bothered to pull out the functions of the DLL (I can't read Russian)? I just did and among the hundred or so functions there is a specific function called "CamReadCPUMemory". There's also "CamReadEEPROM" and "CamReadMemory". Truly it couldn't be that easy now could it?
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you know if anyone has bothered to pull out the functions of the DLL (I can't read Russian)? I just did and among the hundred or so functions there is a specific function called "CamReadCPUMemory". There's also "CamReadEEPROM" and "CamReadMemory". Truly it couldn't be that easy now could it?
Why do you need to read something in Russian?
Of course I am able to see exported functions and instantly look at disassembled versions. As you must understand this functions require parameters. And experimenting.
This DLL is placed on my site and I specially mentioned such functions on Encryption page.
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Awesome, I applaud your efforts. I used to do some embedded system firmware programming so perhaps I can try to help you out. Still haven't actually bought a Pentax yet though!
07-27-2009, 10:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Awesome, I applaud your efforts. I used to do some embedded system firmware programming so perhaps I can try to help you out. Still haven't actually bought a Pentax yet though!
Look at encryption part, please. It require to have some brains only :-)
I think it must not be very hard as some patter could be seen.