Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2009, 01:49 PM   #301
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
The same (2-byte) value repeated twice is used as block terminator together with the A5 5A 5A A5
Could this be a type of fuse byte/FW test? Just out of coincidence, years ago I used A5 & 5A written repeatedly to a section of EEPROM to test its life span. A5^5A = FF - ultimately it tested all the bits alternating the writing of the two. Your example of the K2000 could be seen as:

01E2^01E2 = 0000, A55A^5AA5 = FFFF

Last edited by Das Boot; 08-15-2009 at 01:58 PM.
08-15-2009, 06:43 PM   #302
Inactive Account

I did some playing around with the interpreter and the autorun.

The camera I used is a K20D with 1.0.3 firmware.

First of all, I cannot disable the interpreter with [SCRIPT_EN_MODE DIS].
It just keeps running.
As soon it reads an autorun file, it executes it.

Now, you said that the interpreter runs on its own thread.
I noticed something that makes me think otherwise. Most likely it runs before the camera starts its "proper" function.

As long as the card has an autorun file, the interpreter executes it. The thing is that after it is over, even with "EXIT" or "EXIT;" on its end, the camera seems to be in a kind of pre-function mode. The image counter displays 0 (like the moment you set it to "on" without a card, right before it displays the amount of photographs available) and the front and back wheel dials do not have any effect on lets say the apperture or exposure on M setting.

The thing that brings the camera to full function is pressing the shutter release button. This wakes up the counter and makes the dials function again, making me think that the interpreter works only before the camera starts its full operation. And the EXIT thingies, do not terminate this pre-function state properly. The camera seems to pause in some pre-function state.

I think this might be of value since it indicates that the interpreter might be part of a separate program funtioning like the bootloader, running before the OS is started, or even starting it itself. Or if it is part of the OS, then it halts its sequence that brings the camera's functions to life.

Last edited by dimkasta; 08-15-2009 at 06:48 PM.
08-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #303
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
[*]Hyperfocal AF mode

I'm sure others can come up with more stuff that could be done
What would[*]Hyperfocal AF mode be? I thought Hyperfocal was strictly a manual setting?
08-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #304
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
What would[*]Hyperfocal AF mode be? I thought Hyperfocal was strictly a manual setting?
Given that the camera knows the mm of the lens, the approximate distance (has this for flash comp), and the aperture being used - you could AF on the closest object and press a button and have the camera calculate and readjust the focal point for you... in a perfect world.

08-16-2009, 12:59 AM   #305
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zezo Quote
I still wonder what the best way to compare notes is. Email/forum/blog/wiki?
I'll set up forum on my site quite soon with developers section.
Also, you have access to my blog and I hope to see your progress report in your blog posts.
Private chat rooms are also useful.
I'll be posting chat room times to allow people who are working on reversing to participate.
08-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dimkasta Quote

Now, you said that the interpreter runs on its own thread.
I noticed something that makes me think otherwise. Most likely it runs before the camera starts its "proper" function.

As long as the card has an autorun file, the interpreter executes it. The thing is that after it is over, even with "EXIT" or "EXIT;" on its end, the camera seems to be in a kind of pre-function mode. The image counter displays 0 (like the moment you set it to "on" without a card, right before it displays the amount of photographs available) and the front and back wheel dials do not have any effect on lets say the apperture or exposure on M setting.
It definitely runs on separate task (REALOS term). AF functions in parralel.
You could run task similar to Windows thread by calling OS function with start address of your routine. OS also have other functions, most of them are accessible via int 0x40 and int 0x41. Now we have libraries and C headers of OS kernel, as well as quite good documentation, so, I hope that we'll be able to document this parts quite good.
And yes, calling to interpreter is done before some initialization and few other tasks are running.
08-16-2009, 01:19 AM   #307

QuoteOriginally posted by Das Boot Quote
Given that the camera knows the mm of the lens, the approximate distance (has this for flash comp), and the aperture being used - you could AF on the closest object and press a button and have the camera calculate and readjust the focal point for you... in a perfect world.
"Approximate" is the key word here. Don't know about the SDM lenses, but distance info returned from screw drive lenses is too inaccurate for use in open loop AF control, and that's the main reason for lack of real tracking servo AF and hyperfocal/DOF modes in Pentax cameras.
08-16-2009, 04:01 AM   #308
Veteran Member

Original Poster
zezo

Could you document some info from SYSPARAM.TXT commads dumps?
As far as I remember you spent some time on this.

all

Anyone compared raw files with noise reduction turned off/on (using SYSPARAM.TXT command,see my early post about it)?

08-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #309
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by zezo Quote
"Approximate" is the key word here. Don't know about the SDM lenses, but distance info returned from screw drive lenses is too inaccurate for use in open loop AF control, and that's the main reason for lack of real tracking servo AF and hyperfocal/DOF modes in Pentax cameras.
I agree with that. That is one of the main restrictions for using our SLR lenses on rangefinder cameras as well. The actual distance reading is too approximate and different on each lens. AF is based on the readings of the contrast sensor and not on actual screwdriver position or rotations.

A more solid approach for using hyper-focal philosophy, would be to define 2 focus spots (instead of 1 like in single select mode "SEL") and let the camera adjust the focus so that both these spots are in acceptable focus. That way, we could select the AF metering spots that represent the closest and the furthest spots that we want in focus, and let the camera find the focus that would make this happen according to our apperture. But again, some kind of DOF preview would be required to allow this to function properly, so AF would have to work with the mirror up, which i really doubt is possible on K10 and K20.
Maybe with a sequence of mirror ups and downs, but it could seriously affect the final speed of this AF mode and possibly the life of the shutter/mirror mechanism.
08-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #310
Inactive Account

Hi all,

I'm quite interested in your hacking works

I have several questions:
- Did you try/manage to run the PDCAdj01 software (i encounter a "Runtime error 429" either using XP or Vista, running it without having connected my camera)? Do i need extra dll or other to run it?
- Could managing to run this soft help to understand/progress towards firmware hack? And what about reversing it?

Regards
08-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #311
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I added link to first public release of FR processor module to

Blog

P.S. Don't see much progress lately. I don't see any zezo work on FR module. Nor I see any posted results.
08-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #312
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found bug in current processor module.

Instructions after
bra smth or bra D ....
are skipped

Bug is fixed now.

Local variables are quite bad in their current state.
I don't see any zezo sign anymore.
So, we need processor module developer with good knowledge of C++ and ability to read documentation :-) .

Next bug to fix:

Always byte data XREFS even if ldi:32 is used.

Last edited by tr13; 08-18-2009 at 02:27 AM.
08-18-2009, 03:01 AM   #313

Sorry, I'm somehow busy with other things right now and can't get into full-blown reversing mode.

One of the problems with the variables (both local and global) is that the opcode/operand type (ld/lduh/ldub) does not set the data size.

The current frame pattern is not handled properly:

st rp, @-r15
enter #0xC
stm1 (r8, r9, r10, r11)
addsp #0xF8

There is no logic in the module to handle the addsp. The compiler used for the K100D did not use addsp to adjust stack frames on enter like this.

But there are other problems too. And arguments passed via the stack are not handled at all.
08-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #314
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, and data references almost don't work :-(
Interrupts references will be also helpful.
I don't mention some non-working instructions here.
08-19-2009, 03:09 AM   #315
Inactive Account

Noticing the lack of answer to my questions about the PDCAdj01 software, i add some precisions to my questions.

This software is delivered with the "GX10 Service Software" pack.
It allows several tunings of the camera, among others AF adjustment... The use of this software is described in the GX10 Service Manual (see chapter III.2, "Adjustments by menus").

So, i ask again if it would be useful to learn more about this soft in order to progress towards firmware understanding.