Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #331

Photos: Gallery
Open debug menu for Pentax K-m:

Open New Notepad file. Place inside [OPEN_DEBUG_MENU] then FILE --> Save as --> change "Save as type:" to All files --> then fill in "File name:" MODSET.464 --> Save and Close the file.

Copy that file on the root directory of your SD card. Turn off the K-m. Insert the SD card into the camera. Then Press "Delete Key" while turn on the camera.

The debug menu should display on the screen of camera. Enable debug menu and then pres MENU buton.

The new Debug Mode "Set-up" menu tab can be found in between the normal Set-up menus (#1 to 3) and the Custom menus (#1 to 4)

BE carefull -- > Enter "AF TEST" .. ..
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-m Debug Mode Unleashed! (For AF Correction)

Last edited by south; 09-13-2009 at 08:03 AM.
09-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #332
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys, I got some notice from Samsung Service department.
They want to remove their service manuals.
If anyone want me to have them, just upload them on free sites.
I'll provide link on my site.
Thanks!
09-20-2009, 11:32 AM   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Guys, I got some notice from Samsung Service department.
They want to remove their service manuals.
If anyone want me to have them, just upload them on free sites.
I'll provide link on my site.
Thanks!
Not surprising. Last night I noticed the GX10 service manual had no written copy right restrictions but the GX20 manual on the bottom of every singe page it says "This Document can not be used without Samsung's authorization". And even stronger wording on the last page.

Seems they know well of the leaked out GX10 manual and its probably why it was almost impossible for anyone to find it . They printed a manual that was distributed almost surly from a Samsung employee onto the internet with no written restrictions, that quickly changed with the GX20 manual. Not sure about the other stuff from Samsung as I don't own a Samsung now and I had no interest being a high level (java, javescript, perl, ASP...) Web programmer.

Superb work, dedication and leadership tr13, ZEZO a great asset came in , and all others... very nice and impresive from the outside looking in; and Falconeye's great generosity of his time and money!

I suggest in the next fund raiser to not divide the amount needed into set amounts but rather do as this site does and allow small donations of $5.00 USA or more, the amount of people who can afford to donate goes up and the small and large gifts add up, show the percentage achieved toward your goal. When people donate to the needy the feel good in their hearts, when you falconeye donated you got recognition. Offer some kind of recognition for the persons gift (as this site does), if the person wants. I believe that's why the last fund raiser was not so good. Giving someone else a somewhat large gift for something they will never personal use or benefit from, and not other factor to make them feel good why do it? Its human nature, we do most things to make ourselves feel good (philosophy some may agree, some not).

Also tr13 if you get burned out and frustrated from lack of help or progress, take a few days off, think, let your mind reset itself .

Some suggestions only for your thought and to try to help. Make the project appealing to every K20D/GX20 owner, many have no interest in improving MF or exposure control. I wonder if you could put Gordon B tint program in it? I don't thinks so because how could it run(?) but... How about a custom firmware program; a windows UI that shows all available functions and allows through the cameras .DLL the user to try different functions but be safe for them. All K20D owners don't have the same needs, some don't care about improved MF, some may want to disable NR (in raw) and would love to be able to do so just to see if they can find anything. The problem is most non-programmers don't even know why you should use notepad and not MS Word to make a file, so a program that either uses the .DLL or writes to the card for them and clear instructions on how to use it, with a list of functions like disable NR, stop SDM... kinda get the idea. If the GX20 and K20 are the same exact dSLRs why can't a K20D be made into a GX20. I would love to be able to switch between them. I personally would prefer the GX20 code in my K20D, I don't care about 21 fps I would rather have the other stuff the GX20 can do. Also then my full ver of SilkyPix 3 from Samsung (for my old GX10) would run again.

Just trying to help a project that has a lot of talented people working on, and I feel as you say keep going as a team, "COMMUNICATE" if you can't work on it much for some time just tell tr13, because all of you are doing this in your spare time, its understandable. But when tr13 sees people just disappear it puts pressure on him, just let him know.

Just trying to help, don't no if any of this will?
09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #334
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In fact, I very slowly working on this alone.
Currently I look more at LG LH series televisions firmware, so if anyone here is MIPS disassembling fan, you are welcome :-)

10-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #335
Veteran Member

Any progress yet or any further info on Video mode on the K7 and whether or not manual ISO & shutter control can be hacked?
10-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #336
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't plan to do anything related to video.
To be short, I just don't think that current DSLR generation have any use in real filming.
Buy good HD camcoder to have all this instead.
10-11-2009, 08:36 AM   #337
Inactive Account

tr13 is it possible to turn off SDM in pentax body with your hacks? I'd like to use my DA*16-50 with screwdrive AF instead of SDM.

10-12-2009, 12:02 AM   #338
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I posted somethere infor about VLENS CONTROL menu item.
I believe that pressing various buttons with SDM lens on alow to trigger it.
But I am not sure.
10-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #339
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
I posted somethere infor about VLENS CONTROL menu item.
I believe that pressing various buttons with SDM lens on alow to trigger it.
But I am not sure.
Why would it be a sequence of button pushes? Are any of the other features you've uncovered actived or deactivated with a sequence of button pushes? If so, is there a number of button pushes that is standard? Like a sequence of four, five, or six? Is there any pattern to the sequences, like they all start with the info button or end with the fn button?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 10-12-2009 at 11:37 PM.
10-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #340
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oldskool Quote
tr13 is it possible to turn off SDM in pentax body with your hacks? I'd like to use my DA*16-50 with screwdrive AF instead of SDM.
That would be a must to everyone having SDM lens and afraid that they die...
10-12-2009, 03:44 AM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
That would be a must to everyone having SDM lens and afraid that they die...
Then go help tr13 and participate in the effort.

I'm really not getting how people continue to issue feature requests to tr13 without helping him or paying him.

The entire open source movement is certainly far over the edge by now. Everybody thinking that software is a free lunch by now. We just licensed one of our software products to a customer who said that "they normally don't license software anymore at all" ... What do you think all the open source programmers live from in their day job, tr13 included?
10-12-2009, 04:49 AM   #342
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of the results of pen source development in free time is very bad source code quality.
I am looking in three linux file systems and not only I think that someone out of his mind could make such thing without any documentation and funny remarks in files about "sometimes they could document this strange things", but source code make it even worse.
10-12-2009, 05:20 AM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Then go help tr13 and participate in the effort.

I'm really not getting how people continue to issue feature requests to tr13 without helping him or paying him.

I can't participate since I don't know how to programme etc.

About paying him to solve the SDM lens problem, shouldn't Pentax be the one to do it ?

(In fact I have been holding back on buying a DA 50-135 exactly due to this SDM issue.)
10-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #344
Veteran Member

Just downloaded K-7 FW 1.02, decrypted it and found very interesting strings:
QuoteQuote:
NOW LOADING
C:\LENSCPU.bin
===LENS CPU F/W UPDATE===
What? Lens FW update for Pentax lenses? Never seen this in previous models. They must been developing something...

QuoteQuote:
DRAM TEST
MEMORY TEST 50Mbyte
Aprox internal memory amount?

MODSET commands:
SR_BULB -- I guess this one is for turning SR on in bulb mode.
LENS_CPU_FIRMUP

Also:
C:\KB%03dCAM.LOG - logging camera actions? nice

"Create Recovery Firmware" - may be usefull for experiments like ours.
Also there are some media test, memory test, display test in "development menu" (debug menu)

Face detection: "Copyright (c) 2005-2009 by FotoNation. All rights reserved..Face Detection Library v.1.2.118.4"
10-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #345

Debug mode for K-x will be possible when Pentax releases firmware that can be decrypted?

Thanks.