Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #346
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
Debug mode for K-x will be possible when Pentax releases firmware that can be decrypted?

Thanks.

Try creating MODSET.TXT + MODSET.XXX (XXX somewhere from 400 to 500)
and turn-on with holding [delete] button. (Or may be card door open).

PS: I've found in K-7 1.02 also strings about LV functions and MODSET.TXT (while MODSET.%3d is also there)

10-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #347
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
I don't plan to do anything related to video.
To be short, I just don't think that current DSLR generation have any use in real filming.
Buy good HD camcoder to have all this instead.
Too bad you feel this way.

I, for one, think that video mode in DSLR is a bless. I'm newbie in photography but pretty experienced with video. I just sold my trusty Canon HV30 camcorder with Twoneil 35mm adapter etc. and preordered the Pentax K-X. I love the ability to use a wide range of professional lenses, getting great low light performance and shallow DOF out of the box. Of course the ergonomy of DSLR doesn't match that of pro-grade camcorder but I'm not run'n'gun type shooter, so that's fine. MJPEG is a great compromise for guys like me who prefers edit lightly compressed material (instead of heavy H264), doesn't like tapes and disk space is not a issue. I know that K-X has some serious problems (no mic input, rolling shutter effect, auto ISO etc.) but discovering those manual controls through firmware hacking is certainly a step in the right direction. The Pentax K-X is cheap ass camera but records marvellous video for the price.

Canon 5D Mark II hackers do recognize the positives of DSLR filming: Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

I'm sorry for all this offtopic and by no means I want to offend you, tr13. You're doing excellent job. I just got a little carried away. I'm watching this space for any information on K-X hacks.
10-22-2009, 04:48 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Why would it be a sequence of button pushes? Are any of the other features you've uncovered actived or deactivated with a sequence of button pushes? If so, is there a number of button pushes that is standard? Like a sequence of four, five, or six? Is there any pattern to the sequences, like they all start with the info button or end with the fn button?

Thank you
Russell
Up up down down left right left right B A?
10-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #349
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
Debug mode for K-x will be possible when Pentax releases firmware that can be decrypted?

Thanks.
In fact you don't need decrypted firmware.
All you need is many MODSET.xxx files created by script or bat file.

10-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #350
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shittii Quote
Too bad you feel this way.

I, for one, think that video mode in DSLR is a bless. I'm newbie in photography but pretty experienced with video. I just sold my trusty Canon HV30 camcorder with Twoneil 35mm adapter etc. and preordered the Pentax K-X. I love the ability to use a wide range of professional lenses, getting great low light performance and shallow DOF out of the box. Of course the ergonomy of DSLR doesn't match that of pro-grade camcorder but I'm not run'n'gun type shooter, so that's fine. MJPEG is a great compromise for guys like me who prefers edit lightly compressed material (instead of heavy H264), doesn't like tapes and disk space is not a issue. I know that K-X has some serious problems (no mic input, rolling shutter effect, auto ISO etc.) but discovering those manual controls through firmware hacking is certainly a step in the right direction. The Pentax K-X is cheap ass camera but records marvellous video for the price.
I don't think that this is blessing. Right now it is party marketing thing (for 95% of users) and partly indie-i-need-this guys thing.
To be short - you don't need small DOF, good low light performance and "professional lenses" to shoot something good on video. Much more frequently you need good handling, good light, large DOF and video related functions.
And especially, you need good idea. This is rare in indie community.

QuoteQuote:
Canon 5D Mark II hackers do recognize the positives of DSLR filming: Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki
Looking at this project I believe that it is closely related to Canon. As this guy is professional working on it many hours a week and not on much easear to make functions but on ones that don't hurt Canon.
At least he coordinate his efforts with them. But I may be wrong here.
10-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #351
Inactive Account

I don't think that this is blessing. Right now it is party marketing thing (for 95% of users) and partly indie-i-need-this guys thing.
To be short - you don't need small DOF, good low light performance and "professional lenses" to shoot something good on video. Much more frequently you need good handling, good light, large DOF and video related functions.
And especially, you need good idea. This is rare in indie community.
The marketing is what it is. Isn't all this firmware hacking about bringing more features, more value out of the cam and releasing our inner creativity? I'm working as a first assistant director in this Finnish soap opera TV series. I have access to some superb camera equipment in our studio but when I come home, I need something more casual and lighter gear to capture the enviroment and every day life around me. I really appreciate the DSLR's qualities in this department (the already mentioned shallow DOF for example, which by the way, doesn't rule out large DOF either.)

The handling issue is a matter of taste and habit. I'm used to Canon XL H1A pro grade cam, but can handle smaller camcorders and DSLR's as well. I tend to shoot 90% of time from tripod and really into this Andrei Tarkovsky school of static shots. Good lighting is self-explanatory but I cannot always control the amount/type of light in field when doing non-planned shooting (in a hobby sense.)

My point is that even hobbyists (not only indie film makers) prefer the amount of control in their cameras. And many like the video a DSLR can offer while still being able to take great pictures. Pentax K-X is a great example of a hybrid with some limitations. I would jump for joy if we could some day see zebra peaking and manual ISO control on K-X. I don't know if it's even remotely possible and of course you hackers should focus on things you see important. It's just that I find it bit disappointing if you decide to completely abandon this side of hacking. Here's IMHO a nice demonstration of creative possibilities of DSLR video:

But I'm still eternally grateful for all these great photo improvements you bring to us!

Looking at this project I believe that it is closely related to Canon. As this guy is professional working on it many hours a week and not on much easear to make functions but on ones that don't hurt Canon.
I don't really know who's behind all this, or how much effort it took. All I know is that those improvements really make my socks spin!

I hope I don't steal your thunder by ranting in this thread.
10-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #352
Veteran Member

Well I must say if you can find a way to disable DFS for longer exposures you will be very popular.
10-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #353
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shittii Quote
The marketing is what it is. Isn't all this firmware hacking about bringing more features, more value out of the cam and releasing our inner creativity?
No. It is about improving handling of manual lenses.
Today I don't belive about "bringing new features" anymore.

QuoteQuote:
I'm working as a first assistant director in this Finnish soap opera TV series. I have access to some superb camera equipment in our studio but when I come home, I need something more casual and lighter gear to capture the enviroment and every day life around me. I really appreciate the DSLR's qualities in this department (the already mentioned shallow DOF for example, which by the way, doesn't rule out large DOF either.)
Video is nice thing to have. But current DSLR are not suitable for normal shooting by average people.

QuoteQuote:
My point is that even hobbyists (not only indie film makers) prefer the amount of control in their cameras. And many like the video a DSLR can offer while still being able to take great pictures. Pentax K-X is a great example of a hybrid with some limitations. I would jump for joy if we could some day see zebra peaking and manual ISO control on K-X. I don't know if it's even remotely possible and of course you hackers should focus on things you see important. It's just that I find it bit disappointing if you decide to completely abandon this side of hacking. Here's IMHO a nice demonstration of creative possibilities of DSLR video:
I really suggest to go and buy duo of good camcorder (I suggest Panasonic and JVC for their handing and control) and really good video capable DSLR, like Panasonic GH1.
K-x is just a toy with CMOS sensor that is just line scanned and not adapted to video.

10-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #354
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just my personal feeling, but I really doubt Canon is involved in any way. If they were, they'd just put the features in the official firmware, and remove the risk of unintended issues in third-party firmware costing them support money.
10-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #355
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by knoxploration Quote
Just my personal feeling, but I really doubt Canon is involved in any way. If they were, they'd just put the features in the official firmware, and remove the risk of unintended issues in third-party firmware costing them support money.
In fact it really looks strange. Project started right after rants on forums become noticeble, but firmware still was not ready. Initial progress was astonishing, guy still don't provide any disassembled listings or any data about it. He don't answer on any questions related to this. I never heard about this is real hacking attempts.
As he ignored all top requests, some of them quite easy to make.
I really think that Canon uses him as a bait for video related professionals. They eventually come with proper firmware, but they also need to sell other cameras for someone who don't want to wait, so we have delays.

I really suggest Pentax to have third-party team that could work on improving firmware for old models in quite open manner. Discussing all issues with users. Project won't be open source, but it won't be without-feedback corporate stuff either.
10-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #356
Veteran Member

As he ignored all top requests, some of them quite easy to make.
Perhaps like yourself, he had a clear idea of what he wanted to add, and wasn't soliciting requests for things he didn't have a personal interest in adding? ;-)
10-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #357
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In fact, I clearly stated that I want to do in first post. And that all of disassembling efforts are open and I am also open to any questions.
I never been able to find something like this on Magic Lantern firmware pages.
I also don't see anything open in that project, as they have open sources, but you can't change them without appropriate information anyway, and this information is closed.
As I know he is quite paranoid about reversing legality and I don't believe that he could start this without Canon approval.
10-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #358
Veteran Member

In fact, I clearly stated that I want to do in first post. And that all of disassembling efforts are open and I am also open to any questions.
I never been able to find something like this on Magic Lantern firmware pages.
I also don't see anything open in that project, as they have open sources, but you can't change them without appropriate information anyway, and this information is closed.
As I know he is quite paranoid about reversing legality and I don't believe that he could start this without Canon approval.
Who knows, maybe you're right - but I can't personally see any resaon for Canon to permit a third-party project without publicly endorsing it.

My comment wasn't a knock on your efforts, by the way. Just pointing out that everybody has their own goals in any project. For example, a number of people have requested features related to video, but you've stated you're not interested in DSLR video - and hence you're not interested in considering video-related feature requests.

The same could be true of the Canon project - the guy behind it may very well simply not be interested in adding the stuff he's had requested but not added, for his own personal reasons.
10-24-2009, 04:26 AM   #359
Pentaxian

I really suggest Pentax to have third-party team that could work on improving firmware for old models in quite open manner.
That'll be great but it ain't gonna happen.
Pentax wants people who are having issues with their older models to upgrade to newer models. If people were able to fix some issues in their old models, they would be less inclined to upgrade to a new model.

If people were able to use manual lenses with less compromised, they'd be less inclined to buy newer Pentax lenses.

Shamed be he who thinks evil of the number of models it takes Pentax handle auto-ISO correctly. While the K20D didn't kill it with exposure compensation anymore, the hyperprogram mode and its interaction with auto-ISO had a bug. The K-7 improved on it, but still isn't there...
10-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #360
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In reality this is wrong points.
Pentax heeds marketing and making small hacking team of programmers, not an open-source team, but team that constantly ask users and implement their small wishes, allow to have constant and free press coverage.
Part of strong resistance is due to very low code quality on most closed projects.
And another part come from managers and their constant fear to show some proprieraty algorithms or innovations (most of firms don't have any, btw).