Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #361
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shittii Quote
The marketing is what it is. Isn't all this firmware hacking about bringing more features, more value out of the cam and releasing our inner creativity? I'm working as a first assistant director in this Finnish soap opera TV series. I have access to some superb camera equipment in our studio but when I come home, I need something more casual and lighter gear to capture the enviroment and every day life around me. I really appreciate the DSLR's qualities in this department (the already mentioned shallow DOF for example, which by the way, doesn't rule out large DOF either.)

The handling issue is a matter of taste and habit. I'm used to Canon XL H1A pro grade cam, but can handle smaller camcorders and DSLR's as well. I tend to shoot 90% of time from tripod and really into this Andrei Tarkovsky school of static shots. Good lighting is self-explanatory but I cannot always control the amount/type of light in field when doing non-planned shooting (in a hobby sense.)

My point is that even hobbyists (not only indie film makers) prefer the amount of control in their cameras. And many like the video a DSLR can offer while still being able to take great pictures. Pentax K-X is a great example of a hybrid with some limitations. I would jump for joy if we could some day see zebra peaking and manual ISO control on K-X. I don't know if it's even remotely possible and of course you hackers should focus on things you see important. It's just that I find it bit disappointing if you decide to completely abandon this side of hacking. Here's IMHO a nice demonstration of creative possibilities of DSLR video:

But I'm still eternally grateful for all these great photo improvements you bring to us!

I don't really know who's behind all this, or how much effort it took. All I know is that those improvements really make my socks spin!

I hope I don't steal your thunder by ranting in this thread.
those videos are great! can't wait to get my k-x...hopefully i can get some of the same results.

Last edited by lukevega; 10-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.
10-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #362
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukevega Quote
your videos are great! can't wait to get my k-x...hopefully i can get some of the same results.
Presuming you're referring to The Pannzian Masterplan video, it's not his / hers. It was made by another forum member, soccerjoe5 (using his K-7 and another non-SLR camera, I forget which):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/72112-another-adve...ing-video.html

Might want to post your praise in his thread where he's more likely to see it. His Cambodiaaaa video is also great - wish I had his talent (and hardware!) for video editing.
10-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #363

I just got into debug menu of K-x. Wait few hours and I'll identify the exact file you need on the card and what button you have to press.
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #364

Debug Mode K-x

How to get into DEBUG mode for K-x, firmware 1.0:

1) create file MODSET.492 with
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

- line must end with CR/LF (endline char in windows)
2) turn on the camera while holding +/- (Av) button
3) congratulations, you are in debug menu

10-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #365
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Please, send to my email address dumped eeprom (look at corrsponding page on how to make dumps).
10-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #366
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Please, send to my email address dumped eeprom (look at corrsponding page on how to make dumps).
Debug mode
10-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #367
MCR
Inactive Account

Today I tested K-x and K7. In K-x in debug mode I found FocusCorrector (FF/BF) :

10-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #368

Funny, mine has -20 in default too. Good thing is I don't have to use it anymore, all my lens are in tolerance (pretty much spot on). Even DA 21 that used to BF pretty hard on K-m (focus corr 120) is corrected.
10-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #369

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Did you get it?
10-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #370
MCR
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jerrymouse Quote
Funny, mine has -20 in default too. Good thing is I don't have to use it anymore, all my lens are in tolerance (pretty much spot on). Even DA 21 that used to BF pretty hard on K-m (focus corr 120) is corrected.
jerrymouse, for today I had a K20D; tommorow I will buy K7; today I have a occassion to try K-x in my friendly photo shop;
K-x is in my opinion very interesting camera with amazing ISO...
11-04-2009, 09:01 AM   #371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Please excuse my ignorance, but help me understand the adjustments nessesary to correct AF issues.

Example, my lens if back focusing and my camera says it is set to -20um. I would adjust it towards zero? or if it was front focusing, would I push it more into negative? (ex: -30um)
if it is at 0, does a positive setting make it front focus more? and a negative setting makes it back focus more?

Also, how do you take it out of debug mode when finished?
11-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #372
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Example, my lens if back focusing and my camera says it is set to -20um. I would adjust it towards zero? or if it was front focusing, would I push it more into negative? (ex: -30um)
Yes.

if it is at 0, does a positive setting make it front focus more? and a negative setting makes it back focus more?
Yes, you increase the setting to address back focus and vice versa.

Please note that strictly speaking these questions are off-topic for this thread.

Also, how do you take it out of debug mode when finished?
If you got there using a key sequence (e.g., K100D) then use the same procedure. If you got there using a MODSET file, use the same method but use "[DEBUG_MODE DIS]" instead of "[DEBUG_MODE EN]". Perhaps there is a smarter way but I don't know it as I can use the key sequence and have no access to another camera.
11-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jerrymouse posted this:

1) create file MODSET.492 with
[OPEN_DEBUG_MENU]

Since you do not use [DEBUG_MODE EN], does [DEBUG_MODE DIS] work?

[CLOSE_DEBUG_MENU] ?
11-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #374
pbo
Veteran Member

On K-x, after you activate Debug mode, every time you power up (even w/o modset file in SD card), a service menu will show up - there you can disable debug menu.
11-08-2009, 03:26 AM   #375
Forum Member

I seem to be having issues with K7 1.02 firmware bringing up the debug menu. Is it still MODSET.474?