Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Well i started fooling around with that dll file. If something usefull comes up i'll let you know.
Are there any basic functions that are already documented, as a starting point?
Like CamOpen CamClose etc.

There was that GX10-K10D Debug Mode Control utility by makc:
Re: k10d backfocus - dslreports.com
Is he involved in you'r project. Obviously he has managed to use some of the Camera_Control_V2.dll functions in his utility and may have some use full experience. Wonder if there is a source code for his utility.

Btw, if you know some interesting penta-club.ru links, toss them here.

07-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
Well i started fooling around with that dll file. If something usefull comes up i'll let you know.
Are there any basic functions that are already documented, as a starting point?
Like CamOpen CamClose etc.

There was that GX10-K10D Debug Mode Control utility by makc:
Re: k10d backfocus - dslreports.com
Is he involved in you'r project. Obviously he has managed to use some of the Camera_Control_V2.dll functions in his utility and may have some use full experience. Wonder if there is a source code for his utility.

Btw, if you know some interesting penta-club.ru links, toss them here.
Yes, I have link to this utility on site and DLL is from it.
You could use freely available IDA version to disassembly exe file to look how DLL is used. It also uses wnaspi32.dll to find link to camera installed as removable disk.
07-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #33
Forum Member

I have done many years of programming in C, x86 ASM, Basic, Pascal, Perl, etc. but never on embedded systems. I haven't disassembled anything for about 10 years. I also have limited time due to a busy day job and young family

However, I have a K20D (soon to be K7?) and willing to help out. If you have anything in mind, PM me.
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by juice Quote
I have done many years of programming in C, x86 ASM, Basic, Pascal, Perl, etc. but never on embedded systems. I haven't disassembled anything for about 10 years. I also have limited time due to a busy day job and young family

However, I have a K20D (soon to be K7?) and willing to help out. If you have anything in mind, PM me.
You are welcome, look at encryption section on my site. It don't require emdebbed expirience. As we need to decrypt firmware first.

07-28-2009, 10:09 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I managed to find GX-20 service manual, looks like correct one.
If anyone want to help our project (and have it available for free download btw), you could pay this basterds :-)

Samsung - GX-20 Service Manual on Windows Drivers Downloads
07-29-2009, 04:50 AM   #36

I just happened to have some stuff that i think can be used for your project:
GX10 service software + manual
Almost all pentax and samsung service manuals
Some service manuals for AF film cameras, not very useful, I guess, but might be interesting
Sorry, but right now I have no time to upload it to another file hosting.
Just enter the confirmation code (right side) and click the button below.
07-29-2009, 05:12 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Spasibo za programmi i servisniye rukovodstva!
Big thangs for service software for GX10. Could be useful not only for our project but to ordinary users.
Now we have GX20 manual also (looks identical to previously mentioned). DJVU version is even better as it is smaller.
I'll put all to download section soon, look for site updates.

Special note for earlier models users - second archive contains complete service manuals for your models!

UPDATE : All manuals and software are now available at my site.

Last edited by tr13; 07-29-2009 at 07:52 AM.
07-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Kruta!
Seems like information gathering gets going.
Vam nekazetsa sto bolsenstvo poleznoi informaci mozna naiti kak ras na russkim jaziki .

Last edited by ytterbium; 07-29-2009 at 01:45 PM.
07-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All information I see here is in english :-)

I am searching for FR Softune Compiler now, as if we'll need to do even simple things we'll need it as writing in assembler for RISC platforms is not very entertaining thing.

Please note also that FR module for IDA is available in sources inside IDA SDK, so it can be improved if we need it.
07-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
Thanks for respons guys.

1) Bricking body with firmware is possible for developer only. If you don't touch loader that searches for firmware files on SD upon bootup and allows you to reflash you are not bricked. This point perfectly illustrates that most firmware is developed by incompetent students (as soon as you read "use fully charged battery" you must know they are near :-) ) Loader must not be touched upon firmware flashing, and yes, it is quite easy to do.
By the way, K10D/GX10 firmware have BASIC like batch language interpreter build in. Not much commands, but something like in batch files.

2) As for video - no at this point. I believe that guys at dxuser pretty good dissected K20 sensor. It is absolutly useless. And as it is DSP related things it'll be extremely hard.

3) Guys, you have good body, but small improvements are possible. And I want to concentrate on small foto improvements.

4) As for Pentax. If they are smart, they'll help. If not, they'll be silent. Sucessfull hack is the most cheap and useful way to great buzz arount your products.
2) That is understand and agree with.

4) I suspect that you will never get this support from Pentax. Not because they are stupid but more because of the corporate culture within Pentax. I really wish Pentax would prove me wrong!
07-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't understand how could you have the M lenses to behave like A ones with just software modifications, when the problem is hardware based. Same for configuration of "each lens", when the non-AF ones have no means to tell the camera their identity...
07-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #42
Dom

Superb, I really hope you manage to pull it off.

if you only succeed in doing one thing, being able to properly control the 'dark frame' it would be a great improvement.
07-30-2009, 08:29 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dom Quote
Superb, I really hope you manage to pull it off.

if you only succeed in doing one thing, being able to properly control the 'dark frame' it would be a great improvement.
That is specifically what I am interested in...

To the OP, I will enjoy helping out with the code, once I am done with vacation mode.

I'm now heading off to the West Coast Trail with 40 lbs of camera equipment (it's a guess but it is a pretty heavy backpack).
07-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #44
Forum Member

Isn't it available for download from fujitsu or is this a limited functionality version?

Edit: I haven't installed the software yet, but I registered at the site, downloaded the softune workbench, and received the password for installation within a couple of hours.

Last edited by KyPainter; 07-30-2009 at 10:49 AM.
07-30-2009, 09:16 AM   #45
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So in layman terms, what kind of things would one be able to do with hacked firmware on the K20/10D?