Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 05:14 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is cool! Ever since I got my K100D three years ago (then K10 -> K20) I always wondered why no one has made hacked firmware for our cameras to improve the little things (and maybe add some cool features as well). Good luck! (I have zero knowledge about these stuff, so consider me a cheerleader to your cause! My moral support is with you guys!)

08-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could easily answer why no one made hacked firmware.

1) It require free time and quite an expertise. Most people who can make such hack could afford to buy better DSLR, like 5D Mk II :-)
2) Most successfull hacks are made by young people in developing countries. So, small salaries and bunch of free time :-)

Today we are in the era of Apple IIe, and soon IBM PC will be available.
Mobile phone market is also near this period. And you could only guess potential just by looking at Apple iPhone Apps Store.
As soon as camera makers could understand that firmware must be developed incrementally and have parts of source available publicly.
08-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #63

tr13, my eternal gratitude goes to you, for your unselfish efforts.
Unfortunatelly I'm designer, not programmer, and can't help you directly.
If there is anything else I can do to help "our cause", let me know.
Thanks again and good luck!
08-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #64
Forum Member

I would love to see a little more technical detail on your site. More detail on the encryption used, how it was deciphered, the algorithm used, even the source code.

I used to be very good at such things, but I've been away from it for a few years and it's a hard to follow what you are doing, much less understand or duplicate it, from a couple screenshots.

08-03-2009, 08:04 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KyPainter Quote
I would love to see a little more technical detail on your site. More detail on the encryption used, how it was deciphered, the algorithm used, even the source code.

I used to be very good at such things, but I've been away from it for a few years and it's a hard to follow what you are doing, much less understand or duplicate it, from a couple screenshots.
I posted some details on this thread and on site.
But removed most of them as I don't see the point and want to be sure that same encryption will be used in new firmware versions (mostly for K-7).

If you want to help, you could check checksum like 0xFC.
08-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #66
emr

This is VERY interesting! I certainly hope you could one day provide an alternative firmware with additional options, like the CHDK for Canon. I also hope that Hoya doesn't send the legal big guns to prevent this from happening.
08-03-2009, 08:22 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Like CHDK for Canon - definitely no.
You must know how many years and how many guys are required to make something like this. This is reason why Hudson is so fast with 5D Mk II development, as he have almost all information and ready tools.
And it took them about a year to just understand few basic things (without any useful firmware releases).

08-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Interesting.
Yess the main problem is free-time-per-programmer-brand-users i guess. Pentax has few users so the cumulative time of those who could contribute is much less. Even less of those who could do it at the same time, so the interaction and cooperation is low.

During the last week i had time only to create a project in DevCpp calling one function from CamCtrlV2-dll and mess with it like twice without any real results (except crashing windows - this scares me from connecting the camera).

I believe disable SDM is in the wish-list already (as well as in my must-have list before i purchase any SDM lenses).
So AF calibration from k20d in k200d would be nice as well.
08-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
May be it is possible.
You'll need change file headers (for original encrypted firmware).
One header is at start of file.
Second at 0x800000.
Result could be either working or bricked camera.
Most possible it'll work but will be completely unusable, as all settings (read service manual to understand that it is bunch of them) will be wrong.
And why do you need K20D firmware?
Thanks! So it's pretty complicated, risky and useless. Good to know.
I don't really need the K20D firmware but I know the Pentax has more control over the colors and also a B&W (Monochrome) mode. I do shoot in raw but I have little time for post processing so many times I just convert the DNG with the in-camera color settings.
Your project is very, very, interesting and I'll keep checking this thread. Sorry I can't help

Cheers,
Andrei
08-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My current plans:
1) Find text file reading routine and use it to read configuration from text file on flash.
2) No visual interface is planned at this time.
2) Try to understand build in firmware script engine.
08-03-2009, 09:21 AM   #71
Veteran Member

tr13,
How many are showing interest in reversing the code and should it be broken up to be more efficient? I've also wondered if taking time to build a simulator might be time well spent. Little is known about what ports/pins are connected to what and probably can't physically be seen anyways. A simulator could be helpful in figuring this out. You've got it this far, I'm willing to help, what's the gameplan?
08-03-2009, 09:43 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Currently I am working on decrypting last firmware part.
It must not take long.

Next we'll start using info for K10D (from abandoned project) and move it to GX20 firmware.

As for simulator project.
It is possible to do. But is quite hard.
Good point it that we have full FR ASM documentation and it is RISC.
Bad point is that hardware details of M-4 integrated chip are known very bad.
We need to get this documentation from people involved in M-4 based firmware creation.
Best solution is to make debugger (with breakpoint support) with simple simulator.
May be we could use some info from Softune.
As I understand we don't have REALOS in our Softune distribution. And we need copy with REALOS and support for M-4 chips.
08-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Today we are in the era of Apple IIe, and soon IBM PC will be available.
I agree that the current landscape will change.

I've argued before that Pentax should Make Great Hardware Greater by (cheap) Software by adopting at least a partial open source/access policy.

The opportunities are awesome and there for the taking. Who of the big camera manufactures will be the first to understand?
08-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #74
Pentaxian

But removed most of them as I don't see the point and want to be sure that same encryption will be used in new firmware versions (mostly for K-7).
Sorry, but I don't understand this. If Pentax doesn't like what you are doing then they will change the encryption no matter whether or not you publish how it works.

The only rationale I can see in your action to remove details about the encryption is that you don't want the details to spread around and reach Pentax. But don't you think they will learn about your success sooner or later?
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #75
Veteran Member

want to be sure that same encryption will be used in new firmware versions (mostly for K-7).
From my naive thinking, shouldn't encryption be built into the firmware boot loader or firmware updater which cannot be changed?