Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #1

K20D checklist of faults or things to look out for

I was hoping you all could give me a list of potential problems I could check my new K20D for. The thing is, I'll only have a few days to bring it back to the shop so I thought it might be best to do a quick systematic once-over.

I've heard something about occasional autofocus issues, front or back focusing and banding or hot pixels.

Also wondering about whether or not to upgrade the firmware when I get it, not sure if it comes with the latest 1.03 or not.

Any help appreciated and am really looking forward to the new toy!

thanks

Last edited by davidxgreen; 07-28-2009 at 12:02 AM.
07-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A complete check would entail testing every single feature it has - if you've got the time, it may be worth your while. It may not be all that necessary though. The important things of AF accurancy and locking ability, low-light and high-ISO image quality (when properly exposed) and each lens's performance on the camera are the way to go. Everything else is evident on the menu and function buttons.

Updated firmware is always advisable - it sorts out some of the AF and SDM glitches from earlier firmwares. Hope you're pleased with your new toy.
07-28-2009, 03:16 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Had mine for a month now...easily the best DSLR I have owned. I suppose you could Google problems K20d but you can do that with any camera. Take lots of pics and play with it as you go. If you like it you"ll keep it, if you don"t well...........?
07-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

As Ash says, update the firmware and test it with all your lenses. If there's a bit of BF/FF with one of them, it's not a big deal since the camera has an adjustment feature for up to 20 lenses. BF/FF is an issue any brand or model can have.

The camera does well at high ISO's when properly exposed. banding only really shows up in badly underexposed, high ISO shots. That too in an issue on other brands.

Really this model has no major flaws. AF is good (there are better but this is a good camera in most situations) and image quality is excellent.

07-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Small rant warning

Forgive me for this rant, but I don't understand why people assume they need to look for defects in the camera, any camera.

While I can appreciate from time to time defects may come into play these are generally rare and noticed immediately, and covered under warranty or over the counter replacements by the seller.

I do, however agree with Ash and Peter, that you should test your camera with each and every lens you own, check exposure accuracy across the entire exposure range, and check (plus with K20D and K7D adjust as necessary) focus for accuracy. This is not so much a check for defects, but to understand the limitations your camera may have with any particular lens. It is something I did with both my *istD and K10D, and have to stipll do with my K7D.
07-28-2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Lowell I was tempted to post the same thoughts but didn't want to be hard on a new shooter/member.

In this case, particularly the K20D which has proven itself as a solid and trouble free unit. Considering the thousands and thousands of units sold, we have heard nearly zero wrong with the camera. In fact I'd say most issues have been user error and not camera fault.
07-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #7

Original Poster
explanation

I'm not a new shooter, been using the K10D since the day it was released. The reason for my question is that I will have one week to test out the camera before leaving the country, so the answers so far - which is exactly what I was hoping for - will serve as my quick checklist to make sure that I can bring it back to B&H if need be and get another. Otherwise, I'm looking at potentially high shipping fees, being without the camera and so on.

I also had the maybe mistaken impression that a lot of k20ds had been returned awhile back for focusing issues or others.

Thanks to all for your input and if there's anything anyone else might mention, it might also serve as a general checklist for anyone buying any camera, especially second hand, for example.

07-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi David, enjoy your new K20D. Looks like you've gotten good advice on what to check on your camera. Unless the individual unit is a dud, I think you'll be very happy. I really enjoyed the upgrade from my K10D, especially in terms of higher ISO shots.

(David, the following isn't aimed at you. You've stated your reasons for checking it out during the return period, which is perfectly reasonable. I just found the following bit humorous.)

As for the other theme about looking for trouble with a new camera, I also agree. Some people just go overboard. My new personal favorite seen on another brand camera forum was a guy that bought a new camera, immediately ran the hot pixel mapping, and then wanted to know how to unmap his mapping because he couldn't tell with a before and after shot how well the pixel mapping worked. Of course, his new camera was working just fine, but he was really indignant that he couldn't unmap his pixel mapping. He just knew there was a problem that he had somehow missed, and now his opportunity to complain about it was gone.
07-28-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidxgreen Quote
I'm not a new shooter, been using the K10D since the day it was released.
Since you are already familiar with the K10D, with the exception of a few new features like Live View, the K20D is very similar.

QuoteOriginally posted by davidxgreen Quote
I also had the maybe mistaken impression that a lot of k20ds had been returned awhile back for focusing issues or others.
It is the K10D that has had the lion's share of focusing issues. Focusing is a lot more accurate with the K20D, and you have the option to make focus adjustments if need be.
07-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

David

Please accept my appologies for the rant.

I hope you enjoy the K20 as much as you have your K10.

As for checking it out, before your trip that is a good idea, and again, try all your lenses to make sure you know how they behave. Fortunately with respect to metering and focus, I believe the 2 cameras are much the same, except on K20 you can adjust focus.

Depending on what you have done with the K10, I would suggest taking it as a back up, sinde it uses the same batteries etc.
10-05-2009, 01:38 AM   #11

Original Poster
thanks for all your input

Just wanted to thank y'all for letting me know a few things to look out for. I picked up the k20d, had about a week to test it and found only one "problem" there was no catch-focusing. asked about this at B&H and was explained I just needed to tick that box in the custom settings menu. Perfect.
Am extremely pleased with the camera and finding it a big notch up from the k10d so thanks again.
10-05-2009, 02:31 AM   #12

I would say:
One thing to look out for, no matter brand of camera, when buying used equipment is the state of the sensor.

It seems some people are using un dedicated ways of cleaning sensors.
Air compressors for instance.
Air compressors leave stains of oil on the sensor.

So what I would certainly do when buying used camera is to bring my laptop and a card reader and make some sensor inspection photos and make thorough inspections before paying up front.

Niklas