Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance of the K7, but of course, my tests at work are a subjective thing. I just point them all at a wall and trigger them and see what kind of focusing speed I get. The K7 is definitely quicker on it's feet than the K20D or K200D, but again, this is just by feel.

The camera doesn't always make the image, remember. I can't tell you there aren't tons of sports photographers and wildlife photographers using Canon for a reason, but the importance of a camera's automated systems is far too overrated. They certainly make it easier, but capturing a moment is just as much a test of the photographer as it is of the equipment. I've captured many things in motion, in focus, with my Spotmatic body. You learn to work around your equipment to get the best results. If all you do as a photographer is point your camera at something and blindly fire off shots in hope of getting a good one, you're relying on your camera, not your skills.

Not that this is an excuse for Pentax to have slower AF, of course. Faster would be better, I just don't think it's the world-ending issue people make it out to be. Every photographer using ANY system, be they Canon, Nikon, Pentax or others, have to work around the limitations of their systems. The grass isn't that much greener on the other side.
Well said, Drew - and I agree wholeheartedly. I've seen countless examples of terrific "action" photography on this forum, and - for that matter - in the '70's and '80's I became reasonably proficient at capturing my fast-moving kids with MX and LX bodies while manually focusing M-series lenses.

However, as you suggest in your last paragraph, my issue here is simply understanding whether the price-performance relationship for the K-7 (which includes AF functionality) is sufficiently attractive (in my mind) to entice me to pick up a copy of my own or continue to enjoy both my K20D and my money in the bank.

Jer

07-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
For those of you who have used both the K7 and either the 40D or 50D, how would you say that the AF speed compares between them?
Comparisons to other cameras may be a fun topic, but the only important question is whether the K-7's focusing speed and accuracy are good enough to suit one's own needs. Obsessing about minor differences in performance of various cameras can actually be a distraction from the things that really matter.

Rob
07-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Comparisons to other cameras may be a fun topic, but the only important question is whether the K-7's focusing speed and accuracy are good enough to suit one's own needs. Obsessing about minor differences in performance of various cameras can actually be a distraction from the things that really matter.

Rob
I agree mate and the K-7's AF speed suits me.

I am over the moon with this camera and instead of all the fault finding and comparisons with other brands I keep finding things I love more about this camera, especially when I use my second body GX20, it now feels foreign ..I am quick to return to and now a far happier photographer with a K-7 in my hand than ever before.

Neil
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-7 just arrived, and I had the K10D before and I can tell you it is a night and day difference. It is astonishingly fast...faster than me, and I am never waiting for the AF to lock any more. This is in decent indoor light without the green button.

07-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well folks, you'll never believe what I found out today.

As with other major decisions regarding my gear, I chatted with my dad last night at length about my experience with the 40D on Monday. Earlier this evening, he calls me back to inform me that today, he and Mom called the camera store I was at on Monday and bought that 40D body for me. If I told you that I was anything less than excited, I'd be lying to you--I'm very excited!

Since I can't afford to have both Pentax and Canon systems, the Pentax gear has to go. Keep an eye on the Marketplace if you may be interested in picking up any of my gear. This body isn't coming with any lenses, so I need to raise funds to start building my Canon kit.

Heather
07-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Well folks, you'll never believe what I found out today.

As with other major decisions regarding my gear, I chatted with my dad last night at length about my experience with the 40D on Monday. Earlier this evening, he calls me back to inform me that today, he and Mom called the camera store I was at on Monday and bought that 40D body for me. If I told you that I was anything less than excited, I'd be lying to you--I'm very excited!

Since I can't afford to have both Pentax and Canon systems, the Pentax gear has to go. Keep an eye on the Marketplace if you may be interested in picking up any of my gear. This body isn't coming with any lenses, so I need to raise funds to start building my Canon kit.

Heather
Dads (and Grampas) can be really great (I'm biased). Enjoy your new camera!

Jer
07-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Well, congratulations on the new camera. The 40D is a wonderful rig and I think you'll be very happy with it. Feel free to hit me up for lens advice if you want. (And if you were impressed with the 18-200 speed, just wait until you get your hands on some of the really fast glass...)

07-29-2009, 07:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Enjoy the new camera, but you'll miss the 43/1.9. Other than that you'll be good-to-go.
07-30-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
Inactive Account

congrats on your new toy. let us know how the 40d works and quirks
07-30-2009, 09:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Congrats. I would be very interested in a write-up comparing your past experiences with the K20D to the new 40D.