Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Vivitar flash on DS question

I've got a Vivitar 2000 flash---the only manual I can find on the internet is of a different model of the flash that goes by the same name. The one I have, the head can tilt. The one in the manual (and actually, I have that one too ), the head is always aimed straight ahead and cannot tilt.

I've been using it on a Vivitar V3800N film SLR, but just got an *ist DS. My buddy borrowed the flash and hasn't had a problem using it on his Rebel XT.

1) Can you check the trigger voltage with a regular multimeter? Is the trigger voltage present the entire time, or only when it is fired?

2) If it works on his Rebel XT, could I assume it would be fine on my DS? I don't want to hurt my camera!

Thank you all!!

05-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=87069&forum_id=53
If it didn't fry the Canon, more than likely it will not fry the Pentax........
Still best to check for yourself...... food for thought.
05-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Alright, I'll try testing it myself when I get it back. Thanks for the link, that showed me a picture which confirmed the proper way to test it. I've looked on charts, but as someone on the chart said, there were several Vivitar 2000's
05-09-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JahJahwarrior Quote
I've got a Vivitar 2000 flash---the only manual I can find on the internet is of a different model of the flash that goes by the same name. The one I have, the head can tilt. The one in the manual (and actually, I have that one too ), the head is always aimed straight ahead and cannot tilt.

I've been using it on a Vivitar V3800N film SLR, but just got an *ist DS. My buddy borrowed the flash and hasn't had a problem using it on his Rebel XT.

1) Can you check the trigger voltage with a regular multimeter? Is the trigger voltage present the entire time, or only when it is fired?

2) If it works on his Rebel XT, could I assume it would be fine on my DS? I don't want to hurt my camera!

Thank you all!!
Full answers here: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Which Flash Units are Safe for Pentax DSLRs?

In short, for total safety, use only original brand flashes, the warning from Pentax is true, they are not lying for just want us to buy their flash units alone.

Do note the flash can be fires doesn't necessarily mean that it causes no damage to the camera body, especially when it is used over time for extended period.

05-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a 25 year old Vivitar 3700 with tilt-swivel head and have had no problems using it on my DS for 1 & 1/2 years. I did not check the voltage, as the concerns weren't raised until after my first trial by fire. However, your mileage may vary.

Tim