Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I found I had to turn my head to the side more to get the same view. If you try to look straight on there is nose way it'll work. This does smell of a plot to sell screen protectors.

07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buy a P&S

David
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Use live view...that's what it's for.

c[_]
07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Buy a P&S

David
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Use live view...that's what it's for.

c[_]
hehehehe...you two are just evil and bad!! hehehehe....nice ones!!

I will add that I have deeper eye sockets so I had the same problem on my 40D as I do on my K20D and likely will when I get a K7. So, for me this is nothing specific to the K20D (and surely the K7 as well).

07-29-2009, 01:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I found I had to turn my head to the side more to get the same view. If you try to look straight on there is nose way it'll work. This does smell of a plot to sell screen protectors.
Everyone should have a screen protector on at all times anyway. Not a big deal when they are $1.56 including shipping.
07-29-2009, 08:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So I'm NOT the only one...

This is just bad ergonomics on the part of every camera maker. It should have been addressed long, long ago. The viewfinder on the 645 is marvelous - that's the kind of thing we need. Screen protectors are a band aid for the real problem - they have not accomodated for the human nose, or at least, non-Asian noses. And please don't take offence at that.

Glad I don't have a big nose - don't know how those people cope with this. It must be VERY uncomfortable shooting for any length of time.

No more snot/nose slime on our screens, please. Adjustable eypieces now.

Cheers,
Camero
07-29-2009, 08:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I Better yet, doesn't someone make a black leather head mask thing?...the one with the zipper across the mouth?
Fantastic idea, it would also have the added bonus of making photographers look a lot less suspicious .. especially when walking through a kiddies playground

07-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mock ups...

Here's what we need - just an accessory viewfinder for those who want it:

1) K7 as it is now - where did they THINK we were going to put our noses?

2) K7 with the Cameron Hood custom Nose-Saver Extendo-Finder with patented "Snot-guard" technology © 2009 by Cameron R. Hood

3) Another view of the K7 'nose-cruncher' as it currently exists.

Please Pentax - save our noses!

Cheers,
Cameron
Attached Images

07-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #24
Forum Member

Sweat mixed with sunscreen is the worst! Really a pain to get it off the LCD. I like the extender idea!
07-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #25
Damn Brit

Get a grip (battery that is before anyone accuses me of an insult) and shoot portrait style.
07-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PaddyB Quote
Sweat mixed with sunscreen is the worst! Really a pain to get it off the LCD. I like the extender idea!
Which is why I suffer and deal with the burn at the beach.
07-30-2009, 06:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Get the Z-finder.

Z-Finder - Zacuto
Not for $400!
07-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #28

Anyone know if you can pick up an extended eyepiece that doesn't magnify???
07-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

It looks like it is a mechanical problem. It isn't.

As a matter of fact, all SLR cameras (with the exception of Pentax LX with the sports VF) feature a VERY poor eyepiece (aka ocular).

You may look at what is available, even from Pentax, when following some of jogiba posts over there in the K-7 video quality thread:
Here it is with a 40mm Pentax XW eyepiece for visual use. It's 2350mm F10 and 1480mm F6.3 with Reducer/Corrector f/6.3 .
I think I will try my Celestron 9.25 with F6.3 focal reducer to get 1480mm @F6.3 with my K-7.
Now you get an idea about how much SLR eyepieces really suck. A decent ocular has a so-called "high exit pupil" which doesn't force you to press the eye against the VF at all. And it would allow full 1.53x magnification even at 100% coverage!

We don't get it because we aren't demanding it ...
07-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #30
Veteran Member

An extended eyepiece wouldn't do much for those of us with glasses AND our "family noses" since I would take smears on the screen any day over smears on my glasses.

Why?

The coating on my glasses make them impossible to clean without spray and a certain kind of cleaning cloth. Camera stuff doesn't work...already tried.

The screen protector is tough...I can just use my shirt on it. Also develop a head tilt...it helps a little. My buttons get full of oil but oh well. At least no buttons can be pushed on the K-7...can't count the times I've hit the Menu button with my nose. Plus I hold the camera tight to my nose for some reason...it is what it is...

PS...why is this in the News section?