Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My main K7 complaint...

Fantastic camera. Huge screen is great, and it gets completely covered with nose-slime almost immediately because there is 0 (zero - none - a complete absence thereof) NOSE CLEARANCE between the eypiece and the screen! My nose hurt after a VERY short time, and this is becoming more and more of a problem on digital cameras and I seem to be a voice in the wilderness here. My nose is not particularly big, but I sure feel sorry for those that are, and this is simply a stupid and ignorant oversight on the part of (primarily) Japanese camera makers. It wasn't a big problem in the film days, because we weren't trying to look at our pictures on the back of the camera through a haze of nose-grease, but it sure is now.

We need telescoping, ADJUSTABLE eyepieces to accomodate a wide variety of noses. This is simply dumb, and not especially a Pentax problem, but it is across all camera platforms now. The screens are snot magnets because they are not accomodating the wide size variance of a significant part of human anatomy. They have done a magificent job of ergonomics in every way but this. The older cameras, where the screen did not go right to the edge, were better in this regard, but this camera IS solid screen right to the sharp edge of the camera, with no curve or drop-off, so there is absolutely NO place for your nose to go but squished solidly and most uncomfortably against the viewing screen.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Let's hope Pentax is the first to address this on their next camera.

Beautifully-built camera, and I love the build on the new 18-55 sealed lens. Movie mode was fabulous. Autofocus the best EVER on a Pentax camera, and that was just with a screw-drive lens.

But I had to clean nose-grease off the screen everytime I went to look at anything.

We shouldn't really have to mention this...

Cheers,
Cameron

07-28-2009, 09:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
i nose how you feel....

I asked another photographer if he got a sore nose when shooting and he looked at me as if i were completely mental....Sorry for your discomfort, but glad I am not alone, I no longer have to suffer in silence!

dave
07-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Veteran Member

great. let's also ask Pentax to develop an anti sweat and oil microfibre cloth installed on the backside of the camera or a wiping system. my hands and face become too oily after I shoot in the outdoors and it leaves smudges on the screen.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-28-2009 at 10:45 AM.
07-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
great. let's also ask Pentax to develop an anti sweat and oil microfibre cloth installed on the backsaide of the camera or a wiping system. my hands and face become too oily after I shoot in the outdoors and it leaves smudges on the screen.
Actually, an oleophobic coating like the latest iphones have would be a really nice thing to have.

Cleans up MUCH more easily than a screen without it.

don't know if you need the hard glass screen cover like the phone to do it though.

07-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #5

Hi Cameron,

Entirely agreed with you. It's really dreadful to stick our nose against the screen and leave some oily presence on it... . Maybe Pentax will be the first brand to find any innovation for it : the first anti-oily-and-sweaty-nose system with the duly copyright . Thanks for the idea Pentaxor and raz-o . Why not a magic screen wiper
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Fantastic camera. Huge screen is great, and it gets completely covered with nose-slime almost immediately because there is 0 (zero - none - a complete absence thereof) NOSE CLEARANCE between the eypiece and the screen! My nose hurt after a VERY short time, and this is becoming more and more of a problem on digital cameras and I seem to be a voice in the wilderness here. My nose is not particularly big, but I sure feel sorry for those that are, and this is simply a stupid and ignorant oversight on the part of (primarily) Japanese camera makers. It wasn't a big problem in the film days, because we weren't trying to look at our pictures on the back of the camera through a haze of nose-grease, but it sure is now.

We need telescoping, ADJUSTABLE eyepieces to accomodate a wide variety of noses. This is simply dumb, and not especially a Pentax problem, but it is across all camera platforms now. The screens are snot magnets because they are not accomodating the wide size variance of a significant part of human anatomy. They have done a magificent job of ergonomics in every way but this. The older cameras, where the screen did not go right to the edge, were better in this regard, but this camera IS solid screen right to the sharp edge of the camera, with no curve or drop-off, so there is absolutely NO place for your nose to go but squished solidly and most uncomfortably against the viewing screen.

Dumb, dumb, dumb. Let's hope Pentax is the first to address this on their next camera.

Beautifully-built camera, and I love the build on the new 18-55 sealed lens. Movie mode was fabulous. Autofocus the best EVER on a Pentax camera, and that was just with a screw-drive lens.

But I had to clean nose-grease off the screen everytime I went to look at anything.

Cheers,
Cameron
offtopic:

are you sure that it is nose grease and not anything else?
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

Get the o-me53 or similar product. It doesnt magnify a lot but it does protrude further out so your nose doesnt get in the lcd as much, thats the main reason I liked mine

07-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My nose sometimes touches the right edge of the LCD, but I can easily view through the finder without touching it. I use my left eye.
07-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The increase in viewfinder coverage is great...but I have to get my eye right next to the viewfinder and still need to look up sharply to check the top of the image. No complaints now that I am used to it (and rotate my head to the left a little to get past the nose thing).....but I'd prefer to have 100% coverage at a smaller sized viewfinder image.

If they can model the next camera line to match the viewfinder of the ME Super, that would be perfect!
07-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #10

Is nose surgery an option ? It has been talked about a lot recently.
07-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote

Cheers,
Cameron
I think Pentax should make a bigger magnifier than the current O-ME3. It is really dumb that everytime I want to view pictures i have to wipe the screen b/c of sweat/oil.
07-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I just cover my whole head with saran wrap to avoid the oil.

Don't forget to cut holes to breathe.
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
I just cover my whole head with saran wrap to avoid the oil.

Don't forget to cut holes to breathe.
I like it! Better yet, doesn't someone make a black leather head mask thing?...the one with the zipper across the mouth? Much more environmentally frendly that throwing away all that saran wrap....
07-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
don't assume it is a result of nose size causing the frustration...also the depth of your eye socket will have a very significant effect on how close the rest of your face needs to get to the viewfinder in order to see the status line and image as well.

One way to reduce the visible effect of the nose prints is a simply matte finish screen protector. I like the ones from Boxwave as they leave no residue or harm the LCD, which is quite porous in reality. Insanely expensive at the $8-$10 price for a 3" piece of plastic. But they actually have quite a bit of technology designed into them, still...it's a lot for what it is...

For cleaning the bare LCD use a soft microfiber cloth and something like ROR (Residual Oil Remover) which is made for keeping the oils from soaking into the panel itself.
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #15
Banned

Get the Z-finder.

Z-Finder - Zacuto