Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
Marc is absolutely right. There is no way that the ACTUAL RAW data is affected by in camera sharpness settings.

Augustmoon, I suggest that something strange is going on with LR in that it is applying the in-camera settings to the RAW file, but not changing the numbers to reflect that fact.

A simple way to see what is ACTUALLY happening to the RAW file is to open it up in Pentax Photo Lab and see if the numbers for sharpness reflect what was in-camera and if they can be adjusted.
I never said that the RAW data was or was not being changed, and it doesn't really matter, does it, I mean, if the settings you have selected in camera show up in Lightroom, then that is what is happening, regardless of the endless debate of whether it is or isn't or should or shouldn't, or whether it does or doesn't with a K100D in or if it does within Freeware Converter version 36 or whatever other folks may be using.

This was to assist the OP in knowing or confirming that the settings you have selected in camera will show up in your final image, for whatever reason. Running the PEFs through Pentax Photo Lab or SlinkyPix 5000 or anything else like that or knowing for sure whether or not the actual RAW data is being permanently changed (I doubt it) would therefore be a pointless and useless exercise. As well would be the debate of whether it should or shouldn't or how or why.

07-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
Yes it shows up. This confuses me as this was not the case with my K20D PEF's and previous version of Lightroom
thats strange, so what setting am i missing in LR then? i WANT to see my NR settings reflected in the .PEF in LR, but they're all coming out identical.
07-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Marc, are you shooting K7 PEFS? and importing them into Lightroom 2.4???????????

I tell you what, why don't you shoot some PEF's with a K7 and import them into Lightroom 2.4, then post your observations here!
There is no reason to, because my "observations" are not relevant. I have no doubt you are seeing what you say you are seeing and that I would see the same; I'm merely trying to explain *why* you are seeing it. You seem to be implying the explanation is that the settings affect RAW data; I am simply saying this is not true - the explanation is something else, like the issues I mentioned.
07-29-2009, 11:12 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I never said that the RAW data was or was not being changed, and it doesn't really matter, does it, I mean, if the settings you have selected in camera show up in Lightroom, then that is what is happening, regardless of the endless debate of whether it is or isn't or should or shouldn't, or whether it does or doesn't with a K100D in or if it does within Freeware Converter version 36 or whatever other folks may be using.
Except the question wasn't "will I see the effects using LR 2.4", the question was "are the settings applied to the RAW data", period. The answer to the first question may well be yes, depending on what options you have enabled (I'm guessing there might be an option in LR to get it *not* to look at the EXIF for image settings), but the answer to the second question - the one that was actually - is most definitely no. And that's important, because if the settings were really applied to the RAw data, there would be no way to undo them. The fact that LR is only mimics these settings - or displaying the embedded preview - means we can still alter those settings in PP if we wish - they are not irreversible. And this *is* a crucial point to understand.

07-29-2009, 11:16 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
Thank you much for that clarification. I would like to dabble in astrophotography, and was put off by the concern that NR can't be turned off in bulb. I thought part of the problem was that NR spoils the RAW image, but now I understand that it is only the time the camera takes to subtract the dark frame (which is equal to the exposure).
The NR we are talking about here is something applied algorithmically to high ISO images; it has nothing whatsoever to do with the dark frame subtraction that may also be performed on long exposures.
07-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The NR we are talking about here is something applied algorithmically to high ISO images; it has nothing whatsoever to do with the dark frame subtraction that may also be performed on long exposures.
Bummer. RAW images are modified through dark frame subtraction in camera, then. Oh well-- here's hoping for that next firmware version. Thanks for the clarification.
07-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
thats strange, so what setting am i missing in LR then? i WANT to see my NR settings reflected in the .PEF in LR, but they're all coming out identical.
AugustMoon?