Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K100D focal length report with SR

I heard from somewhere that you can record the focal length of lenses that are A generation or older by setting in SR, but with my K100D I have been unable to do so. Since this is this just hearsay I am curious if I have to upgrade my firmware to get this feature, or if it's above K100D models only, or if it's all just bluff

07-28-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the latest firmware (1.02) in my K100D and it does display the focal lenght in EXIF when I have set it for SR. Btw I'm using Lightroom, there seems to have been some issues with Pentax Photo Browser (mentioned in the FW version history).
07-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've been dreading this day (I'm afraid to fix what's not broken) but oh well, time to upgrade I guess

Is there ANY report of issues after firmware upgrade with K100D? Like the K10D / K20D strobe flash not working after firmware upgrade?
07-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I know for sure that the K100D super has it.
In any case, I'm thinking (guessing) that the K100D firmware update is to make it almost the same as the K100D super?
Good luck, I hope it works!

07-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure if this what you mean, but when using my A70-210 lens in my K100DS the camera asks for focal lenght at startup. I set it to 200. Then the exif always shows 200 focal lenght but of course been a manual zoom it can be anywhere between 70 and 210. Make sure you enable use aperture ring in the menu.

Thanks,
07-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I heard from somewhere that you can record the focal length of lenses that are A generation or older by setting in SR, but with my K100D I have been unable to do so.
Just to be clear, are you saying you've been unable to set the focal length at all, or that even when you set it, it doesn't show in the EXIF? You can only set it when SR is turned on (and it should ask automatically when you turn the camera on if SR is on; otherwise you need to go to the menu). And the focal length only gets recorded to the EXIF if SR is on - you can't set the focal length, then turn off SR, and expect to get the focal length recorded. It's possible the original K100D firmware didn't record the focal length in the EXIF even when SR is turned on, though. Sorry to ask yet another potentially stupid question, but how are you checking to see the focal length? There are at least three different relevant fields, and it's possible the camera is setting one or two or these but not the one you are looking at.
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@ismaelg. Mine doesn't report the focal length at all. The SR works fine, it's just that the focal length isn't reported

@Marc: I have been setting focal length for SR since I got my first non-DA/F lens, but the focal length does not show up in exif even if SR is activated. I check the exif on Lightroom just like ovim and there's no focal length reported. I am guessing that indeed firmware version 1.00 does not record focal length into exif from the SR.

I'm still waiting for possible "I screwed up my K100D because of firmware update" post

07-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm clueless at this point. For what its worth, mine is firmware 1.00

Thanks,
07-29-2009, 11:28 PM   #9
Forum Member

Out of the box my K100D did not record the focal length of older lenses within the exif data. (Although with SR engaged it did ask for focal length confirmation) Upgrading the firmware - the exif data does include the lens focal length as set by me when starting up the camera with an older manual lens attached. No issues with the new firmware plus it enables the use of SDHC cards - I now use a 8GB and this allows RAW shooting with little fear of running out of space.

Cheers...

MZ
08-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just upgraded my firmware out of necessity to use 4gig sandisk ultra IIs. Tammy 28-75 seems fine and... it seems to focus slightly more decisively? Nice surprise

FA 50 is still slow as ever in low light though, too bad. I was hoping this guy gets an upgrade as well...Back to the ZX-L, you!