Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 05:21 AM   #1

Pentax K-7 Shake reduction problem

I am having some problems with the SR function.
It seems that with SR on I am getting very Blurred images, but with it off the image is pretty sharp.
I am using the pentax lenses that came with the kit.
But I also have a Sigma 10-20 ex .....
The camera was working fine initially, then when I put the sigma lens on the camera I noticed the blurred image with SR on. From that point forward the same effect is happening with the Pentax lenses as well.
Is it possible for a lens to affect a camera function in that way?
does anyone think a Firmware update might fix it?

Last edited by raywheeler; 07-29-2009 at 05:58 AM.
07-29-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you tell us more about what is happening? Are you taking pictures at identical exposure settings, or is the camera setting them automatically? Are you using a tripod? Can you post a picture that is blurred by shake reduction?

I hope we can help.
07-29-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raywheeler Quote
I am having some problems with the SR function.
It seems that with SR on I am getting very Blurred images, but with it off the image is pretty sharp.
I am using the pentax lenses that came with the kit.
But I also have a Sigma 10-20 ex .....
The camera was working fine initially, then when I put the sigma lens on the camera I noticed the blurred image with SR on. From that point forward the same effect is happening with the Pentax lenses as well.
Is it possible for a lens to affect a camera function in that way?
does anyone think a Firmware update might fix it?
do you wait for the hand symbol to appear before taking photos?
07-29-2009, 07:27 AM   #4

Original Poster
If you look on FLICKR RJW53 I have put 2 sets of pictures on there. I am at work at the moment, so unable to post pictures here.

The first set (looking out of the back door) were taken with the same settings and the sharper one was taken using Live view. The second set of images were taken using the same settings one with SR on and the other with SR Off, again the sharper one is the one with SR off.

They were all taken hand held.

07-29-2009, 07:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
I did wait for the little hand to appear, as you will see in the Exif data if you look at the pics on FLICKR
07-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very strange... I'm not sure if it will help but have you tried setting your camera to factory settings? I have seen strange things with different electronics where one bit space it off causing all kinds of problems. Did you start seeing these issues after making custom changes?
07-29-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Looking on GX10 service manual and software I cn say that SR have bunch of sensitive parameters, may be some just become wrong. Try to recheck all again and contact service center in case of problem.
Check focal length in EXIF, as communication contact can be source of the problem.

07-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well, there's a firmware update out today. I'd try that first. It doesn't mention anything specific about fixing an SR bug, but companies often hide fixes inside updates.

Otherwise, take it back and get another one. The SR is defective on that unit. I had that happen too. Took it back to the store, showed them the problem and got a replacement.

Good luck! And let us know if the firmware update works!

Great shots by the way (not the test ones--your other ones!)
07-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you using a tripod?
07-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
Shots were all taken hand held.
Thanks for the comments about my shots Farfisa, I am looking forward to posting some even better ones whan the K-7 starts behaving.

I have tried reseting the camera to factory settings, that was the first thing I tried when it went all blurred. :-(
07-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raywheeler Quote
Shots were all taken hand held.
Thanks for the comments about my shots Farfisa, I am looking forward to posting some even better ones whan the K-7 starts behaving.
I have tried reseting the camera to factory settings, that was the first thing I tried when it went all blurred. :-(
Took a look at two shots and at the exif. Yes, the SR is acting mad. BTW, in the SR-off shot you look to be steady!
How do you say... You've got a lemon, perhaps?
07-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #12

Original Poster
Ok I have installed the V1.01 of the Firmware and it's still doing the same.
see pics.

Thanks for the lemon comment allessandro
Attached Images

07-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just to be certain, SR was working correctly prior to seeing this issue right? It almost looks as if the SR mechanism is thinking the focal length of the lens is much greater that what is being reported.
07-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shutter speed for the 2 images?
07-29-2009, 02:23 PM   #15

Original Poster
Both shots were at 1/15th sec.