Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 06:44 AM   #1

Dropped K10D - any self help available?

I've joined the ranks of Pentaxians who dropped their K10D to get the "bad memory card" error. Previous threads have reported this is due to main circuit board damage. Official Pentax repair may be uneconomic and I wonder if any nimble-fingered owners have investigated and/or repaired the damage themselves?

The shock mine received wasn't really that bad, so I find it hard to believe the damage can be really serious - maybe a dislodged connector or cracked circuit board conductor. The body (my second) has only 500+ clicks and I don't want to deep six it without at least trying to revive it.

If it's really dead, I'll replace it with a K20D. Sympathetic Pentaxians ready to upgrade to a K-7 please note!

Thanks

Mike

07-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
There were some pictures a while ago from someone who had this problem. . . it looked like the connector peeled the pads off the PCB. I would think that a decent tech with access to a microscope and fine pitch rework tools could fix it without too much difficulty, if that were the problem.

If you have to pay anyone though, it migh be become uneconomic, as you put it. ;-)
07-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Most good shops, or Pentax themselves will charge $25 to diagnose the problem, it may be worth it to at least find out exactly what's wrong, then you can explore repair or replacement options. Until you know the cost of repair vs. the cost of a new camera it will be a harder decision to make.
07-29-2009, 08:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I'm sure you're right about the connector/pcb damage - I seem to remember reading a previous thread quite some time ago on this problem.

Unfortunately, I grew up in the era of vacuum tubes when you could see circuit components without the need for optical aids. I am also descended from a family of blacksmiths and am better equipped physically for holding hammers and pounding metal then doing brain surgery on a camera!

It sounds like there'll be a K20D in my future.

Mike

07-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Pentax USA has been charging over $300 for this repair - the camera needs completely dismantling and replacement of the main circuit board. A $625 K20D with three-year warranty sounds like a better deal at the moment.

Mike