Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #61
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I always find it funny that it seems that some who rail about exposure problems and AF issues are also the ones that claim to have a substantial "investment" in (older) Pentax glass.
Obviously I'm no expert here as I don't post in discussion threads that often, but it's always been my ipression that the exact opposite held true!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #62

I joined this forum about 1 year ago ---- and in this time period of reading this forum and RiceHigh's blog ----I have come to the conclusion that RiceHigh needs to be nominated for "Drama Queen of Pentax Land". I mean come on his latest dribble on his blog today making fun of this site is classical in the sense of someone with way too much time on his hands.

lets hear it --- my vote is for the Rice man -- Drama Queen of Pentax Land

kman
07-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Obviously I'm no expert here as I don't post in discussion threads that often, but it's always been my ipression that the exact opposite held true!
You responded to a one-post-wonder who did exactly that (talked about his lens investment while moaning about AF/metering performance)
07-29-2009, 04:00 PM   #64

When you spend so much time discussing an ignorant fool, you only bring yourself down to his level. Rice High is an ignorant fool and that's the end of it for me.

cj

07-29-2009, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #65
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Whoever RH is, he's certainly got everyone ranting page after page about him.

As far as what Lapathro said in his huge post, about the K20's metering, I have to concur. I the biggest problem I have with my K20. The PZ-1P came out in the early 90's, a good 14 years prior to the K20 and it's meter runs circles around it. I can't fathom why a 2008 camera has such a poor metering system. I've used different lenses, shot in good light and bad light, and if I take 10 photos, I swear 4 of them aren't exposed correctly. Trust me, it's not the user as I can meter with any basic SLR on the planet on small latitude slide film and come up with 10 out of 10 perfectly exposed shots.

I just don't get it. In fact, if I end up selling my K20 and moving on to another digital system, it will 100% be because of it's metering. The Pentax glass I love, the construction and look of the bodies are always great, but the metering is a problem. I also just can't justify paying for the K-7 just for the better meter and a few other perks. I'd rather put the money toward a Canon FF or a Sony A900. Let's hope the rest of my experience with the K20D goes smoother with the metering, or my Pentax DSLR experience may come to a quick halt. I'll always keep my film SLR's and lenses though.

As far as the always lesser AF system on Pentax than the other brands, I never cared about that, as I don't shoot sports and I usually always manual focus anyway.
07-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #66
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
I mean come on his latest dribble on his blog today making fun of this site is classical in the sense of someone with way too much time on his hands.

lets hear it --- my vote is for the Rice man -- Drama Queen of Pentax Land

kman
I think he's probably doing a great job of recruiting for PF. People will see what he has written, come here out of curiosity and see the reality. Some of them may stay and join the forum.

Thanks RH, it's real big of you to do that.
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Whoever RH is, he's certainly got everyone ranting page after page about him.

As far as what Lapathro said in his huge post, about the K20's metering, I have to concur. I the biggest problem I have with my K20. The PZ-1P came out in the early 90's, a good 14 years prior to the K20 and it's meter runs circles around it. I can't fathom why a 2008 camera has such a poor metering system. I've used different lenses, shot in good light and bad light, and if I take 10 photos, I swear 4 of them aren't exposed correctly. Trust me, it's not the user as I can meter with any basic SLR on the planet on small latitude slide film and come up with 10 out of 10 perfectly exposed shots.

I just don't get it. In fact, if I end up selling my K20 and moving on to another digital system, it will 100% be because of it's metering. The Pentax glass I love, the construction and look of the bodies are always great, but the metering is a problem. I also just can't justify paying for the K-7 just for the better meter and a few other perks. I'd rather put the money toward a Canon FF or a Sony A900. Let's hope the rest of my experience with the K20D goes smoother with the metering, or my Pentax DSLR experience may come to a quick halt. I'll always keep my film SLR's and lenses though.

As far as the always lesser AF system on Pentax than the other brands, I never cared about that, as I don't shoot sports and I usually always manual focus anyway.
did you shoot slides, or negatives?

particulary with negatives, you could really screw up on your metering and still get a good shot. I spent half a roll couple of weeks ago at +1EV by accident, didnt even notice it when i was scanning my stuff. On digital this error would have quickly presented itself.

07-29-2009, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #68
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
did you shoot slides, or negatives?

particulary with negatives, you could really screw up on your metering and still get a good shot.
I shot both, but lots and lots of slides. I am someone who always liked to meter off a lighted area in a scene before taking my shot (and then setting exposure manually), but with the PZ-1P, I got more comfortable with it's mult segment metering, because even with slides in backlit situations, it more often than none always nailed the metering. If I use something else other than the PZ-1P, I do above as I mention, so any basic functioning SLR meter is going to get me a fine tuned exposure.

I've tried a few things with my K20, but I am starting to wonder if it could be the AWB throwing things off? I can't figure out why that would be, as I took a shot of someone sitting in a chair in complete, even sunlight, no backlighting, and no shadows, just even light, and it was underexposed. Would the AWB mess even a brightly lit sun exposure up?
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #69
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I've tried a few things with my K20, but I am starting to wonder if it could be the AWB throwing things off? I can't figure out why that would be, as I took a shot of someone sitting in a chair in complete, even sunlight, no backlighting, and no shadows, just even light, and it was underexposed. Would the AWB mess even a brightly lit sun exposure up?
Have you tried blocking the VF when metering? There have been discussions in the past about light entering through the VF and messing with exposure.
07-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #70
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Have you tried blocking the VF when metering? There have been discussions in the past about light entering through the VF and messing with exposure.
I have always had my eye there and haven't done any tripod stuff with it yet, so I don't think it's that.

I don't own any DA lenses, so everything I use was designed for film. I hope it's not that! I don't want to buy any digital only lenses!!
07-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just came upon this remarkable thread - are people still talking about RH? Why don't we go shoot some pictures, drink some beer, go sailing, drive with reckless abandon, watch some stupid doctor show on TV, listen to some music, watch the news . . . . . . . . and get on with our lives?

Jer
07-29-2009, 04:55 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
and get on with our lives?

Jer
Sure, easy for you to say. You probably have a life

I do try and rent one every once in awhile though

I looked into renting some dates as well but that didn't go so well

I need to stay away from 42nd street...
07-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #73

I just came upon this remarkable thread - are people still talking about RH? Why don't we go shoot some pictures, drink some beer, go sailing, drive with reckless abandon, watch some stupid doctor show on TV, listen to some music, watch the news . . . . . . . . and get on with our lives?

Jer
great idea -- i just finished mowing the yard ---- BEER me !!!

kman
07-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Sure, easy for you to say. You probably have a life

I do try and rent one every once in awhile though

I looked into renting some dates as well but that didn't go so well

I need to stay away from 42nd street...
Wonderful reply - but I'm too old to help, particularly on 42nd street. BTW, thanks for your lucid comparisons (on other threads) of the the K20D and K-7.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
great idea -- i just finished mowing the yard ---- BEER me !!!

Whatdaya need; let's go to my boat; the frig is always full!

Jer

kman
07-29-2009, 05:13 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Wonderful reply - but I'm too old to help, particularly on 42nd street. BTW, thanks for your lucid comparisons (on other threads) of the the K20D and K-7.

Jer
Lucid? You definitely haven't been talking with my ex-wives.

You'll appreciate that I used to be a chemist though, hence the clear, rational thinking. Or maybe too much Et2O.
Closed Thread