Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Oh WOW!, nice move, I would never ever expect censorship from Pentaxians, by removing links etc. Besides I did a search and I can't find any RxxxHxxx from the posts.

So I guess I have to damn Rxxxhxxx blog, and Heil the K-7.
With all due respect (if that), its a VERY embarrassing fact among some (or many) Pentaxians support censorship, or any dissenting view, or anything that is negative about a Pentax product. The negativity against Ricehigh is, in fact, the perfect evidence! It's bloody annoying and I have never seen anything like this EVER among any other special interest group.

Ricehigh, on the contrary, has a fascinating blog filled with interesting articles. He often is among the first bloggers in breaking news to the rest of us. Sure some postings may be lifted from other sources but don't most do that? And like anyone, he sometimes gets it wrong, and he can be passionately opinionated. However, more often, he cites personal experience, and talks about facts.

In my opinion, the 'hatred' towards RH in this forum is partly due to peer pressure, and mostly because RH writes about topics that Pentaxians don't want to read.

I am ready to be drawn and quartered now!

Last edited by pentaxmz; 07-29-2009 at 09:15 PM.
07-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Oh WOW!, nice move, I would never ever expect censorship from Pentaxians, by removing links etc. Besides I did a search and I can't find any RxxxHxxx from the posts.

So I guess I have to damn Rxxxhxxx blog, and Heil the K-7.
Really?

So now, not only is RH ignorant but now cbayton is ignorant for not realizing that RH is no longer here.

Perhaps RH is just too busy with his own blog?

Amazing, that some of you folks don't realize how ridiculous this dialogue appears.

Can we all just try to get along? We are all photography enthusiast, can we try to focus more on our hobby and/or profession?
07-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
You stumbled into this blindly, but there is a history here, sort of like if someone were drawing random geometric shapes on a napkin in a kosher deli and ended up with a stylized swastika. The K-7 is fair game for criticism of any kind, but that one particular critic doesn't have any credibility on these forums. If you read some of the comment threads on his blog, you'll get a taste for why. I hope you can believe me when I say that these reactions to your post have some justification--whether fair or not, I don't know, but the animosity was certainly not directed at you.

Perhaps we can re-start this thread with a topic that refers to the Imaging Resource site?
Wrong, wrong! There is absolutely no justification for how this thread started out.

Holy crap, are you people for real? I swear if you all knew where RH lived, you'd have a lynching party!

This is nuts! Let's settle down now!

Out of pure curiousity, just give me one or two examples of those apparently totally offensive RH postings. I looked and found none!
07-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
you forgot the part about thinking that the universe was ricehigh-centric.

I have not been a member here for long but my short experience with him wasnt pleasant. it became clear very shortly that the only reason he was on this site was to promote his own site. at first i felt bad for him because everyone always pounced on him, but once you start to see his intentions/motives you realize why.
So that is when you decided it was fashionable to join in on the lynching?

i specifically remember one post about a rumored k-7 feature that was only on the camera because he specifically had asked pentax to do it....
Get me the link... it ain't true unless you can prove it.

sorry i didnt want to turn this into an RH bashing thread
Really? I can smell irony.

07-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd just like to chime in and thank Rice for his wonderful blog post a few minutes ago complaining about this very deletion.

That's what I get for being nice and not banning his IP, even after being asked by many to do so! I appreciate it, Rice!
Adam I certainly appreciate your 'niceness', especially in light of the angry mob asking for RH's head.

I saw RH's complaint but I really don't completely understand what that is all about, except to say that he is reacting to the angry mob. I wonder how you or I would feel (and write in our own blog) if you or I found out that you had an angry mob on your tail?
07-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Adam I certainly appreciate your 'niceness', especially in light of the angry mob asking for RH's head.

I saw RH's complaint but I really don't completely understand what that is all about, except to say that he is reacting to the angry mob. I wonder how you or I would feel (and write in our own blog) if you or I found out that you had an angry mob on your tail?
There is something called multi quote lol.
07-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I dispatched a PM to the OP filling him in on the situation. But to echo what Gary said, we were more than generous with Rice. His ban has in fact expired and he can freely access the site at the moment, although he doesn't deserve it.
This thread started turning very sour when the OP was accused of being ignorant about current events. Perhaps the term ignorant is technically correct but it was meant in a derogatory way and that was uncalled for.

I must be just as 'ignorant' as the OP because I certainly have never seen a single posting by RH that would warrant such animosity (even with RH's combined messaged).

Seriously Adam... I appreciate your diplomacy and 'cooler head'.

07-29-2009, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #83
Forum Member

I must be just as 'ignorant' as the OP because I certainly have never seen a single posting by RH that would warrant such animosity (even with RH's combined messaged).
Just to fill you in pentaxmz, the reason that many people don't like RH are the following:

1. Using this and other forums for shameless promotion of his blog.

2. Post fake-controversy and just plain false posts to once again drive traffic away from the forums and to his blog (his promotion of the fake lens roadmap is a good example of this.) We're not idiots, and we see right through this troll-like behavior.

3. His poor testing methodology.

4. His drama-queen personality that assumes that everything is about him and that we care. Newsflash: we don't.

The internet is full of people on the endless self-promotion treadmill, and many readers find such behavior tiresome. You may disagree, and that is your right and opinion, but just be aware that most people are basing their opinion on RH on the above examples, and finding on the whole that he's more trouble than he's worth.
07-29-2009, 10:20 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
What are you talking about? Go to the "comparometer" and take a look at the K-7 "New Indoor" even at high ISO like 3200. The K-7 is competitive with some of the FF cameras there. Compare it with the 50D. The K-7 blows it away.
Comparometer can be very misleading because you are not comparing equal lenses, focal lengths, camera settings, etc.

Come on, you're supposed to know better than this but I can see one's objectivity goes out the window, after spending more than what it would have cost to buy a D50.

To illustrate, look at my attachment (or go to comparometer if you think I have unfairly tweaked this 100% crop). This example clearly makes the Canon D50 look better than the K7.

Am I claiming that the D50 takes better photos than the K7, absolutely not... nor am I going to state the opposite. I am just pointing out one example where it appears that one camera is better than another. It means nothing because you can take another 100% crop to 'prove' the opposite.

Quite frankly, I don't really give a flying super hoot. With enough camera tweaking (on both sides), either camera is comparatively good under most circumstances.

The D50 is only superior in low-light, long exposure photography. But this is not what we are discussing.
Attached Images

07-29-2009, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

Comparometer can be very misleading because you are not comparing equal lenses, focal lengths, camera settings, etc.

Come on, you're supposed to know better than this but I can see one's objectivity goes out the window, after spending more than what it would have cost to buy a D50.

To illustrate, look at my attachment (or go to comparometer if you think I have unfairly tweaked this 100% crop). This example clearly makes the Canon D50 look better than the K7.

Am I claiming that the D50 takes better photos than the K7, absolutely not... nor am I going to state the opposite. I am just pointing out one example where it appears that one camera is better than another. It means nothing because you can take another 100% crop to 'prove' the opposite.

Quite frankly, I don't really give a flying super hoot. With enough camera tweaking (on both sides), either camera is comparatively good under most circumstances.

The D50 is only superior in low-light, long exposure photography. But this is not what we are discussing.
Are you and I looking at the same images? How can you say the 50D looks better? Do you see those little "holes" in the fabric of the undershirt? Where are they in the D50 image? You chose these crops to show how the D50 can look better than the K-7? Thank you for posting images that clearly make my point. I couldn't have chosen a better example photo myself. And the fact that you posted these photos to argue against my post makes them all the sweeter. I hope you don't remove them.

Please don't lecture me on what "I should know." I know what I see, and what I see is that there is no justification for the K-7 noise hysteria.

Last edited by PentaxPoke; 07-29-2009 at 10:44 PM.
07-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
Just to fill you in pentaxmz, the reason that many people don't like RH are the following:

1. Using this and other forums for shameless promotion of his blog.

2. Post fake-controversy and just plain false posts to once again drive traffic away from the forums and to his blog (his promotion of the fake lens roadmap is a good example of this.) We're not idiots, and we see right through this troll-like behavior.

3. His poor testing methodology.

4. His drama-queen personality that assumes that everything is about him and that we care. Newsflash: we don't.

The internet is full of people on the endless self-promotion treadmill, and many readers find such behavior tiresome. You may disagree, and that is your right and opinion, but just be aware that most people are basing their opinion on RH on the above examples, and finding on the whole that he's more trouble than he's worth.
But you are just posting, what appears to be opinions (and none too original), rather than examples (aka proof). I dislike rhetoric coming from the government and it is just as unpalatable in this forum.

And when you say "we" you cannot presume to speak for everyone.

Enough of this nonsense. If you don't like RH, you have the power to ignore but you don't have the right to persuade everyone to join your mob.
07-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Are you and I looking at the same images? How can you say the 50D looks better? Do you see those little "holes" in the fabric of the undershirt? Where are they in the D50? Thank you for posting images that clearly make my point. I couldn't have chosen a better example photo myself. And the fact that you posted these photos to argue against my post makes them all the sweeter.

Please don't lecture me on what "I should know." I know what I see, and what I see is that there is no justification for the K-07 noise hysteria.
And if you look carefully at the broach, IMHO, the diamonds seem more well defined in the D50 image. The fabric 'holes' are washed out b/c this part is out of the narrow focus range AND the fact that the K7 is taken at a greater magnification. Again, you are not comparing equal lenses, f-stops, magnifications, settings, etc. Heck, you are not even seeing the same scene setup! Look at the difference in the twist of the chain and the angle of the image!

Think about this critically... if the photo seems fairly equal (enough), why would another area be completely washed out (in comparison to the other photo). This is just silly, in fact, I thought that was so obvious, I didn't need to point out the exception in the fabric detail.

Last edited by pentaxmz; 07-29-2009 at 10:50 PM.
07-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #88
Veteran Member

And if you look carefully at the broach, IMHO, the diamonds seem more well defined in the D50 image. The fabric 'holes' are washed out b/c this part is out of the narrow focus range. Again, you are not comparing equal lenses, f-stops, settings, etc.

Think about this critically... if the photo seems fairly equal (enough), why would another area be completely washed out (in comparison to the other photo). This is just silly, in fact, I thought that was so obvious, I didn't need to point out the exception in the fabric detail.
Yeah, focus range...

Check and mate.
07-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #89
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am looking at those pictures:

-First one is my favorite photo, you can check resolution, saturation, contrast and DR with eye. (As I stated in the first posting 100 ASA stills)

-Second one is cropped K7 from this picture

-Last one is 15MP Canon 500D or Kiss X3.

Resolution test with eye, a brush in front of a scale. Others aside I also love salt shaker for checking DR at the white side.

How do you write legends to pictures and line them up, I don't know yet.

BTW Which one looks better to you?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS Kiss X3  Photo 
07-29-2009, 10:58 PM   #90
Veteran Member

I am looking at those pictures:

-First one is my favorite photo, you can check resolution, saturation, contrast and DR with eye. (As I stated in the first posting 100 ASA stills)

-Second one is cropped K7 from this picture

-Last one is 15MP Canon 500D or Kiss X3.

Resolution test with eye, a brush in front of a scale. Others aside I also love salt shaker for checking DR at the white side.

How do you write legends to pictures and line them up, I don't know yet.

BTW Which one looks better to you?
The last crop of course. What I'd like to know is:

lens used and aperture/shutter settings
raw or jpg. If raw, what converter. If jpg, what settings.
Did they do multiple shots and take the best (especially wrt focus).

There are so many variables involved, to offer up a single data point and then draw a conclusion is sketchy at best, ridiculous and useless at worst.

If someone wants to get a feel for what a camera can do, look at real photos that have been made with them. The reality is that ANY modern dSLR can make awesome photos. It is the operator that makes or breaks it. Some are more idiot proof than others (eg Canikon AF vs Pentax AF). But good glass on any comparable current dSLR will give you very similar images if you know what you're doing.

It comes down to features and ergonomic preferences. The "resolution" question is such a non-issue in real-world use.
Closed Thread