Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
And if you look carefully at the broach, IMHO, the diamonds seem more well defined in the D50 image. The fabric 'holes' are washed out b/c this part is out of the narrow focus range AND the fact that the K7 is taken at a greater magnification. Again, you are not comparing equal lenses, f-stops, magnifications, settings, etc. Heck, you are not even seeing the same scene setup! Look at the difference in the twist of the chain and the angle of the image!

Think about this critically... if the photo seems fairly equal (enough), why would another area be completely washed out (in comparison to the other photo). This is just silly, in fact, I thought that was so obvious, I didn't need to point out the exception in the fabric detail.

They are not equal. The K-7 shot has significantly more resolution. What you point out is just differences in sharpening in post processing.

A British Magazine came to the same conclusion:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=32539299

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-30-2009 at 02:22 PM.
07-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lapratho Quote
The above is not exactly an intelligent reply...

-snip-

I never wine...
hmm. What's wrong with this picture?
07-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #108
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Interesting that you bring up the great PZ-1P. I had this (picked up in London) and the even better MZ-S. My MZ-S's AF is faster and more accurate than my K20D. I've said this before and was almost whacked for that. But I only asked because I was curious as to how/why Pentax hadn't improved AF after 10 years in the business! I'd be fired if I hadn't improved in 10 years!
Because it is balooney. I have the MZ-S and the K10D and the K10D has better AF performance. If your K20D doesn't, there something wrong with it or its user.
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
hmm. What's wrong with this picture?
it lacks boobies

07-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
it lacks boobies
Winner! We have a winner!!!

Bob, tell him what's he's won.

Well Gooshin, for saying the secret word you win this..........NEW CAR!!!

07-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
I am looking at those pictures:

-First one is my favorite photo, you can check resolution, saturation, contrast and DR with eye. (As I stated in the first posting 100 ASA stills)
Be careful.

These images are meant to provide ISO noise comparison. They are not (always) checked for accurate focus.

E.g., after a similiar test done by ephotozine (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/62447-ephotozine-k-7-review.html), the author (MattGrayson) was kind enough to stop by here and explain it to us. Fair enough.

I don't know how well focus is checked for images you find on the Imaging Resources website.

Maybe, do not judge resolution from a test not meant to measure resolution. Just noise. And only if enough detail is visible to detect the removal of texture.

Anyway, at ISO100, resolution is only defined by #pixels, the lens, proper focus and the raw converter (be it in camera or external, incl. sharpening appropriate for the camera's AA filter). At the end of the day, if everything is done correctly, resolution from all Bayer cameras (with a given #pixels) are all equal.

Last edited by falconeye; 08-03-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: I confused ephotozine with imaging resource :(
07-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #112
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Are you and I looking at the same images? How can you say the 50D looks better? Do you see those little "holes" in the fabric of the undershirt? Where are they in the D50 image? You chose these crops to show how the D50 can look better than the K-7?...................
+1, me too, and, just to make sure I have 10 characters - ditto.

07-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Another fine RH thread! Good that we have the logical people in here, keeping the order (Gooshin, nostatic, Pal, Falk, etc) and that is not sarcastic...it's true.

I never wine - I snarl, and when that gets ignored, I can react quite extremely and actually hurt somebody
I LOL'd. Please don't hurt my e-feelings
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
They are not equal. The K-7 shot has significantly more resolution. What you point out is just differences in sharpening in post processing.

A British Magazine came to the same conclusion:

K7 beats 50D....easily: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Agreed. With a little more sharpening (better focus?) on the K-7 necklace shot, it would be superior without a doubt. Well assuming the test conditions and settings and all were equal...

it lacks boobies
07-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #114
Veteran Member

you HAVE to see this...

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Oh WOW!, nice move, I would never ever expect censorship from Pentaxians, by removing links etc. Besides I did a search and I can't find any RxxxHxxx from the posts.

So I guess I have to damn Rxxxhxxx blog, and Heil the K-7.
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog
Owing to the stupid and silly frequent and repeated Blog attacks and spamming recently, the comment moderation is enforced in the meantime. If you have a comment to leave, please feel free to continue to do so and your post will appear after checking has been made. Different opinions really doesn't matter as long as no foul language is used and any personal attack and uncivilised behaviour are strictly prohibited.

I hereby apologise for all the inconvenience caused to all of you who really want to post on-topically. Thank you for your pardon and patience and I hope all of you whom are affected can understand.

Maybe you can start to understand the hypocritical and biased nature of our "little buddy".. no offense intended to Gilligan..
Oh and this:
A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation
and this;
A letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
And this.......
For the days Pentax didn't listen to me and reacted and rectify their problems, their sales had been declining from year to year! Now, I guess they have done something right and I bet the sales will go up again!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60913-k-7-image-samples-japan-3.html
07-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #115
Veteran Member

hey jeff! Havent seen you post much lately.
07-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #116
Veteran Member

hey jeff! Havent seen you post much lately.
I've been preoccupied w/ home junk. Pentax and photography has taken a far back seat unfortunately... should change in the fall though, hopefully...
BUT couldn't resist this RH thread... especially now that he's censoring his blog... sort of ironic...
Thanks for noticing ..............
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #117

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
RiceHigh's Pentax Blog
Owing to the stupid and silly frequent and repeated Blog attacks and spamming recently, the comment moderation is enforced in the meantime. If you have a comment to leave, please feel free to continue to do so and your post will appear after checking has been made. Different opinions really doesn't matter as long as no foul language is used and any personal attack and uncivilised behaviour are strictly prohibited.

I hereby apologise for all the inconvenience caused to all of you who really want to post on-topically. Thank you for your pardon and patience and I hope all of you whom are affected can understand.

Maybe you can start to understand the hypocritical and biased nature of our "little buddy".. no offense intended to Gilligan..
Oh and this:
A Letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation
and this;
A letter to the CEO of Pentax Corporation: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
And this.......
For the days Pentax didn't listen to me and reacted and rectify their problems, their sales had been declining from year to year! Now, I guess they have done something right and I bet the sales will go up again!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60913-k-7-image-samples-japan-3.html
wow -- after reading his "letter" why on earth would he continue to purchase Pentax products ? -- I mean if he has had this much trouble with pentax, he needs to move on to something else and be done with it. kind of like myself with Sony stuff, it always breaks.

kman
07-30-2009, 07:49 PM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of my glass is Sigma and Tamron, not Pentax, and the off brand glass is quite nice compared to similar Pentax gear and does expose better on a Pentax body than Pentax lenses - what an irony and what a poor grade for the Pentax light metering system

I don't shoot for living, and if I did - I would have had to cut my losses for the business already to survive and likely gone Nikon.

Owen
Frankly, I'm always amazed that people bother with Pentax at all if they aren't going to use Pentax glass.
There isn't much reason to use the brand if you are using third party glass. The competitors bodies do seem to be better.
But it not my place to judge, I suppose. We get to waste our money as we see fit.

FWIW, I have over 2000 exposures on my K7 with no imaging issues at all. No green lines, no purple splots, no problems at all. I read the bitching and whining threads and wonder what the hell you people are on about. If your camera doesn't work, get it exchanged for one that does work.
This isn't rocket science.
07-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Frankly, I'm always amazed that people bother with Pentax at all if they aren't going to use Pentax glass.
What he said.

To me there are two reasons to buy Pentax:

- weather resistant and relatively compact at a reasonable price point

- ltd prime lenses

If you want a "typical" dSLR and zoom kit lens and don't care about primes, I see little advantage to Pentax.

I do not see equivalents to the 15/21/40/70 ltd lineup with Canikon. They just don't exist. There are somewhat equivalents to the FA ltd but one could argue that the Pentax FA ltds are as good as any equivalent Canikon glass (and you might have to buy a discontinued lens in Canikon to get "equivalent." In addition weather sealed high quality zooms are cheaper for Pentax (and you don't need in-lens VR/IS).

But if none of that is important to you, there really is no pull.
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
There isn't much reason to use the brand if you are using third party glass. The competitors bodies do seem to be better.
But it not my place to judge, I suppose. We get to waste our money as we see fit.

FWIW, I have over 2000 exposures on my K7 with no imaging issues at all. No green lines, no purple splots, no problems at all. I read the bitching and whining threads and wonder what the hell you people are on about. If your camera doesn't work, get it exchanged for one that does work.
This isn't rocket science.
Hi Wheatfield.

What is your favorate Pentax lens?
Closed Thread