Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I know, the place's just going to hell in a hand basket ain't it?

I mean, it's all about the gear, not PHOTOS... eesh.
Well, one would think the purpose of a brand-centric photo forum was to discuss photos in relationship to that brand, rather than other brands. Of course, most forums I've visited (mostly just to check, here recently) have a lot less cross-brand chatter than PentaxForums does. While it happens, it's very rare (from my impromptu search and survey over three canon-centric forums) for, say, a Nikon user to show up and start badgering the Canon guys, or for purportedly Canon guys to suddenly start posting unflattering comparisons with Pentax cameras. Probably comes from being the underdog.

But most of the people I see posting have at least some Pentax gear. I've noticed the "Spotmatic + 55/1.8" in your sig, pingflood, and there's another sig I remember seeing that's primarily Canon, but lists a couple of m42 lenses. *shrug*. Perfectly reasonable for such to join a Pentax forum. And I can imagine former Pentax owners retaining membership because of the informal relationships one can build online.

Forums are by nature open systems, so I wouldn't say owning Pentax gear would be a requirement; One just wonders what is the motivation in joining a brand-centric forum if one doesn't own or intend to own that brand.

07-31-2009, 09:35 AM   #137
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
it still amazes me that there are those who have and currently post on pf..... who don't own/use pentax equipment !!)(&)(??????
perhaps our forum offers so much more than what these non-pentaxians can find on their own respective websites..... ahhhhh... i find a great deal of satisfaction in that.........
Well there's lots useful information flowing around here! For example Benjikan's guides lately revealed some tips how the pros do their magic aside their obvious skills. Very interesting pieces to read.
07-31-2009, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #138
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Agree. Not buying Pentax lenses is false economy. The good Pentax glass is something you can use forever and they also keep their value. Old third party glass is cheap; some Pentax lenses increase in price on the use market to far more than they costed when new....
Me thinks buying DA lenses is also a false economy, unless you somehow plan to insist for APS-C format in the distant future.......... <-suspicious guy
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM   #139
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Frankly, I'm always amazed that people bother with Pentax at all if they aren't going to use Pentax glass.
One reason : you can use M42 glass without a hitch. I dunno wihich mount also you can use manually like EOS or Nikkor or Leica M-R, or Oly glass with KAF2 mount.

07-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
One reason : you can use M42 glass without a hitch. I dunno wihich mount also you can use manually like EOS or Nikkor or Leica M-R, or Oly glass with KAF2 mount.
What do you mean "without a hitch"? M42 glass works just the same on my Canon gear -- stop down metering in Av mode, or manual.
07-31-2009, 11:41 AM   #141
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
In my opinion, the 'hatred' towards RH in this forum is partly due to peer pressure, and mostly because RH writes about topics that Pentaxians don't want to read.
I don't hate RH...heck I don't even know him. But when someone uses poor science to "prove" how bad anything is (car, stereo, camera or whatever), I call their objectivity into question. One specific instance was a comparison between one of the C*non DSLRs and the K20. The C*non was shot in optimum light and with all things (ISO, Shutter, Aperture) being equal, the Pentax was shot later in less than optimum light. To RH's mind, this proved C*non was better than Pentax. That's like saying a Kia didn't skid on a sharp curve when the road was dry but since the Mercedes skidded in the same curve on a wet road, the Kia is a better car. Yeah, right.

When RH becomes objective in his blog, he will then be worth my notice. Until then, I will continue to think he's a paid shill for some corporate entity.

CW
07-31-2009, 11:48 AM   #142
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
What do you mean "without a hitch"? M42 glass works just the same on my Canon gear -- stop down metering in Av mode, or manual.
I am converted from Canon I know them. I meant without a problem, and I was answering why in the world one won't uses Pentax lenses with Pentax body.

07-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Me thinks buying DA lenses is also a false economy, unless you somehow plan to insist for APS-C format in the distant future.......... <-suspicious guy
I don't plan to *insist* for APS/C format. That's what I've got, and I suspect that we won't see a FF from Pentax at all. And I think that's wise. But that's a completely different rant.
07-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #144
Veteran Member

APC format has existed for ages in the form of half-frame cameras...
07-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Not if you use them.. these are toys, not investment properties... though some "old glass" had as much of a rate of return as that...
07-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #146
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Rice High is a nut.
Obsessive Compulsive Anti-Pentax disorder (OCaP)
07-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The author from Imaging Resource was kind enough to stop by here and explain it to us.
Where? What's the user name? I'd be interested to read the postings. I really like the K100D review by Imaging Resource, written by a photographer for photographers.
07-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'm not Wheatfield but I'll say the FA* 200/4 Macro keep on astounding me. I'm sure images shot with this lens on the K-7 can be printed at sizes of 2 metres at the long end
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Of the 50 or so I have, it's generally the one that's on the camera right now.
I don't really have a favorite, per se. I like compact lenses, so I'm pretty smitten with the DA Limiteds, and if I am just out and about with a small kit, I'll have the 21, 31 (I must get my 40 back), and 70 (and now the 15 as well) in my vest. I'm really pleased with the 55/1.4. It's turned out to be a gorgeous lens.
I suppose if I had to pick one and say it's my fave, it would probably be the A*85/1.4. It's just a really sweet lens (though it isn't small).
Thanks guys.

My guide to good Pentax lenses. I know I have to judge them my self, but experience from others is intriguing.
07-31-2009, 08:37 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Now he has setup his personal blog so he can review the comments before anyone can see them. I posted a polite comment...but to the point...and guess what....it didn't get posted...
07-31-2009, 11:33 PM   #150
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have pity on RH......

I have followed RH for ages, and it is always the same old, same old.....nothing ever really new or constructive from him.
If you can recall what your Mama told you when you were a boy.......that all that measurebating would make you go blind........well, for a long time now RH has just needed glasses real bad, but it appears that those sockets finally gave out on him, and now he just reaches his conclusions from his "inner thoughts".
Regards
Rupert
Closed Thread