Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2009, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using a K200d for over a year and have actually owned 2 of them at one point. I have used the K20d for the better part of a year and don't think I'm at the point of writing a review on them in a comprehensive manner. That is why I find it a bit odd that someone can hold one for 10 minutes and generate dozens of pages on each one of these bodies. Getting a K-m after 2 years of hammering on the K20d and K200d doesn't retroactively make the RH assessments reliable. His blog is more like an annotated web crawler with a negative twist.

08-08-2009, 04:42 PM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem with RH and his ilk is their air of impartiality. They write as though they are objective purveyors of truth, when in fact they are the worst kind of bias mongers. The problem is that people who don't have any longitudinal exposure with them accept their "analysis" as thorough and based on first-person experience. And the latest "facts" they post about Pentax get taken up and passed around even though they are rumor and innuendo, many of which are debunked by those in the know. But if you say something enough times someone will believe you. And google rankings don't know any better.

Few here hate Canikon as far as I can tell. I've owned still cameras from both and still shoot regularly with an XH-A1. But I do despise masked bias. Forums at least provide some back and forth and the ability for alternative viewpoints. The "thousand eyeballs" doesn't deny anyone's voice but it does help keep people honest. Blogs are a bully pulpit that allow charlatans to massage their egos and grind their axes with impunity. Such is digital life these days...
08-08-2009, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Ricehigh is most likely one of the few who:

I've read pentax damaged one of his limited edition dslrs years ago and failed to make it right or even do a thing about it to rectify the damage.
You know 1/10th of the story...... at best.
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/A_Letter_to_the_CEO_of_Pentax_Corporation.html
One thing I'll agree with is why Ricehigh stays with pentax? I know why I do as I have an assortment of old K Mount glass that works rather nice with K20D and since I paid half off on it new it was worth a try before I cashed out of K Mount lenses. Turned out I liked K20D so I'll stay for now. Having a K20D doesn't make me want to buy any new lenses as I have far less faith in first generation SDM motors duribility and initial quality control: Example 16-50mm 2.8 SDM. Thesedays Pentax lenses I still consider are old KA and FA that are made in Japan optics. Most have lasted a decade or longer so I have much faith in the old and super well made with aperture ring at mount Pentax lenses. I tried 3 FA and KA and passed on them yesterday locally, instead buying another nice used nikon lens instead.

Another point, the "quality control" or lack of QC on K-7 means I'll never buy one, even at half of pentax typical inflated launch price in April 2010. So at the moment Pentax is a dead end system to me and my wife who I primarily buy gear for.

I still enjoy the Pentax gear I have but I am mindful of where the exits are.
Now explain to me how someone can get banned from 3 forums (dp review, steves digicams and here) and asked to leave a 4th (Photozone) without somehow bringing this on himself.... He's a pariah created from his own stubbornness to listen to facts.. I spent over 2 years trying to convince him a light meter should not produce a grey card peak at 126 RGB but refused to recognize his own mistake nor correct it.. eventually the best I got is "so what"...
You have a very limited understanding of the history of RH. He now has his censored world. Leave him to it....

this whole "thesis" is, though interesting, is garbage since it's based on entirely wrong premises..
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh/home.html
Now, we can get all the measurbation data that we, the measurbators, want. In the above screenshot, we can learn that the grey's peak is at 133. The peak of the central "peak" can be interpreted as the majority of value in the range (or the "mode" in statistical term). So, I would regard the exposure result is highly accurate, i.e. only 5 levels brighter than the absolute correct value of 128.
Sorry, he's just wrong and will never admit it.....
http://www.libraw.org/articles/zone-v-in-digital.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 08-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Ricehigh is most likely one of the few who:

Owns a F* 300mm f4. FA* 24mm f2, FA* 85mm 1.4 , a green Km which you may want to correct me is listed as current and not "several generations old" dslr ???

Heres a post when he compared colors of Pentax Lens finishes to his ugly green and orange highlight plastic Km:

Green Plastic, White Plastic is just Pentax Marketing Silliness to me.

I've read pentax damaged one of his limited edition dslrs years ago and failed to make it right or even do a thing about it to rectify the damage.

One thing I'll agree with is why Ricehigh stays with pentax? I know why I do as I have an assortment of old K Mount glass that works rather nice with K20D and since I paid half off on it new it was worth a try before I cashed out of K Mount lenses. Turned out I liked K20D so I'll stay for now. Having a K20D doesn't make me want to buy any new lenses as I have far less faith in first generation SDM motors duribility and initial quality control: Example 16-50mm 2.8 SDM. Thesedays Pentax lenses I still consider are old KA and FA that are made in Japan optics. Most have lasted a decade or longer so I have much faith in the old and super well made with aperture ring at mount Pentax lenses. I tried 3 FA and KA and passed on them yesterday locally, instead buying another nice used nikon lens instead.

Another point, the "quality control" or lack of QC on K-7 means I'll never buy one, even at half of pentax typical inflated launch price in April 2010. So at the moment Pentax is a dead end system to me and my wife who I primarily buy gear for.

I still enjoy the Pentax gear I have but I am mindful of where the exits are.
RH doesn't own the FA* 24/2 AL [IF], and from my understanding never has. There is no lens called the F* 300mm f4. There is a F* 300/4.5 ED [IF], but not the faster version like DA* 300/4 ED [IF] SDM. Besides the F* 300mm f4, according to FotoMagazin tests, it is still not up to the superb FA* 300/2.8 ED [IF].
The general notion has been that RH owned one lens that was worth crawing; the FA* 85/1.4, (though that one is still not as good as the A* 85/1.4)

RH's collecting of Pentax glass fades, compared to many of the usual users at DPr.
(His two last pictures are both with the 85 mounted, just without lens hood. This might have been what mislead you.)
Does he own the olive K-m, or did he just take some pictures, with lenses mounted ?
He was atleast wrong, in his calculations regarding it. Therefore my question, if he really owns the K-m.

I didn't mean to re-surface the discussion, so sorry for bringing up the thread again, after it had sung some pages down. Just felt like giving my chip-in, why I seldom wanna waste time participating in RH discussions. Even if the OP wanted to force one.

I've never before heard, how RH should have owned a limited edition DSLR. Very few were ever made from Pentax. Nor have I heard that Pentax should have failed to make it right or rectify damage. I know that he was mumbling about wanting to sue Pentax, before he was kicking out of DPr.

I don't have a problem that he doesn't like Pentax. But I just find it illigitimate to be masquerading as a Pentaxian to give personal advice to coming DSLR users, and then trying to persuade them to stay away from Pentax. I’ve seen this happening in threads here or other places.
Personally, if I wanted advice from a Nikon user, I wanted him to play with open cards, and not secretly being e.g. a Sony user, trying to sway me over.

Last edited by Blue; 10-10-2012 at 07:38 PM.
08-09-2009, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
The problem is that people who don't have any longitudinal exposure with them accept their "analysis" as thorough and based on first-person experience.
Exactly. When I was a complete newbie and had narrowed my choice down to a Nikon D40 and a Pentax K100D, I came across his blog and seriously started reconsidering my preference for the K100D. I knew nothing about his past and his agenda. Luckily, I still decided to go with a K100D, but I can imagine that his blog can potentially cause quite some damage.

No offence to anyone, but please do not post links to the propaganda machine he calls his blog anymore. Now that he stopped doing it, we shouldn't take take over this job.
08-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #171
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
The general notion has been that RH owned one lens that was worth crawing; the FA* 85/1.4, (though that one is still not as good as the A* 85/1.4) ...
This is subjective.
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #172
Veteran Member

You know how wrong it is to talk about people when they can't respond? Seriously someone needs to lock this thread.

08-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #173
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
jct, I agree. It really isn't kind to talk about other people when they can't respond. As much as I find RH very annoying, I can't help feeling sorry for him. He seems like someone who has an attention-seeking personality problem. Discussing him will only feed into that.

And he is censoring comments because someone kept leaving obscene comments on his site. As soon as RH would delete, he would write it again. I would lock my blog too in that situation.
08-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
jct, I agree. It really isn't kind to talk about other people when they can't respond. As much as I find RH very annoying, I can't help feeling sorry for him. He seems like someone who has an attention-seeking personality problem. Discussing him will only feed into that.

And he is censoring comments because someone kept leaving obscene comments on his site. As soon as RH would delete, he would write it again. I would lock my blog too in that situation.
I agree this thread should die..........
One question though, are you sure he's just censoring "garbage"?
There is "circumstantial evidence" that less "annoying" posts are getting filtered and from the preponderance of negative posts without rebuttal seems to support that..
He wouldn't want you feeling sorry for him, only agreeing in his doctrine...
Your post is not letting this die btw........
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #175
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
You know how wrong it is to talk about people when they can't respond? Seriously someone needs to lock this thread.
He has his own platform to respond to this at. And has done it before. He was never banned from here until his tirade against Adam and mods created the banning...
don't forget that.
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #176
Veteran Member

I'll post the things that I wrote in my latest messages to a moderator.

It was my understanding that he was banned from the site for a month. That ban had not yet been finished by the time that thread was started, and I don't even think it is now. Whether or not he just decided to never come back here...it's never ok to start a thread about him where even the staff comment on what kind of a person he is. I don't like him either, but I've been the person in his shoes many times before, and had threads started even on a website that I built that was taken from me by the co-admin that were entirely about me that I couldn't respond to.

The worst part is his responding on his blog being met with critisicm when it was his only way to "righting" all the things that had been said about him. Whether or not he did it in the right way or for the right purpose doesn't matter, there's a clear double standard for him.

And:

See, you're still including the but statement of your message. Be better than him, don't do the same thing he does on his blog. You know what that kind of thread says about "the friendliest Pentax community"? It says don't cross us.

Sorry if those don't make continuity sense, but I won't post his messages unless he gives me permission to do so.

Last edited by jct us101; 08-10-2009 at 03:23 PM.
08-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Good gawd - all this drama. RH is loving all this sturm and drang - he lives for this.

Just let it go. RH made his own bed. If people feel like being a RH apologist, then start your own blog. Similarly, if you want to bash him, start your own blog. imho the PF community as a whole should just ignore him and thread like this should be locked or sent to the corn field. But ymmv.
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #178
Pentaxian

That ban had not yet been finished by the time that thread was started, and I don't even think it is now.
He is not banned at the moment. He could respond anytime.

I believe there are actually very few who wouldn't enter a constructive dialogue with him, would he decide to come back (he left on his own before he was banned).

You make it look as if the problem lies with a less than friendly community but from my experience most people have treated him well and with respect. The problem really isn't that he has to "right" all the things said about him but that he has created a lot of propaganda that many felt they had to put right. True, some spoke their mind freely but you get that with any topic and RH's persistence to keep telling a community how bad their tools are even though very few cared for his news after a while, didn't really help to calm things down.

...it's never ok to start a thread about him where even the staff comment on what kind of a person he is. I don't like him either, ...
It seems you don't follow your own guidelines.

And, have you read how he insulted the staff? They had every right to ban him permanently and it speaks to their class that they didn't (which I support).
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #179
Damn Brit

... Whether or not he just decided to never come back here...

Do some research before you make accusations please. Check his profile page, here it is to help you; PentaxForums.com - View Profile: RiceHigh, you will see that his status is Pentaxian, not Guest or Banned.
Check his statistics, here is the link to help you again; PentaxForums.com - View Profile: RiceHigh

Look at the first three words of his last post, here's some more help for you; "I am leaving...".
08-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #180
Veteran Member

That's exactly what my post said, whether or not he decided to come back here is his choice, it's not ours then to decide that even though he can come back but chooses not to, that we can openly talk about him all we want knowing he won't respond to any of the posts in the thread, but instead with something on his blog, where we then went and insulted him there and forced him to impliment comment moderating. We really just need to lock this thread and forget about him...by everything said here we're showing that he was the one who won, and we're no better than the unfriendly group of Pentax shooters that he's making us out to be. Don't stoop to his level, make it seem like it doesn't bother us. A 12 page thread that everyone refuses to lock isn't giving that impression.
Closed Thread