Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

k100d (not k10d) weather sealing

Is the k100d "sealed" as well as a typical 35mm slr? Has anyone experienced problems using the camera under "normal" conditions (misty drizzle, etc.)? I've used all my 35mm slrs (Pentax Spotmatics, Canon A-1s, even my old Topcon) under these conditions, without any ill effects. Just wondering if anyone knows of any especially vulnerable areas. I've only had my k100d for a couple of weeks, but may be heading for some wet-ish conditions in a couple of days.

Paul

05-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #2

See this thread.
05-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Other than my adventure in Venice last month, which was previously related on this forum, my only experience with inclement weather was with my *istDS the other year. The K100D is not all that different than the DS.

At a high school baseball game, that should have never started due to the weather, it started raining during the beginning stages of the game. The visiting team traveled several hours, so you can imagine that they wanted to get the game in.

I had the DS mounted to a Sigma EX 100-300/4 lens, which was on a monopod. The rain was light, but steady. I always shoot with the lens hood attached and because the 100-300/4 hood is so deep, the front element stayed free of rain/drizzle drops. For the rest of the rig, I took a hand towel, (you know the ones, between the size of a wash cloth and a full-sized bath towel), folded it in quarters, and laid it over the lens and body. I was using a wired remote, so didn't have to pull up the towel to trigger the shutter release.

Cooler heads prevailed and they called the game after two innings. After getting back to the car, I immediately dried off the lens and body. It wasn't 'wet', but was certainly 'damp', (or had that cool, clammy damp feeling).

Neither the lens nor the body suffered any ill effects from that day. I continued to use the DS until I purchased a K dSLR body. Lens is fine too. As I mentioned at the beginning, the K100D isn't all that different in construction quality than the DS.
05-10-2007, 04:51 PM   #4

My last two cell phones died when a little dampness seeped thru the key pad. Doubt that a camera not designed to be weather proof (K10D, Oly E1, the big buck Canon DLSR) is much better.

LOL. I just remembered that I killed a camera that way too. Had it next to a box of fresh strawberries in the car, and the goo/dew from the berries got inside the camera. That was repaired.

Last edited by chedoy; 05-11-2007 at 07:16 AM.
05-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Is the k100d "sealed" as well as a typical 35mm slr? Has anyone experienced problems using the camera under "normal" conditions (misty drizzle, etc.)? I've used all my 35mm slrs (Pentax Spotmatics, Canon A-1s, even my old Topcon) under these conditions, without any ill effects. Just wondering if anyone knows of any especially vulnerable areas. I've only had my k100d for a couple of weeks, but may be heading for some wet-ish conditions in a couple of days.

Paul
I think you need to consider the difference between a pentax spotmatic and a K10D.

The spotmatic is really a purely mechanical device and a little moisture will not stop the thing from working instantly (long term it may rust solid but that takes time. I am not even sure the exposure meter needs a battery like my KX does. Any relitively new camera (at least as early as a PZ1) and surely all digital cameras are all electronically tripped shutters.

I will recount an experience with my *istD to illustrate.

I was kayaking and had a big wave wash into the cockpit and splash/soak my *istD. Water entered through the top, I suspect throought he switch /shutter release and the camera went into a mode of perminant shooting, implying that the shutter release (fully electronic, not mechanical like the spotmatic) was shorted. Fortunately, turning the camera upside down and leaving it to dry in the sun for 4 solved this problem, and the camera has functioned well for the past 3 years with no maintenance ever.

I would anticipate the K10D, with seals on all buttons would withstand a splash soaking as I experienced on my *istD, but not immersion it into water.

Regardless, I have no intention of trying this as a means of proving it with my K10D.

To me weather proofing is all about making the camera less susceptible to accidental exposures, and not for example, continuous function in a hurricane.
05-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The Pentax line of DSLRs are very well made and the parts fit together quite snuggly, which might stop some very poorly motivated moisture from seeping in. However, they are not sealed at all. There is nothing to stop a more motivated stream of moisture from getting right to the heart of the device. As was previoulsy mentioned, this may not harm a mechanical device, but will very likely destroy an electronic one. In short, don't test it.
05-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
The Pentax line of DSLRs are very well made and the parts fit together quite snuggly, which might stop some very poorly motivated moisture from seeping in. However, they are not sealed at all.
The K10D has seals to prevent moisture from entering, but I'm sure you already know that. That doesn't mean the camera is perfectly sealed from moisture, though, but I would expect it to survive mild rain. I would probably be more cautious with a K100D.

05-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kskjon Quote
The K10D has seals to prevent moisture from entering, but I'm sure you already know that. That doesn't mean the camera is perfectly sealed from moisture, though, but I would expect it to survive mild rain. I would probably be more cautious with a K100D.
True, it is not really sealing at all, it is gasketting, and it is not new. High end cameras have been so gasketted for a long time and have been known to stand up to a considerable amount of torture (moisture, dust, rain, snow, wind, etc). Where I would never want to test the extent of the endurance of my K10D, I would use it in situations where my *istD would have been wrapped in plastic, or simply left in the bag.

As with any piece of expensive equipment, care should be given to all cameras. Some will just survive more accidents than others.
05-11-2007, 01:30 PM   #9

I couldn't agree more!
05-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Great minds think alike. Or something like that.
05-11-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Inactive Account

All my camcorders have had wet weather gear designed to allow their use in bad weather. Surely there is a raincoat for SLR's out ther that is worth purchasing.
Kenn
05-11-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
Inactive Account

There are, just not sure if one is made for any of the Pentax models yet. There is even underwater housing for some of the Nikon models, including the D70.
05-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carried my K100D around London in light rain and it faired just fine. I protected it by attaching the lens hood and pointing the camera downwards with my hands covering the top and back of the camera while it dangled off the neckstrap.

I've also taken it hiking in warm and humid weather. Just looking through the viewfinder would cause the eyepiece to fog up. I noticed that condensation was building up on the telescoping portion of my DA 50-200mm, but the lens and the camera turned out fine.

Of course, I don't purposely expose my K100D to bad weather, but it has survived light rain and heavy fog, so I'm not too worried about it.
05-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #14

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Protector Cover :: Camera Protector Cover for DSLR SLR with LCD Display

Why not use one of these? I have one for my *ist DL, and it seems to work nicely. Keeps your fingers warm in the winter too
05-16-2007, 01:05 AM   #15

Kjetil, this rain cover looks interesting. Have You tested it in "heavy" rain? How did it perform?
Did You have to pay any customs dutyes when purchasing (it seems that the item is dispached from US, and I'm sure that EU has some regulations with customs...)?

Thanks,
Bostjan