Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. Great test. What is wrong with that 50d? Out of Focus? Terrible!
Other than that it goes to show that ISO 3200 and above is a marketing gimick. Who would use it?

mike

08-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #47
Pentaxian

The 50D's "native" results in the above tests are pretty accurate imo.

After seen many many many shots taken with my friends 450D's, 40D's it was one of the main reasons I chose at the time not to go the Canon route. To get the absolute best results they HAVE to shoot raw - period - where I found that the diff between Pentax & Raw results extremely close or a non issue.

Guaranteed that with correct pp with each camera make - excellent results can be achieved - I just found that Pentax gave me a negative that required less pp work.

With regards the K10D noise at 1600 ISO - printing up to A4 and still retaining excellent detail and colour with a decent noise removal program has always been achievable.

Too be quite honest if I was finding that I was predominantly shooting at such high ISO for paid work I would be purchasing the Nikon D700/Canon 5D Mk11 - period - as non of the cameras tested above really don't make the grade imo.

Cheers

Dylan
08-02-2009, 05:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Regardless of what you think you see in this study, the K10D is marginal at ISO 800 and pretty awful at ISO 1600. I have used one extensively over the past 2.5 years, and this is its greatest weakness. Vertical pattern noise is a constant problem and is almost impossible to deal with in PP. From what I have seen posted on the web, the K-7's high ISO performance is considerably better.

Despite what I have written, I love my K10D. It has given me some superb pictures.

Rob
Rob:

I have a K10D, and quite agree with your assessment of its performance. I didn't mean to imply that the K10 actually outperformed the K20D, the K-7 and the D300 in real life but that its appearance to do so in this test made me question the validity of the test. I know for a fact that the K10 cannot produce an image as relatively free of noise and with as sharp detail at ISO 1600 as the one in this test appears to do.

CN