Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

K20D : Custom Function 10

I have been trying to 'understand' this function. "Auto EV Compensation". According to the manual, it sets the camera to use auto EV compensation when the correct exposure cannot be determined.

I know I'm probably being daft here. But I sincerely don't understand. Someone please help me to understand what this function will do in a practical sense. What value does it use. Can this "auto" value be adjusted or what is the auto value? When might the camera "not determine correct exposure".

I figure the answer is simple and plain, and I could be having a 'Clueless' moment... but please.. help.

Thanks

07-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, for instance when you've got a blinking setting due to a bad choice...

Imagine you're in Av mode, wide open, 6400 iso, but in full sunlight... 1/4000 won't be able to cope with this situation (and will blink!), so the body will lower the current variable being controlled, the aperture, until it can reach 1/4000...

This is a way to ensure that even in a hurry, the camera will try to record something meaningful, despite some catastrophic settings...
Now how it interferes with your everyday shots, I cannot say...

Edit: the thing that annoyed me no way with this option was that the change is not permanent... Once the shot is done, the settings revert back to the original ones, so you don't know that there is something wrong if you don't take a proper look in playback to the settings used...
07-30-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ahhh... thank you much. That helps a bunch. That really is a nice feature... but I get what U say... you will use it an not know that it has changed the effective value you wanna use. Still, in a pinch where it's more important to capture something it could prove useful.

Well I've promised myself to take more time and use my camera in Manual mode more. I find that Hyper program has spoiled me and I've stopped really 'thinking' about what I doing in terms of exposure. Going back to manual forces me to slow down, think then capture; I get more involved in the process and well I like that. In a month or two, I will only mount manual lenses on my cam too .

I'm glad to know that I do have an option on the camera to save me from myself.

Thanks for the explaination... I really do appreciate it.
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Problem is, I don't think this option works in M mode...

Well, manual focusing is really great, and once you start using it, you find that sometimes it's better suited than AF... Plus, there are some really great manual lenses to be have for nothing around the web...

07-31-2009, 08:20 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
This is really the league of nations...south of France,Jamaica and Western Australia.......amazing when one thinks back 15 years......
07-31-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually, 15 years back, although it's true it was the early days of internet (with text-only pages and boards!!!), such a discussion could nevertheless have taken place (but on film camera!)...

No, 25 years ago, that's another story : we had a zx81 or maybe an Atari ST, good old VHS, music tape and vinyls... Cars had no belt on the rear seat... And the only overseas person you ever wrote to was a kid some teacher imposed on you in English classes...

Now my own kids look at me in a bizarre way when I cannot show them the pic I just snapped (because I'm still using a film camera from time to time...).
07-31-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, 20+ years ago we still had FidoNet...