Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 10:33 AM   #1

Time-lapse with K100D and old lenses

I have read lots of good posts here about using old (mine are K-mount) lenses with this camera (which is on its way today). I understand using the AE-L button to stop down the lens so that the camera can find the correct shutter speed for a proper exposure.

So here is my question: is there any way to set the camera up so that it sets the exposure automatically without the use of the AE-L button? I want to take time-lapse photos using an intervalometer and won't be there to push a button for every frame.

If no easy way to do this, any difficult ones?! I guess I could just pick an exposure once and then edit the photos after they are recorded but I would prefer not to. Also, if I wanted to take a series of pix with significantly different lighting (e.g. dusk to night sky) then I don't know if I could even find a "compromise" exposure that would work at both ends of the lighting.

Thanks for any ideas. I am dying to use this camera with my old (but great) lenses!

07-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, there is a mean to use your P-K lenses as stop-down lenses (like the m42), where the aperture is free to move : simply mount them partway so the aperture actuator doen't touch the lens' aperture lever. this way, if you set f/4, the aperture blades will immediately change.

In this mode, the camera will meter what it sees in real-time (no need to stop-down!), so the metering will be accurate, whatever lighting condition arise.

I've made this change in a permanent way on one of my PK lenses by drilling a second locking hole in the lens.
On my K20, I lock the lens using this new hole, and it works just like an old m42.
On my film camera, I use the original locking hole, so I can still focus wide open.