Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k10D or k100D

which would be a better choice getting a k10D with standard lens pack(upgrading after) or the k100D and getting a good lens?
ill be photographing motorsport more than other things but id like the option.

all views welcome.

cheers

05-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by james:
which would be a better choice getting a k10D with standard lens pack(upgrading after) or the k100D and getting a good lens?
ill be photographing motorsport more than other things but id like the option.
If it were my decision, (and I have, and enjoy using, both cameras), for your primary anticipated application, I'd get the K10D. It will focus a lot faster than the K100D, especially with the new DA* lenses, (whenever they are marketed). You will probably be shooting in continuous mode, and the K10D has a larger buffer and a lot faster write speed. It also has a slightly higher fps rate. The 10Mp will allow 'creative' cropping. Since most motorsports occur during daylight hours, the advantage of the K100D 6Mp sensor and its lower noise is not a determining factor.

I cannot think of a good, valid reason to choose the K100D over the K10D for your application, except for personal economics. Just my opinion.

p.s. Be sure to purchase one of the faster SD cards.
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it helps alot, money isnt really a prob (sounds terrible, but i work for it). i would spend a bit more and get something ill keep for a few years rather than get one that ill want to change every so often.

i reacon ill put my money where my mouth is and order one tonight .
05-10-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by james Quote
it helps alot, money isnt really a prob (sounds terrible, but i work for it). i would spend a bit more and get something ill keep for a few years rather than get one that ill want to change every so often.

i reacon ill put my money where my mouth is and order one tonight .

What kind of motorsports, and what are you intending on using the shots for?

05-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter

On the other side of the coin for someone who just went through this , here was my thought process :

The 'best' feedback I ever received in all my research (it may have been from here sorry I forget) is first and foremost be commited to the glass. It looks like you have already made that choice - initially for me I was looking at all the players.

Then for me it came down to K100D vs K10D -
This was my first DSLR - I have (and still have) several digital PS cameras.
I have never printed anything larger than 16x20 (once) a few 8x10's and a few 4x6 (most all my pictures end up an a DVD slide shows I create another hobby).
I wanted to see what a DSLR could do for me but was not 100% committed
I would buy nice glass (lenses) and try not to cheap out too much
If I bought the K100D and wanted more features I was willing to eat a loss on the K100D when I sold it and buy the K10D

That said I bought the K100D and so far am very happy. I do see myself in a K10D (or the next gerneation) at some point but as mentioned I went in knowing it was not the state of art prosumer camera Pentax offered. I was not sure I would enjoy it as much as the PS (which I enjoy way more actually)

So if don't print allot over 8x10 , do not do allot of cropping and photo shop work, can live with the slower buffer speeds in burst mode , slower autofocus (which the k100d works pretty darn fast on most lenses) , a few less features (ability to take jpeg and raw, etc) ... the k100d will more that be enough it is a great camera.

If you see youself already committed to a DSLR and have the money - I would go with K10D. My choice was not so much about $$ as I was not sure I would enjoy it as much - had I known ... hahah still either one is great camera and they both will be repalced within a year or less with newer models but they are both strong enough in features and build to last a good long time.
05-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
it will be fast car/bikes and my trials so it needs to be quick.

^^^ thanks for the advice, another thing swaying me towards pentax is dad has lenses already, not good ones but lenses all the same.
05-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
well hopefully all the reiveiws and the k10D is up to my expectations as one has been ordered it should be here next week and im soo excited