Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
How is Pentax gonna increase it's market share when nobody can hold the damn K-7 anywhere.

Do you honestly believe many with an entry level Canon or Nikon are going to dump their cameras with better Hi ISO and better flash systems to buy a camera they cant even get their hands on? Based on what? On marketing hype and the first adoptor fanboys glowing reports alone?

And few newbies will ever know this camera exists because it is not in the stores.. So where is the big threat to the stagnant market share?

Pentax increased shipment of DSLR's by 40% first quarter this year. That is before the release of the K-7. The K-7 is currently Pentax best selling DSLR...

07-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I think what Pentax is losing is the marketing war, nothing more, nothing less. They certainly have a line that should appeal to enthusiasts and pros of many flavors, but they call their own top-end system "semi-pro". Maybe they don't think they have the marketing capability to overcome the propaganda-drunk scoffers that say "Pro? Without FF? Absurd!" This is a tribute to Canon and Nikon's marketing skill and advertising budget.
i would tend to agree with this. the technology is so good now that every camera, even those $100 P&S's can turn out a decent picture. and with products being so similar, the strength of marketing and sales distribution is what separates Canon and Nikon from everyone else, which is evident in their hiring of superstars to push their brands.

that being said, given the choice if i was paid to take pictures, i'd choose the D300s over the K-7 without a blink.
07-31-2009, 12:47 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
hahhahahahahahaahahahahahahaha, a far as APS bodies go, this thing is a monster; about as discreet as a kick to the teeth...
It is compact by Nikon standards.

Anyway, the K-7 have made some impact among Nikon and Canon users. Not so much by it's specification, in which Nikon and Canon can compete, but the fact that Pentax show that it is possibly to make high grade cameras and lenses that are not big and heavy. I hope Pentax continue this trend and being a manufacturer of though and compact DSLR's for outdoor use (primarily)...
07-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snogglethorpe Quote
Notice I only joined this site recently? It's because of the K-7. Though I've owned older pentax gear for a long time, and I like the company, their digital gear has always somehow lacked a spark, and never quite seemed to live up to the standard set by their earlier film cameras. With the K-7 there's a sense that maybe something is changing; it feels a little bit more like a camera the Pentax of old would have made...

[I'm curious what impact the Hoya acquisition had on such things...]

Absolutely spot on!

08-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately THIS is the sort of thing that will always give Nikon an edge of the smaller camera players. When the K-7 was announced what did Pentax do to show off the video capabilities ... nothing with this sort of work involved that's for sure.

I know video isnt the be all and end all of having a DSLR but its a must for new users coming into the market so why not show it off properly.
08-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Nice video!

And I thought only pentax could be used outdoors to shoot extreme sports!

So where is Pentax's viral marketing youtube video? I think I saw some small dogs playing in a park?
08-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Does not the D300s incorporate an internal high quality microphone ? I'm not sure if the K 7 has this feature ?
The K-7 has a stereo input for an external microphone. That's infinitely better than any crap mic Nikon might have put in their camera. For details read Capturing Sound For Video.

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
How is Pentax gonna increase it's market share when nobody can hold the damn K-7 anywhere.
The first store I went into in Canada I could hold it. Indeed, as the battery was still charging I might have been the first to do so. It was Henry's in London, Ontario, for those keeping score. They also had the K20D and K-m plus a decent array of lenses.
08-01-2009, 09:44 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eigengrau Quote
I just noticed the D300S was announced on DPreview, and the feature list looks eerily familiar.
Just like a lot of the K-7 features look eerily familiar to any Olympus user.

08-01-2009, 10:20 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The K-7 has a stereo input for an external microphone. That's infinitely better than any crap mic Nikon might have put in their camera. For details read Capturing Sound For Video.

The first store I went into in Canada I could hold it. Indeed, as the battery was still charging I might have been the first to do so. It was Henry's in London, Ontario, for those keeping score. They also had the K20D and K-m plus a decent array of lenses.
I've been to about 4 stores in my Canadian city. They have K7 stock in each store and I've held the K7, tried it out in the store.

I went to a camera shop a short while ago in the states where they had Nikon, Canon and Pentax DSLR. The clerk had not heard of the K7 or was not aware of the 55-300 Pentax lens.
08-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #55

The D300s is a long-expected update to the D300, adding the newer features introduced on the D90(Video, silent mode) and D700 (control layout changes and level). It's been expected since last fall.

The D300s and the K-7 fill two very different niche's. The D300s is the no-holds barred king of DX crop performance, with AF and FPS performance that's higher than anything else. It is a compact & light body when compared with anything that can match its speed and AF performance (which would be the 1D series and D3/D2 series bodies) but not when compared to similar-cost bodies (which it outperforms). Its niche is very-long lens shooting or max AF/fps on a budget.

The K-7 on the other hand is an ultra-compact body offering similar performance to most of the other bodies in its price range. It also offers better weather-sealing than anything else other than the E-3. If you want a consumer-sized body with semi-pro performance the K-7 is pretty much it (Only the E-30 and D90 come close and both are larger and lack sealing). Matched with Limited primes, the K-7 offers maximal performance in minimal packaging.

I've owned a D300, shot with it for 11 months and well over 10,000 frames. It's a bloody superb camera. I'd rather have a K-7 though, for the size advantage.
08-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #56
Veteran Member

For $500 more...is it a 50% better camera?

Jason
08-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
Well, it does offer 60% more speed and 250% more battery life (when matched with the EN-EL4a battery and the grip, otherwise it's only 40% more speed)

Simply put, if you need what the D300s offers, nothing else in the sub-$2k market cam match it. If you don't need that speed other options are more economical.
08-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #58
Veteran Member

the way I shoot, speed isn't my number 1, or even my number 5 concern....but $500 is.

Jason
08-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote

Jason
no, but a limited lens does !
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Don't be so sure. The dSLR market is not expanding so if Pentax, Olympus and to some extent Sony want to increase their sales, it comes at the expense of Canon and Nikon. I will bet that Nikon closely watches all the players as they have the most to lose from a corporate standpoint. Nikon has become almost totally dependent on cameras while Canon, Hoya, Sony and Olympus are more diversified.

imho Nikon can't afford to lose market share to Canon or the niche players.
I totally agree with your logic. The K7 has already won several awards and we all know how susceptible the masses are to accolades that are made out of Gold or Silver Medals. I doubt if Canon or Nikon appreciate the fact that the K-7 are getting the kind of press that may sway those that are still on the fence. Yes sir, the competition are watching and doing so very closely.