Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GLXLR, sorry but I cannot help but be amazed at your stupidity in doing what you did. Water and optics and electronics are not a compatible combination. Weather resistant does not mean waterproof.

I hope you didn't take inspiration from the thread starter of an earlier thread, a blur student newbie who's Youtube posting is a big joke where I am...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66782-do-you-care-...signments.html

07-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
New discovery*

After leaving the lens in rice for a while, I noticed the 2nd or 3rd element has been covered by a watery mist (about 1/3-1/4 of the element).

I also noticed the 2nd or 3rd last element is COMPLETELY covered in mist too. I'll keep leaving it in the rice and hope for the best...
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I would just like to say that I LOVE this thread.
07-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
GLXLR, sorry but I cannot help but be amazed at your stupidity in doing what you did. Water and optics and electronics are not a compatible combination. Weather resistant does not mean waterproof.

I hope you didn't take inspiration from the thread starter of an earlier thread, a blur student newbie who's Youtube posting is a big joke where I am...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66782-do-you-care-...signments.html
I have been doing it for a while... way before that thread...

If you aren't going to give any suggestions on how to fix this problem, please don't post.

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-30-2009 at 05:16 PM.
07-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
(hopefully it will still be eatable afterwards.
The rice or the lens?
07-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Send it immediately to a Pentax repair facility to have the lens opened up and thoroughly dried up. That's the only way this lens will be salvageable imo. Expect to fork out some money because a disassembly will require the lens elements to be collimated and recalibrated. Whether or not the lens can be fixed, this is a costly lesson for you. Good luck.
07-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Send it immediately to a Pentax repair facility to have the lens opened up and thoroughly dried up. That's the only way this lens will be salvageable imo. Expect to fork out some money because a disassembly will require the lens elements to be collimated and recalibrated. Whether or not the lens can be fixed, this is a costly lesson for you. Good luck.
Someone had their Tamron 70-200mm take a dump in a lake, still under warranty, and had their's fixed.

At least mine was just a stream of tap water. Still under warranty and 10 days old.

07-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you want to recover this leave it in the sun, with all covers open, and I suggest upside down, since it is likely water went int he top, probably around the flash, which should be opened for the dry out/

take the batteries out and let it bake. 1-2 days.

put the batteries in and try.

I have my *istD get saturated when a kayak got swamped, did the same thing for 4 hours, and it has worked perfectly for over 5 years.

Just make real sure it is dry.

once done drying out if it still works, store it with several bags of silica gell, to really dry it out.

Your experience does however, make me wonder, .....
but I'll leave my criticism's for the moment
No Damnit! do not tell anyone to leave anything in the sun, or blow dry it with hot air. HEAT CAN DAMAGE, WARP AND BREAK CIRCUIT BOARDS!

especially when the temperature change is fast, and its wet. huge temp changes in this condition can be fatal.

PUT IT IN RICE, DO NOT HEAT, ASK ME HOW I KNOW

Last edited by bobloadmire; 07-30-2009 at 05:50 PM.
07-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #24
Forum Member

i have never cleaned DA* lense, but i did get my cheap DA 18-55 II drenched in sea water. fogged up all of the optics permanantly. I dunked it in purified water for a couple of hours, and shook it around gently to circulate the water, and then put in a bag of rice for 3 days. Good as new afterwards. I;m not sure how the DA* would react with the weather seals, but if the only other option is a dead lens, its worth a shot. Purified water dries clear with no spots.
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobloadmire Quote
No Damnit! do not tell anyone to leave anything in the sun, or blow dry it with hot air. HEAT CAN DAMAGE, WARP AND BREAK CIRCUIT BOARDS!

especially when the temperature change is fast.

No need to shout, however please note.

most electronics components are designed to cope with unconrtolled shipping temperatures of at least 60C because otherwise nothing could be delivered to anyone in working order.

I am not talking about exposure to oven temperatures, but to allow the camera to warm up naturally with all covers open so that moisture can excape.
07-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
most electronics components are designed to cope with unconrtolled shipping temperatures of at least 60C because otherwise nothing could be delivered to anyone in working order.
hey, maybe this explains the K7 green line

(ducking)
07-30-2009, 06:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobloadmire Quote

especially when the temperature change is fast, and its wet. huge temp changes in this condition can be fatal.

lolol I only put the lens outside, not the body!
07-30-2009, 06:13 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
hey, maybe this explains the K7 green line

(ducking)
maybe maybe not, but have you ever seen a UPS van air conditioned. They sit in the sun for hours and temperatures easily exceed 60 C for extended periods.

how did you say your camera arrived, Oh that's right, UPS
07-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #29

Seals are good for a certain time... but not forever.

Most need to be changed every 2-5 years, depending on the size and type of seals. Waterprooof digicam may require changing seals every year or every other year.

Still, soaking your DSLR under so much water sure didn't do good.

Hope it gets dry and works again. If it doesnt, send it to Samsung for an evaluation. It could be repaired, maybe.
07-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I definitely learned my lesson lol.
It has worked fine for over a year with me washing it with water tinkling down the sink, but I guess that tub water is just too much for a camera.

I keep checking up on the lens and discovered that the rice treatment is working! the moisture is moving out from the inner parts of the lens (glass elements) and now is working it's way up to the distance scale (IOW, the glass elements are clean!!!).
I will test the body either tomorrow or after tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted!

And again, thanks for MOST of the inputs.