Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tigrebleu Quote
Seals are good for a certain time..
"looks like you blew a seal"

"no, I just had some ice cream"

07-30-2009, 07:14 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I read the initial post and the follow-up messages and the same question keeps popping into my head...

Why?

Steve
07-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
"looks like you blew a seal"

"no, I just had some ice cream"
You mind if I lift that for my sig?
07-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You mind if I lift that for my sig?
It's a free country.

Well, sort of free.

Well, not really free.

It is a country. Last time I checked.

07-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just curious-- why not just wipe it down with a wet cloth? That's what I do with mine. I'm imagining a camera covered with so much grime that wiping it down would only risk pushing the dirt into the camera. I'd love to see pictures of the pre-washed camera.

As an aside, this is a large reason why I bought into Pentax/Samsung. Even though I'd be hard pressed to sink-wash my GX-10, I'm glad to see proof of what these cameras can take.
07-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
Just curious-- why not just wipe it down with a wet cloth? That's what I do with mine. I'm imagining a camera covered with so much grime that wiping it down would only risk pushing the dirt into the camera. I'd love to see pictures of the pre-washed camera.

As an aside, this is a large reason why I bought into Pentax/Samsung. Even though I'd be hard pressed to sink-wash my GX-10, I'm glad to see proof of what these cameras can take.
I believe it would survive in most extreme conditions like blizzards, heavy storms, sand storms, etc. but it simply can't survive (these seals weren't meant to do this either) a continuous stream of water, like pouring a 50 gallon bucket over the camera for 20 seconds.

*update* I just tested the battery for the camera and it works but seems to be taking pictures uncontrollably. I'll give it one more day before trying again*
07-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I believe it would survive in most extreme conditions like blizzards, heavy storms, sand storms, etc. but it simply can't survive (these seals weren't meant to do this either) a continuous stream of water, like pouring a 50 gallon bucket over the camera for 20 seconds.

*update* I just tested the battery for the camera and it works but seems to be taking pictures uncontrollably. I'll give it one more day before trying again*
Wait, please wait one week before trying again. Moisture is stuck deep inside a device that has thousands of electronic contacts next to each other, one tiny drop of water can make you think all hope is gone, but if you let it dry it may work; I think you know what I am saying. Go to the GX10 debug thread and download the manual for the K10 or K20 and have a look at the insides and how one drop of water on the top shutter contacts will do this.

Also I believe you had a defective lens. The DA* lens you have does not zoom in or out (I believe) and is suppose to be sealed everyplace and sealed very well. Or a seal got contaminated like the oring on the back of the lens and let water in. Also this is the second time I have read of a DA* and Pentax/Samsung WR body failing, the first user was just using it in rain and his DA*16-50mm leaked letting water in; Your test will expose the slightest weakness. When everything is working right, I agree I am not afraid of any natural weather with my K20D and the simplified sealed DA18-55mm WR, but that lens I won't push, only normal water/rain/snow. But one QC problem or flaw and... Good luck

07-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
Wait, please wait one week before trying again. Moisture is stuck deep inside a device that has thousands of electronic contacts next to each other, one tiny drop of water can make you think all hope is gone, but if you let it dry it may work; I think you know what I am saying. Go to the GX10 debug thread and download the manual for the K10 or K20 and have a look at the insides and how one drop of water on the top shutter contacts will do this.

Also I believe you had a defective lens. The DA* lens you have does not zoom in or out (I believe) and is suppose to be sealed everyplace and sealed very well. Or a seal got contaminated like the oring on the back of the lens and let water in. Also this is the second time I have read of a DA* and Pentax/Samsung WR body failing, the first user was just using it in rain and his DA*16-50mm leaked letting water in; Your test will expose the slightest weakness. When everything is working right, I agree I am not afraid of any natural weather with my K20D and the simplified sealed DA18-55mm WR, but that lens I won't push, only normal water/rain/snow. But one QC problem or flaw and... Good luck
I can't belive I have to return my 2nd 50-135mm... or should I?

I thought it would be more weather sealed, considering I use to wash it even with NON WR lenses.

*just took a look at the 50-135mm and see there is still some mist in the 2nd element. Guess I have to return it again...

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-31-2009 at 12:06 AM.
07-31-2009, 01:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

This is the strangest thread I ever read! I am asking respectfully, why would anyone wash his DSLR? And brag about.
I did some shooting once with my K200 with 18-55 in rain, but that's as far I will go.
Most are foam type seals. Not O-rings. this will provide a fair dust sealing, vapor & moisture, weather sealing, but not real water sealing.

it's like with some old watches: you can walk in rain, but not in water.

Last edited by octavmandru; 07-31-2009 at 01:12 AM.
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
This is the strangest thread I ever read! I am asking respectfully, why would anyone wash his DSLR? And brag about.
I did some shooting once with my K200 with 18-55 in rain, but that's as far I will go.
Most are foam type seals. Not O-rings. this will provide a fair dust sealing, vapor & moisture, weather sealing, but not real water sealing.

it's like with some old watches: you can walk in rain, but not in water.
I am not bragging about it, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for help...

Honestly, I am still debating on whether or not I should get it fixed. I could always wait a summer and try to get it serviced then b/c now is the Summer time and I actually have time to go out and shoot...

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-31-2009 at 10:20 AM.
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM   #41
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I read the initial post and the follow-up messages and the same question keeps popping into my head...

Why?
I wonder about that too. How on earth did your camera need 50+ washes? Are you an amateur colonoscopist or something?
07-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I wonder about that too. How on earth did your camera need 50+ washes? Are you an amateur colonoscopist or something?
It didn't need 50 washes. I just used the little sink faucet and the water trickled onto the camera+lens while I got a rag and cleaned.

Never done something this stupid though and get the camera under a shower... ugg...
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
In the end, all is well. Checked it this afternoon, both lens+body are perfectly fine,although in the future I still might have to service my 50-135mm...

*edit*

I noticed that the camera can't detect what the focal length or the aperture of the 50-135mm are. All other lenses are working fine. Also noticed a bunch of mist inside the lens. I'll put it in the rice bowl for a few more days and see what happens. If it is still not working, I guess i'll take it down to Pentax.

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-31-2009 at 12:52 PM.
07-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #44
Inactive Account

If it were me. I'd go down to the gunshop and buy a large desiccant block like they use in large gun lockers. Put the lens in a tupperware container with the block, make sure the lid is sealed.

EDIT: Beware rice that has started to soak up moisture. It will quickly develop fungus and mold. You don't need that added to the problem.
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I put it out of the rice. It can't even AF or give aperture reading anymore, so I decided to get it fix (still 12 days under warranty). Oh well. I'll make due with the soon to get 35mm + my FA 100mm macro.