Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
when to recharge the batteries for the K10D?

In another thread that I can't find right now, someone mentioned that the K10D's batteries are not supposed to be depleted fully, that they're intended to be "topped off" frequently. I'm writing to ask for confirmation of this and perhaps get any more wisdom anyone has to offer on the subject of recharging.

I have two batteries. I generally leave a battery in the camera until the camera's battery-level indicator TELLS me that it's time to recharge. That is of course before the camera refuses to take another photo (well, usually). When I see the low-battery indicator, I get the battery into the charger a.s.a.p. and leave it there until the other battery gets low, then I switch 'em out.

I have just received the K10D grip. Not sure yet whether it makes sense to put both batteries in there or not. If I do, what's the best way to handle recharging then? Will the camera tell me when one battery is depleted or low?

Will

05-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was me, and I was refering to the following web page:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

The first guideline they mention for prolonging Li-Ion battery life begins with:
Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one.
I don't know the answer to your question regarding how the camera will tell you about the battery state with the grip, as I don't own it.
05-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been keeping tabs on how many shots I get from K10D batteries.
They have averaged around 500 shots so if I shoot arond 200 in a days shoot which is most of the time then I will recharge the battery and put the previously charged one in the camera.
Nothing worse when shooting wildlife to have a battery go flat just as a great potential shot heads your way.
« Dark spot | Help !! »