Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Hi Harriet!
Don't you find different lenses expose differently? I know my 16-45 F4 is always about +.7 needed whereas my 100-300 is right on with no + or -?
Dennis

08-04-2009, 05:51 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The Pentax Counter

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Haha you must get the Pentax Shelf all to yourself over there! (jealous)

Yea I find that alot about my K20D. It would look just about right on the LCD screen and then on my computer, I have to like crank almost every shot by +1ev in post. LoL. Seems like they tweaked the exposure in the K-7 in the right direction!
Ha! You nailed it right on the head, FotoPete. I keep politely/respectfully mentioning to people who are buying their first DSLR not to ignore Pentax (or Olympus or Sony, for that matter) in favour of Canikon. I've only been there a couple of weeks, but so far no one has given it much of a second thought... After I say that, the response is usually, "So what's the difference between the T1i and the D5000, again?"
08-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I notice you used matrix metering. Try center weighted averaging, you might find it works better.
08-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Dennis! While I do find that some lenses expose slightly differently than others (the DA 55-300 will tend to overexpose a bit under conditions that my A*300 would not), but my K20 is pretty consistent across the board - it underexposed no matter what lens I was using. So I'd dial in +.3 and that seemed to work well - I could always brighten a .3 stop if the particular lens was still a bit underexposed.

I never quite decided if I wanted to leave the first K-7 on -.3 or not. It seemed to be perfect with manual lenses with no Ev, but seemed hotter than I wanted (blowing highlights most of the time) with everything else. I tried -.3 Ev with matrix metering and got frustrated as I wasn't getting consistent results (part of the problem was that I normally only use center weighted and spot metering).

With this second K-7 body the first thing I noticed was that I wasn't getting the blown highlights like I had with the first body, and that was using the same lenses. So I've left the Ev alone and have been very happy with the results, no matter which lens I've been using (and I've gone back to metering modes I'm comfortable with).

08-04-2009, 01:59 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
A loose focusing screen may be due to drop damage in shipping. Are you sure the screen is mounted correctly? A misaligned focus screen could potentially affect metering....
Speaking of drop damage in shipping: I've often wondered if some of the problems with misaligned lenses could be due to the relatively light cardboard boxes they use. Do other manufacturers use tougher (but less environment-friendly?) boxes?
08-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Maynerd Quote
Maybe it's just that I was so used to the way that the K10/K20 exposed that this will just take some getting used to.
My guess is that you are right; you need to get used to the new metering.

I believe that the new 77-segment metering allowed the engineers to implement a less cautious metering. My feeling (without having done any measurebations myself) is that pre-K-7 Pentax DSLR were very cautious with metering in order to avoid blown highlights. This (from a technical viewpoint) often resulted in underexposure. I count myself to the camp which actually prefers a slightly underexposed image to a slightly overexposed one.

The better precision afforded by the new 77-segment metering system can now be less cautious (as it should pick up local overexposure much better than the old system) and hence will (from a technical viewpoint) lead to better exposures.

In other words the old metering was a "bug" which was considered to be a "feature" by many. Nevertheless, it was a bug that seems to have been partially addressed ("What Digital Camera" still thinks the K-7 significantly underexposes).

I have no real idea, but because of the presence of the big black surface in your sample images, it seems technically correct for the camera to pull up exposure even though that means that sadly some strong highlights get slightly blown. I think it is up to you to prevent the strong highlights to be blown if that is your intention. Not sure why one cannot select from metering philosophies like "18% gray", "highlight priority", and "expose to the right"...

Even if you don't like the hot look, as long as you don't get highlight clipping, the new exposure philosophy is better for you since you can pull down the exposure in PP a bit without any loss in image quality. The reverse, pushing exposure in PP, introduces unwanted noise.
08-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I notice you used matrix metering. Try center weighted averaging, you might find it works better.
Wheatfield:

I do tend to use center weighted and spot more than matrix, but with the new 77 segment meter, I would have expected (and was hoping for) better and more accurate metering results, so that I could be confident using it in a pinch.

Class A:

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
My guess is that you are right; you need to get used to the new metering.
Hopefully this is the case.

The better precision afforded by the new 77-segment metering system can now be less cautious (as it should pick up local overexposure much better than the old system) and hence will (from a technical viewpoint) lead to better exposures.
The key word there being "should".

I think it is up to you to prevent the strong highlights to be blown if that is your intention. Not sure why one cannot select from metering philosophies like "18% gray", "highlight priority", and "expose to the right"...
I couldn't agree more, this was more of a test of the new metering system. I know a lot of great photographers that use matrix, multi-segment, whatever you want to call it, often with outstanding results, even in high contrast scenes.

Even if you don't like the hot look, as long as you don't get highlight clipping, the new exposure philosophy is better for you since you can pull down the exposure in PP a bit without any loss in image quality. The reverse, pushing exposure in PP, introduces unwanted noise.
Well... Not exactly true. While I agree about the introduction of noise if pushing exposure, by "blowing out" highlights, extreme clipping is what I am referring to, which is all but completely unrecoverable without noticeable polarization and banding (especially in sky, for instance).

Thanks for the input, folks.
08-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
User Error

Well, as I had hoped, this blowing out issue is looking to be more "user error" (yes, I am an idiot) than anything else.

I had been bringing my files in to Lightroom and viewing them in the develop pane with the adobe default develop settings, which renders the pictures almost identical to the .jpg exposure (based on the histogram). However, if I look at them in the library pane, they are only slightly overexposed, leading to the conclusion that a slight -.03 exposure compensation (as nostatic and a couple others had suggested) in camera would take care of the issue.

Now I just need to figure out what the best default settings are, for the K7, in Lightroom's develop mode and set that as my default.

Is anyone else using Lightroom 2.4 to develop their RAW files? Would you care to share your default settings as a starting point?

I'll post something similar in the software section, but thought I'd give a quick update here first as this thread has gone on long enough, me thinks.

Thanks again for all the help guys and gals. The next time I'm discussing my workflow with someone, I'll be sure to add "Ask a bunch of stupid questions on PentaxForums.com" as one of the steps.

Cheers.