Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Disturbing K7 story

Well...

My first copy of the K7 was pretty much a disaster. I waited 4 hours for the battery to charge (read the manual while I waited) and then when I went to take the cap off the body to put a lens on, out flopped the viewfinder. I'm not sure if this happened in transit, or if it was a mis-step in quality control, but regardless, it didn't make a good first impression. After I carefully put the viewfinder back into place, the tray wouldn't "click" in to it's rightful place without a fight. After 20 minutes of trying numerous different tools to get it to lock back in without damaging anything, I finally got it (but a couple of scuffs).

Unfortunately, when I took it out for a few test shots after this disturbing setback, every shot was overexposed like you wouldn't believe. There were blown out highlights everywhere! I tried adjusting everything numerous times over the past few days (thinking it was simply something I missed in haste), but to no avail. So tomorrow I'm returning it for another copy. Hopefully I don't run into anything as remotely disastrous as the first one.

Wish me luck.

07-31-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maynerd Quote
Well...

My first copy of the K7 was pretty much a disaster. I waited 4 hours for the battery to charge (read the manual while I waited) and then when I went to take the cap off the body to put a lens on, out flopped the viewfinder. I'm not sure if this happened in transit, or if it was a mis-step in quality control, but regardless, it didn't make a good first impression. After I carefully put the viewfinder back into place, the tray wouldn't "click" in to it's rightful place without a fight. After 20 minutes of trying numerous different tools to get it to lock back in without damaging anything, I finally got it (but a couple of scuffs).

Unfortunately, when I took it out for a few test shots after this disturbing setback, every shot was overexposed like you wouldn't believe. There were blown out highlights everywhere! I tried adjusting everything numerous times over the past few days (thinking it was simply something I missed in haste), but to no avail. So tomorrow I'm returning it for another copy. Hopefully I don't run into anything as remotely disastrous as the first one.

Wish me luck.
I wish you luck my friend!

If I ordered a new camera and this happened to me.........I would really be down in the dumps!

Ray
07-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck! I returned my first K-7 and have been very happy with the second one. You were much more patient with yours than I would have been.
07-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is no excuse for such shoddy workmanship, but being an early adopter does carry risks. Good luck with your second copy.

Rob

07-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear this.
It shouldn't be alright to put up with.
Sounds like general light leakage or metering issues.
Either way, needs to be replaced.
08-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #6

Viewfinder or Focus Screen?
08-01-2009, 02:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Viewfinder or Focus Screen?
Pretty sure he was talking about the focusing screen from what I've interpreted.

08-01-2009, 05:32 AM   #8
Inactive Account

if that happened to me, i'd ship the camera right back.
even if i could put the focusing screen back in, I don't know what else might have gone wrong.

just my 2 cents

jordan

Last edited by opiedog; 08-01-2009 at 05:32 AM. Reason: grammar
08-01-2009, 06:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

although this could be a QC problem but it could also a return from another customer who recently purchased and played around with it. Some local camera stores here provide good return policy within a few days of purchase - that is how you may end up getting one of those. I would return/exchange it right away without messing around with it and most likely they will put it right back on the shelf after you return it (if you didn't say it's broken).

I guess this brings up a question about packaging. Since all the camera equipment we purchased are not sealed, how can we tell the difference between a brand new (direct from manufacturing) and one which has been shown and played with by potential buyers. There is a trade-off between online purchase versus buying it from local store. With online purchase, getting an item previously shown to other buyer is not quite possible - unless there is a loose return policy. But with local store purchase I always check everything in front of the sales person before leaving the store.

Good luck, and hope you get a good replacement copy.

BTW, I am also thinking about getting the K-7; please PM me where you get yours so I can avoid the same.
08-01-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A loose focusing screen may be due to drop damage in shipping. Are you sure the screen is mounted correctly? A misaligned focus screen could potentially affect metering....
08-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

You can usually tell if a boxed camera has been previously used by fingerprints/smudges on the body, especially the View screen on the back. However, if the store doesn't have a display model to test, you're out of luck because they could have taken a new one out of the box to show people.
08-01-2009, 07:38 AM   #12

good luck with the replacement
08-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Inactive Account

A part of me dies when I hear a story about someone's camera breaking. I was so excited unboxing my K7, I'd been waiting for weeks, and if it had been faulty... Sigh.

I hope everything works out. Not all K7s are awful and fall apart like your original did. Hopefully this time you'll have some better luck!
08-01-2009, 08:36 AM   #14

I shiver every time I hear one of those stories as well, my K-7 being due for delivery in, oh, half an hour now. Between many stories of faulty or misaligned sensors, shake reduction and now a viewfinder and exposure sensor I'm one tense individual right now.

Hope you manage to get yours exchanged without too much trouble, Maynerd!
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PolishMike Quote
I shiver every time I hear one of those stories as well, my K-7 being due for delivery in, oh, half an hour now. Between many stories of faulty or misaligned sensors, shake reduction and now a viewfinder and exposure sensor I'm one tense individual right now.
Knew a fella once who bought a Rolls Royce and had some mechanical problems. For what it worth, my K-7 was shipped across the country (Canada), which is some considerable distance, and I had no problem. Everything was intact and working perfectly. So cheer up and do not assume the worst.

Last edited by MikePerham; 08-01-2009 at 09:49 AM.