Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 01:39 AM   #1

K200D pop up flash won't close!

Anyone else had this problem? It's occured on my K200D a few times now. What happens is the pop up flash sometimes won't lock in the closed position, so if I take make finger off it pops up again.

If I put my K200D into it's camera bag so the flash is head down, it'll usually lock after some time, but if I open it again immediately after i'll have the same problem again. This is the first winter my K200D has seen, so i'm wondering it's something to do with the cold. If so that would be pretty poor as the temperature never gets that low here in Sydney.

08-01-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I've seen this problem here on this forum before, but haven't read enough to know much about it. So you're not the only one with it, I'm sure you'll get it solved once someone here with knowledge about it comes in.
08-01-2009, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It could be the locking mechanism was adjusted with too little tolerance. What I mean is the actual lock is on the grip side of the flash. If you try to push the flash down on the main dial side, the lock might not catch the flash. I first noticed this behavior with my DS.
08-01-2009, 02:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
It could be the locking mechanism was adjusted with too little tolerance. What I mean is the actual lock is on the grip side of the flash. If you try to push the flash down on the main dial side, the lock might not catch the flash. I first noticed this behavior with my DS.
I noticed that the lock is on the grip side. I've tried applying pressure directly on top of it but that still doesn't work

08-01-2009, 03:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe battery power has something to do with it and try using a new set? Try resetting your K200D's settings? Lol I know some of these things sound ridiculous but you never know. I guess you can just try all the most simple stuff and see if something unexpected comes up to fix it, other than that I can't figure out anything else.
08-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lythari Quote
I noticed that the lock is on the grip side. I've tried applying pressure directly on top of it but that still doesn't work
Do you hear a click when push the flash back? If so but the flash doesn't lock, then quite possible the electronic release hook was defective and you might need to replace it (the whole top has to come off). If you don't hear the click, then you can loose the hex screw on the pop-up flash a little till the flash lock easy enough w/o feeling loose. That screw is threadlock btw.
08-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Do you hear a click when push the flash back? If so but the flash doesn't lock, then quite possible the electronic release hook was defective and you might need to replace it (the whole top has to come off). If you don't hear the click, then you can loose the hex screw on the pop-up flash a little till the flash lock easy enough w/o feeling loose. That screw is threadlock btw.
Ah, I see what the problem is. On the grip side of the flash there is a hook that latches the flash in the closed position. The hook is on a circular mount which can rotate ~30 degrees so as to release the flash. Behind the hook towards the back of the camera there is a rubber covered button. The problem is that when the button is depressed, the release hook was being pulled back so the flash never locked! Looks like i'll have to take in in to get fixed

03-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #8

The thread is actually backwards from normal screws. I have the same problem, and took it apart and ruined the latch because I didn't realize the threads were backwards. I was able to order a replacement, but it took several months to get here and by that time I had forgotten some details of how it went together. The solenoid clicks, but won't open the latch. I'm here on the forums looking for more photos or hints about how the spring that come up through the solenoid goes in.

Rob