Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K200D, a dilemma of size and the future ?

I have way to many K200D's, but I think it is a great little camera. I love the size, the small battery grip. The camera fits my hands like a glove. The image quality is better than my sold K10D.

Pentax Japan just announced the end run of the K20D's, and with that will come its replacement in a month or so, I would assume.

Would you buy another K200D, as they are no longer being produced and getting harder to get, and just "KEEP IT AS NEW" (in case the replacement is as large as the K20D).

Or would you wait for the K20D/K200D replacement ? If the replacement is K20D size I won't get it ..... and there is the question ... I want the same size as the K200D.

Do you think the replacement will be K200D size ?

wll

08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
I have way to many K200D's, but I think it is a great little camera. I love the size, the small battery grip. The camera fits my hands like a glove. The image quality is better than my sold K10D.

Pentax Japan just announced the end run of the K20D's, and with that will come its replacement in a month or so, I would assume.

Would you buy another K200D, as they are no longer being produced and getting harder to get, and just "KEEP IT AS NEW" (in case the replacement is as large as the K20D).

Or would you wait for the K20D/K200D replacement ? If the replacement is K20D size I won't get it ..... and there is the question ... I want the same size as the K200D.

wll
Note the K-7 is almost identical in size to the K200D.

I'd expect any K200D replacement (if such a thing ever happens) to be the same size or smaller.
08-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had my K100DS side by side with the the K7 and it is nearly identical in size. Ergonomically speaking the K7 feels better with the only thing throwing me with my short hands on time with it is the placement of the AF button. It sits exactly where my OK button would be on my K100DS. The K7 battery grip allows you to use AA batteries as well so you kinda get what you have with the K200D.
08-01-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote

wll
Of course you do, you need to send one to me

Seriously, with the K7 and K2000 and K200, Pentax has acknowledged their roots. No doubt in my mind that Pentax will continue to make a K20 sized camera and the smaller varient. I would not buy more K200's at this time. I'm confident that ISO and focus performance will continue to improve over time, in all brands, and suspect you'd miss some of the improvements over the horizon.

I'm on a Pentaxian high right now, i just spent the last 2 days with my latest lens, the Pentax 50-135mm. What an awesome lens, and it weighs about 24 oz, the same as my K20. I was glad to have the extra grip of the K20 to hang onto it, but i suspect it would work just as well on your camera as Pentax seems to know how to dimension grips. The point is - you don't have to worry about continuing fine products from Pentax.

08-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think Pentax will keep making better and better cameras, some of which will be larger than the K200D, some of which will be smaller, and some will be around the same size. Doens't make much sense to me to pass up on a future better camera because you are concerned all future models will be bigger - that's just not likely.