Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2009, 04:28 AM   #1

question about dslr models

Hi, I have an ist dl currently but was thinking of upgrading... I love the weatherproof feature with the K20D, Any input on the other dslr models they have?

08-02-2009, 05:35 AM   #2

I just went from the Ds2 to the K20D, and I can't believe the advances, particularly for the price of the K20D. I'd strongly suggest that you go ahead and get the K20D. It'll do everything you'll need and do it well.
08-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's weather sealing in particular that interests you, the K10D, K200D (both discontinued but still available if you look hard enough) and brand new K-7 also have it. The real big advantage newer models have comapred to the DL is shake reduction (SR), present on all of the above and and also the (discontinued) K100D and the (current) K2000 (aka K-m).

Of there, the K-m is most like your DL in terms of size and general ergonomics, but lacks weather sealing. K200D is closest among models with weather sealing. K10D, K20D, and K-7 are a big step in overall features. K10D and K20D are also a lot larger.
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by WalterGA Quote
I just went from the Ds2 to the K20D, and I can't believe the advances, particularly for the price of the K20D. I'd strongly suggest that you go ahead and get the K20D. It'll do everything you'll need and do it well.
I have aPentax SLR (film) with several lenses. If I upgrade to a DSLR, can I use all these lenses successfully?
Scooop

08-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by scooop Quote
I have aPentax SLR (film) with several lenses. If I upgrade to a DSLR, can I use all these lenses successfully?
Scooop
Yes as long as they are K mount, M42 (screwmount) lenses would require an adapter.
08-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mamakeith Quote
Hi, I have an ist dl currently but was thinking of upgrading... I love the weatherproof feature with the K20D, Any input on the other dslr models they have?

I went from a *ist DL to a K10D and have not regretted it one bit. It's pretty much all the camera I need for now. I'm not convinced a K-7 or even a K20D is worth the extra bucks for me until my skills catch the camera. But the additional features of the K10D over the DL ARE worth it. Dual Dials, weatherproofing and SR made it a no brainer for me.
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From *ist to K20D is a number of generations and leagues of improvements, functionality, speed and user-friendly operations. No question there, you'll be more than impressed.

08-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Scooop
Successfully, yes, But look up the term "crop factor" (and see if you can wade through the arguments over what it means and whether it's a good way of measuring what it measures). Because all Pentax DSLR's have sensors that are smaller than 35mm film, the field of view of your lenses on a DSLR will be that of a lens 1.5 times as long in film. So a 35mm lens on a DSLR has the same field of view (more or less) as a 50mm lens on film. Meaning you will be more telephoto-heavy in your lens lineup, and correspondingly wide-angle-light.
08-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The *istd ( any model ) to a k20D will feel like going from a 386 to a quad core, really! The k7 is just nicer than the K20D but not by a huge amount, but enough
08-04-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Inactive Account

go for the k20 while they're still available and at a great price!
08-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Scooop
They'll fit, but maybe not work "successfully" for you. Besides the crop factor issue, the various series (screw mount, M, A, etc. ) will have various degrees of their original (on their intended bodies) functionality, so you have to research a little to determine whether you'll find the functionality of a given lens on your body would be acceptable. Different people have different opinions - it's a matter of personal preference.

Paul